TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

MMA in 2007

Well, here it is. Obviously the exception is M1, K1 and UFC on the 29th which of course can be filled in after.

This is a thread meant for both opinions and discussion. If you're bringing two-word sentences, please fuck right off. DEE-SKUSH-ON.

Fight of The Year

Fighter of the Year

Show of The Year

KO of The Year

Submission of The Year

BTW, this is all stuff we can build on. Feel free to add your own category but it'd better be worth our time.

Fight of The Year: Fuck, this is close mainly because Tyson Griffin and Roger Huerta made a decision to completely steal the show from every other UFC fighter in 2007 but I'm going with Tyson Griffin vs Frankie Edgar from UFC 67. Going into the fight we knew that Griffin had a big rep going for him but within 2 minutes of that fight you knew that Frankie Edgar gave two shits about Tyson's reputation and just wanted to win. For every move in this fight there was a counter. For every counter, a counter-counter. Griffin takes Edgar down, Frankie reverses it. Edgar shows great boxing standing, Tyson lands a huge uppercut. Mad takedowns, scrambles and everything else that makes MMA awesome. Oh, and one of the craziest endings to a fight in a long, long time.

Honorable mentions: Tyson Griffin vs Clay Guida, UFC 72, Clay Guida vs Roger Huerta, Ultimate Finale Live.

Fighter of The Year: Again, a tough category but I'm gonna be a bitch and award a tie to Quinton Jackson and Anderson Silva mainly because both guys mirror each other in terms of the year they've each had. Both started it off at UFC 67 and looked less-then-perfect against mid-level opponents but managed to come back strong in the second and finish it off. Then in their second fight both were looked at as the underdog with Silva against Marquardt and Jackson against Liddell. Again, both shock us all with completely and utterly destructive performances that leaves no doubt in anyones mind that these guys are at the top of the heap in MMA for their respective divisions. The third fight is a mixed bag as we all knew that Henderson would be a tough test for Rampage but he still managed to show heart and toughness on the ground and well......Silva running through Franklin like a hot knife through butter was beautiful to watch.

Show of The Year: UFC 74 comes to mind right off the bat. Huerta/Crane was crazy good, GSP taking out Koscheck, Cote pulling out the upset and Randy being Randy is a very solid show. Oddly enough the UFC free cards on Spike make a very good argument with the Stout/Fisher UFN and Guida/Huerta Ultimate Finale Live card being very fun but I'm going with PRIDE: The Second Coming in Vegas which had basically everything you could want in a card. Awesome 155 fights with Danzig/Sakurai and Ireland/Hansen, the African Assassin making his name known against 205 Noguiera, Diaz/Gomi putting on a FOTYC, Shogun going Superman on Overeem and a great M.E with Hendo/Silva and crazy-ass finish.

Honorable Mentions: UFC 74, Stout vs Fisher UFN

KO of The Year: There have been quite a few to choose from in UFC alone with Gonzaga/Mirko and Salmon/Rashad but I'm going to go with Marios Zromskis vs Ross Mason from Cage Rage. If there were ever a flying knee that could challenge the greatness that is Anderson Silva vs Carlos Newton this one would be it. The fact that it was a good fight before the finish is the cherry on top. Marios actually had a good 2007 with three solid fights and wins under his belt.

Honorable mention: The above-mentioned fights. High-kicks in 2007, ya heard?

Submission of the Year: Chris Lytle vs Jason Gilliam from UFC 73 where Lytle makes the decision to go rapist on Gilliams head and arms locking in a "Good Jesus that looks painful" topside triangle choke/americana combo.

Honorable mentions: Nick Diaz's gogoplata on Gomi at the PRIDE show in February, Joe Lauzon's rear naked choke on Jason Reinhardt at UFC 78.

Bring the goodness, forum.

The Gonzaga KO was vicious and NO ONE was expecting it....also the way Mirko wilted sideways on the way down...only to be topped off with his ankle twisted 180 degrees and spinning around the correct way after his foot comes off the mat.

I'd also say Houston Alexander getting KTFO was a big one because of new expectations by himself and the fans in general for him going into the fight, and seeing him getting KTFO as viciously as he had done it to others in the past was an eye-opener.

I'll go with Gonzaga though because of who it was he KTFO.

Fight of The Year - I'm not going with a typical answer for this... My FOTY is Jared Rollins Vs. Jon Koppenhaver, both fighters put it all on the line in this one. It was a great roller coaster ride. I loved every minute of it!

Fighter of the Year - Anderson Silva, hands down for me. He made everyone put in front of him(aside from Lutter) look like 2nd rate talent. I thought Nate Marquardt was going to give Silva a very tough fight and possibly win, but Anderson Silva dominated him. I can't wait to see how he does against Henderson.

Show of The Year - UFC 71, for personal reasons. Rampage getting the belt was the best moment of the year for me.

KO of The Year - Rampage Vs. Liddell, for personal reasons. :)

Submission of The Year - I agree with LOTC on Chris Lytle Vs. Jason Gilliam at UFC 73

Biggest suprise of the year for me was Mirko Cro Cop getting outstruck by Cheick Kongo. Even bigger suprise to me then Gonzaga beating Mirko, I always thought Gonzaga could win by flash KO, and had a legit shot at defeating Mirko. Where as I wasn't really sold on Kongo.

I think my FOTY might just be Alberto Crane vs. Roger Huerta. Watching that fight in close proximity with the other FOTYC's, it makes most of the other candidates seem slow in comparison (which is really quite the statement). Constant movement, super-competitive, with the story being Huerta pushing a pace that Crane can keep up with initially, but ultimately, begins to drain the BJJ champ. The fact that it had a finish sorta puts it over the top for me.

LOTC brought it up, but I will expand, the Fight Night 10 card had an awesome main event in Stout vs. Fisher, a come from behind with Fitch besting Carneiro, big time KO's in McFedries and Johnson, and a super-dope performance by Tarvares. I also thought Fight Night 11 was really good. It didn't have that one big FOTYC on it, but it had two crazy fights in Leben/Martin and Quarry/Sell; and Hazelett/Goulet, Maynard/Veres, Cummo/Crocota were shorties but goodies. Alves/Hironaka was a fucking wicked shitkicking, emphasis on kicking and Miller/Garcia was a fine bout. I don't think I'd have this in my top 3 shows for the year, but it's one of the better offerings.

I'd say my 1 and 2 shows for the year were Respect and Second Coming though. That PRIDE show was a total game changer, with Diaz, Hendo, and Sok pulling off huge upsets; the former two being exciting bouts. Respect had Couture dominating Gonzaga, GSP dominating Koscheck, my aforementioned FOTY, plus Stevenson/Batman was a really good fight IIRC, Leites and Babalu pull of sweet subs, and PEE COAT wins~!

I'll add another one:

Breakout Fighter of the Year

This is a pretty big year for Breakout fighters; guys who were unknowns in 2006 and became contenders not even a full year later.

In regards to most relevant to the division, I'll say Frankie Edgar, given his proximity in skill and position in the division to the title and his ability to win against the top guys.

Would it be crazy to throw Soko's name into the ring as Fighter of The Year if he somehow beats LYOTO tomorrow night?

Not at all. Beating 3 Top 10 LHW's all in one year is just as impressive at Silva's title run. He will also be no question the break out fighter of 2007, should he win.

Leave it to a tool like Clementi to try both a full nelson and a sloppy knee buckler in the same round.

EDIT: And for Guillard to do fuck all in capitalizing on both.

Fighter of The Year who really isn't Fighter of The Year aka Sentimental Favorite Award: Clay Guida.

Poor dude ends his year at 1-3 in UFC whereas he should at least be 2-2 as I thought he beat Griffin and some people would even put him at 3-1 as there was a sizeable amount of fans who thought he beat Thomas too. Add in him solidly schooling Huerta for 2 out of 3 rounds and Guida take this in a walk.

UFC 74: Respect is such a good show. Might be a top 5 UFC show of all time.

The blood splatter in Babalu/Heath was fucking gorgeous. The only fight that was bad was Guida vs. Aurelio. Huerta vs. Crane is so my Fight of the Year. Crane is so fucking awesome. I can't wait for him vs. Pellegrino. That fight is soda-licious. Cote's flash KO of Kendall still gets me cheering.