TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Raw Thread 12/24

Why not:

Santa Claus may not be sliding down the chimneys of good boys and girls around the world until Dec. 25, but WWE has a heartfelt, sincere gift for our fans to open a few hours early.

This Monday night, WWE’s family invites you and your loved ones to spend a special Christmas Eve with the men and women of the Armed Forces in Iraq, as WWE presents its 5th Annual Tribute to the Troops. This very special edition of Monday Night Raw – WWE’s most important broadcast of the year – is WWE’s way of bringing the troops home to you for the holidays.

WWE’s Tribute to the Troops is truly one of a kind, as it is the only entertainment event broadcast from Iraq. Since 2003, WWE has traveled to the Middle East to serve up a slice of Americana to those serving in the Armed Forces, and the Superstars, who make their living fighting in the squared circle, extend a thank you to those who fight for their country each and every day.

Since the troops can’t physically be with their families, WWE’s tribute gives them a chance to send some holiday love back home. At a time when family is most cherished, the WWE family brings some love to those overseas who have sacrificed these irreplaceable moments to defend our way of life.

If you’re a diehard WWE fan, have loved ones serving in the military or just love to be entertained, you won’t want to miss WWE’s 5th Annual Tribute to the Troops. Tune in to USA Network this Monday night for your slice of Holiday cheer.

Anybody gonna watch or will this be one dead thread?

Traditionally its a dead thread..spoilers have been available for a couple weeks and most people are out with family or doing last minute shopping/wrapping etc.

I have to get up at 4am for work so Im probably not gonna be able to stay up to watch it..

It's tradition for me to watch every year but I doubt I'll post in the thread.

Here's the match listing:

-Randy Orton vs. Chris Jericho

- Jeff Hardy vs. Carlito

- Rey Mysterio vs. Mark Henry

- Triple H & Shawn Michaels vs. Umaga & Ken Kennedy

- Layla & Kelly Kelly vs. Maria & Mickie James

- Hardcore Holly vs. Ron Simmons

I'm debating over whether or not to even bother watching. I know you get longer matches than normal on these shows, but the card looks kinda yucky. Plus, there's always a whole bunch of self-congratulatory video packages about how the WWE is the best thing to hit the third world since the Red Cross. Yeah, it's impressive that you're holding a show in a warzone, but you don't have to keep reminding us about it over and over. The fact that the ring is set up in the middle of a desert with an audience entirely dressed in uniform should be enough to clue us in.

I'm liking this match between Orton and Jericho so far. I didn't see their Armageddon bout.

Nice touch with the blue mat to go along with the red, white, and blue ropes.

Orton with the OOO-RAH~! DDT.

I'm debating over whether or not to even bother watching. I know you get longer matches than normal on these shows, but the card looks kinda yucky. Plus, there's always a whole bunch of self-congratulatory video packages about how the WWE is the best thing to hit the third world since the Red Cross. Yeah, it's impressive that you're holding a show in a warzone, but you don't have to keep reminding us about it over and over. The fact that the ring is set up in the middle of a desert with an audience entirely dressed in uniform should be enough to clue us in.

and it'll be replayed 100 times in the next 2 weeks on every wwe program.

Kennedy would be so over if they kept him as a tweener like during his last few weeks on Smackdown and right after he won MitB.

Kennedy has great mannerisms but he needs to learn to, y'know, work. A brilliant heel touch is slowly, methodically walking down to the ring while deliberately dodging every single troop's outstretched hand.

Kennedy would be so over if they kept him as a tweener like during his last few weeks on Smackdown and right after he won MitB.

Agreed. I don't like most characters when they're trying to be tweenvers, but really Kennedy's shtick can work as either the obnoxious heel or the cocky loudmouth (Jericho, Rock) babyface, whatever is needed.

I wonder what happens when the troops are out of Iraq?

It doesn't look like we have to worry about that anytime in the relative near future. Also, the U.S. has millitary bases around the world. They could do one in Germany or South Korea par example. But most likely, they'll just do taped shows at random arenas.

Pretty standard Troop Tribute show, which has developed a formula by now. Mostly babyfaces going over clean, a welcome lack of backstage vignettes, divas catfighting, Santa Claus, and one really great workrate match. Whoops, guess they forgot that last part this year. And MAN do they love them some video packages. I don't mind the ones which were actually about the soldiers, but it got tiresome hearing the WWE suck its own cock in a mock-humble manner about how great they are for Supporting Teh Troops.

I've seen some people online still mark hard for Mark Henry. Why?

Pretty standard Troop Tribute show, which has developed a formula by now. Mostly babyfaces going over clean, a welcome lack of backstage vignettes, divas catfighting, Santa Claus, and one really great workrate match. Whoops, guess they forgot that last part this year. And MAN do they love them some video packages. I don't mind the ones which were actually about the soldiers, but it got tiresome hearing the WWE suck its own cock in a mock-humble manner about how great they are for Supporting Teh Troops.

Because he's big and nasty. If you want workrate you're obviously looking elsewhere, but if you just want a non-giant guy beating the piss out of someone and throwing them from here to the Iron Sheik's front doorstep, Henry's your guy.

Also, he's great for "When will ______ be out of action next, and for how long?" pools.

It seems to be the same kind of argument as with people who like Khali.

Why do you like that guy?

"He plays a great monster!"

What do you mean? He just mostly stands there while the other guy bumps off him.

"Exactly!"

He doesn't DO anything.

"He's a powerhouse!"

He can't even lift a guy up for a move without almost dropping him.

"That's what happens when you're the size of a MONSTER!"

If you're a top wrestler, shouldn't you be able to wrestle, at least a little?

"You don't have to when you're REAL BIG!"

He can't even do a decent-looking punch. Everything he does relies completely on the other guy to bump and sell.

"REAL BIG!"

He never changes his facial expression and can't cut a decent promo.

"MONSTER~!"

Name me a good match this guy's had where he wasn't completely carried.

"HOSS!"

He fucked up getting pinned tonight, he couldn't roll backwards properly.

"REAL BIG~!"

Should I even go into his track record with hurting other guys?

"BIIIIIG~!!!"

Agreed. I don't like most characters when they're trying to be tweenvers, but really Kennedy's shtick can work as either the obnoxious heel or the cocky loudmouth (Jericho, Rock) babyface, whatever is needed.

Except he doesn't have anywhere near the charisma or mic skills as those guys. His fued with HBK has exposed him as the midcard (at best) talent that he is.

It seems to be the same kind of argument as with people who like Khali.

I'm a Khali fan, but he definitely has a lot of shortcomings as a wrestler. Henry, on the other hand, has nice enough offense, sells and bumps well enough, and works had. That's more than plenty of guys can say.

I wanna catch the replay of this.. I just love these shows.... and plus A slinged John Cena gives an FU to McMahon? Hilarity!!!

Plus.... Mark Henry vs Rey Rey!!!

Henry seems like a truly nice person, but I've just never been able to get into his ring work. He's so bulky, he can't do much other than clubbing forearms and his slam finisher.

Sadly we all watch raw at my house on a tuesday (me and my friends, not all of England) and we have decided that if you were blind Mark Henry would be better as they pronounce his name 'Ma Kennery....

We are also of the opinion that it would be better for everyone if he just fucked off.

We are grown ups :lol: