TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

Also: Anyone find the audio wierd on the Austin DVDs? I noticed it gets lower after his ECW promos.. and then during the HBK/SCSA vs Owen/Bulldog match on disc two, the commentary sounds like they're announcing inside a tin can.

I'm just making these posts as I watch the Austin DVDs.. but what's up with them leaving out Bret/Austin at WM13 and HBK/Austin with Tyson as the ref? Austin even says in the documentary parts that these are two of his most favourite matches.. and yet they just get skimmed over. Wierd.

I'm just making these posts as I watch the Austin DVDs.. but what's up with them leaving out Bret/Austin at WM13 and HBK/Austin with Tyson as the ref? Austin even says in the documentary parts that these are two of his most favourite matches.. and yet they just get skimmed over. Wierd.

I believe they made a conscious effort not to repeat matches from other dvds.

Everyone has seen those countless times, no need to make that much a issue of it.

True. But not everyone owns every other DVD that's been released. Plus, I can understand doing this sort of thing for say, a John Cena DVD, because he's really no one in the grand scheme of wrestling history. But Austin is a pretty iconic figure, you'd think that they'd make an exception.

Also, I know the Bret WM13 match is on the Hitman's DVD set.. but what set is the HBK/Austin/Tyson one on? Cuz whatever it is, I don't have it.

Is the documentary better then the Heroes of World Class DVD?

Absolutely not. It's a nice companion piece if you have Heroes already, but they don't go as in depth at all. WWE revisionist history paints Michael Hayes in a savior's light and more or less how if The Freebirds didn't go to Dallas it would have been nothing. I grew up on World Class so for me to have some of the footage on DVD I won't complain, but documentary wise, Heroes is eons better. That was one of my two favorite wrestling DVD's last year (the other being the Pillman DVD).

Kmart this week (thru Saturday) has a two pack Royal Rumble dvd, 2007 and 2008, for $14.99.

Checked out the JBL/Jericho match, WWE actually edited the entire botched bulldog out of the match. The boos are still extremely evident.

Not an uncommon practice by WWE.

Still doesn't mean I don't hate it. It happened live, everyone saw it clear as day, so why would you try to edit it out after the whole world saw it?

I think my favourite edit is the in the Jericho / Rhyno match from SummerSlam 2001. Because they repeated a spot that began with an irish whip, you see the SummerSlam set in the background at the beginning of the spot, then they're running towards it in the next shot.

The crowd was turning on the match anyway since it was terrible. The botched bulldog just made it worse

There's not liking the match and actively booing it. I thought the match was good myself, but not many agree with me. This is very noticeable.

A couple edits I note. Mike Adamle's botch of Hardy's name is missing. Taker's legdrop on Snitsky through a table is now seen live. I know WWE does this all the time, it just interests me having seen the show live and now in edited form. One odd thing that remained though is the "Wrestlemania: 63 Days away" spot. WWE needs to take out those spots meant for the live show.

The Jericho / JBL match was fine for what it was. I wasn't getting myself overhyped for it, I just enjoyed it because it was a fresh feud and had a good story to it. Shame the whole feud got dropped.

The Jericho / JBL match was fine for what it was. I wasn't getting myself overhyped for it, I just enjoyed it because it was a fresh feud and had a good story to it. Shame the whole feud got dropped.

But it didn't get dropped. Jericho beat JBL the week before No Way Out.

How long is the documentary part of the Austin DVD? I just saw it at K-Mart for $19.99, but backed out since rent is due tomorrow.

But it didn't get dropped. Jericho beat JBL the week before No Way Out.

Ah, no wonder. I missed it. Cool, thanks.

Another great editing botch is at Armegddon 2000, where Jericho bulldogs Kane through a table. The table didn't break the first time, so they did it again. In the edit, Jericho starts with Kane's head under his left shoulder, then they crash through the table with Kane's head under Jericho's right side.

It's not the editing that's bothering me (although that's not helping) it's the censoring. Austin's middle fingers are blurred whenever he flips someone off. Terry Funk is now beeped during that Shotgun Saturday Night segment when he calls Pentigal's mother a whore and JR an Oakie ***hole. It's not so much the language but Funk saying it that's so funny. It's bad enough that the DVDs are now being censored when the original footage wasn't years ago but the fact they pull this shit with 24/7. 24/7 is an On-Demand service that only an adult is going to order and probably watch. This censoring on the WWF's part is inexcuseable. I can live with the music right being altered and I've had to get used to the blurred logos. Although Vince should have just given the World Wildlife Fund a lot of money years ago to avoid that.

That's not true. 24/7 is a service that is available to and for children just as much as it is for adults. Kids, even at young ages are aware of the brand name that is WWE and anything asscociated with the name becomes attractive to kids, especially video content.

The crowd was turning on the match anyway since it was terrible. The botched bulldog just made it worse

There's not liking the match and actively booing it. I thought the match was good myself, but not many agree with me. This is very noticeable.

A couple edits I note. Mike Adamle's botch of Hardy's name is missing. Taker's legdrop on Snitsky through a table is now seen live. I know WWE does this all the time, it just interests me having seen the show live and now in edited form. One odd thing that remained though is the "Wrestlemania: 63 Days away" spot. WWE needs to take out those spots meant for the live show.

Yea I just watched the dvd last night and thought after the match, what happened to the bulldog spot? But they edited it very well as I didn't even catch the edit at first. being there live, the crowd booed the blown move, but the reason for all the booing seemed to be that everyone was bored by the match.

Plus I see that Jericho was bleeding worse than I thought live, as I only saw it on the scoreboard screen, as I was sitting directly across the room from the WM 24 sign, so I couldn't see the Entranceway and Titan Tron

Other notes: I knew they would cover Admale's blunder. Live, the crowd laughed alot when he made the botch, at least in my section all the way upstairs.

so the taker legdrop wasn't seen live? I remember not knowing who Taker was doing it to, but saw it happen. It's hard to tell from so far away.

But they didn't cover up the boos for Rey and cheers for Edge.

Cena's entrance pop surprised me, cuz it sounded even louder on TV than it did live. Then again that also depended on where you were sitting I suppose.

side note, I finally got the RAW anniv. dvd. Cool lenticular cover on it. Sad to see they hacked the Flair/Hennig match to bits, but marked out for the kid/razor match and shawn/marty match (though note to WWE:that match wasn't the one voted MOTY by PWI, though I'm sure everyone mentioned that already)

Updated Listings for Hardys DVD (match listing for was complete on the first post about it, but now there's a chapter list and match dates):

Disc One – The Matt Hardy Story

Matt Hardy was born to wrestle – from his earliest days in homemade rings he and his brother created through his unbelievable matches on SmackDown. The road to the top wasn’t always smooth, including some behind-the-scenes battles with other superstars that spilled into the ring. This DVD tells Matt’s complete story, and collects some amazing matches.

Driven to be Successful

The Trampoline Days

OMEGA

The Big Time

Wrestlers Become Stars

Team Extreme

Mattitude

Back on RAW

Love Triangle

Hardyz Reunion

The MVP Challenges

The Future is Bright

No DQ; No Count Out Match

Matt Hardy vs. Kane

Vengeance (11/07/04)

Steel Cage Match

Matt Hardy vs. Edge

Unforgiven (18/09/05)

Money in The Bank Qualifying Match

Matt Hardy vs. Joey Mercury

SmackDown! (02/03/07)

Matt Hardy vs. Mr. Kennedy

SmackDown! (04/05/07)

Tag Team Title Match

The Hardy Boyz vs. The Serial Thrillaz

Omega (29/01/99)

DVD Extras

# High Voltage Amateur WCW Challenge Video

# Matt Starts a Fire

# Matt Hardy’s Crib

Disc Two – The Jeff Hardy Story

Jeff Hardy has ascended from one of the top tag teams in WWE history to a wildly popular singles star with the WWE Championship in his sight. This DVD examines his colourful career in and out of the ring, including his recent spectacular success on Raw.

A Unique Enigma

Poetry in Motion

imagInation

Singles Release

Freedom

Evolution

Dream 2 Defy

Tag Team Tables Match

The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudleyz

Royal Rumble (23/01/00)

Intercontinental Title Match

Jeff Hardy vs. Triple H

SmackDown! (12/04/01)

Intercontinental Championship Steel Cage Match

Jeff Hardy vs. Johnny Nitro

New Years Revolution (07/01/07)

Money In The Bank Qualifying Match

Jeff Hardy vs. Shelton Benjamin

RAW (26/02/07)

World Tag Team Title Match

The Hardys vs. Cade & Murdoch

Judgment Day (20/05/07)

Winner gets WWE Championship Title shot at Royal Rumble

Jeff Hardy vs. Triple H

Armageddon (16/12/07)

Steel Cage Match

Jeff Hardy vs. Umaga

RAW (07/01/08)

DVD Extras

# Hardy Dogs

# Old Grow

That's not true. 24/7 is a service that is available to and for children just as much as it is for adults. Kids, even at young ages are aware of the brand name that is WWE and anything asscociated with the name becomes attractive to kids, especially video content.

Maybe so, but I would wager that most kids would be into the current generation of stuff and not Terry Funk on Shotgun.

That said, the DVD's and programs have ratings for a reason. If it's rated for coarse language in the first place then why the hell do they bother censoring it, especially when someone's shelling out $20 to $30...

For those who haven't picked up the newest, 3 disc Rey, Cena or HBK sets and still want them you may in for a bargin. Some people the DVD boards I read occasionally are reporting that the Ultimate Fan Packs Best Buy put them in for the holidays (which was the DVD set with a t-shirt and other assorted merchandise for the wrestler who was featured on the DVD) are on clearance in the stores for $12.99. So a lot cheaper than they are selling just the DVD for and you get a bunch of extra stuff. I haven't checked this out yet myself, but if someone is interested, may be worth taking a look.

I just picked up the Cena and HBK Best Buy sets for $12.99 each. I didn't have the two DVD sets anyway, so I figured what the hell. I'm not interested in the bonus stuff in em though, so I have no clue what I'll do with it all. I just thought it was a great deal for the DVD sets alone.