TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Foreman Grill

Got one from my parents for X-Mas, pleasantly surprised at how well it does steak. Learned that bacon is best left to frying pans. For those who own one what do you find works well and what doesn't?

Guest Smues

The Foreman grill is so many kinds of awesome. Burgers and grilled cheese are what I primarily use it for. Boneless chicken breasts workout fairly well too, although come out a bit rubbery sometimes. Bacon doesn't do so well on the standard one, but if you have the one with the different plates bacon cooks quite well on the griddle plate. Sausage too. Eggs not so much, but I find if I start the eggs on the griddle plate and then move them to a frying pan I have an easier time doing omelettes. Waffles also rule with the waffle plates.

Guest Vitamin X

Hot dogs and fish are probably the worst things I've found the grill does. Ever since then, the only thing I use it for these days is as a grilled cheese sandwich maker, and occasionally making a steak for my g/f. Veggies work very well here, though.

The Foreman grill is so many kinds of awesome. Burgers and grilled cheese are what I primarily use it for. Boneless chicken breasts workout fairly well too, although come out a bit rubbery sometimes. Bacon doesn't do so well on the standard one, but if you have the one with the different plates bacon cooks quite well on the griddle plate. Sausage too. Eggs not so much, but I find if I start the eggs on the griddle plate and then move them to a frying pan I have an easier time doing omelettes. Waffles also rule with the waffle plates.

My girlfriend parents has the skillet plate. If you get that piece, this should be the only thing to use for cooking breakfast.

Agreed on the panini/bread. Something about a toasty sandwich with grill marks makes it nice. Steaks are kind of dependent on the type you use. Anything with a bone in seems to not cook as well, but you get some pretty good results with the cheaper cuts - hence, fajitas work pretty well. Striploin just doesn't taste the same from the Foreman grill as it does from the bbq or even the broiler.

Bacon can be good, but it's difficult to get right (I've gotten it right maybe once). Try not to pull a Michael Scott with the bacon though...

Mainly burgers and steak, although redbaron was right about ham also being good. I find chicken doesn't work very well; I mainly stick to the oven with chicken breasts.

I've never used anything but a microwave to cook bacon.

I'd never use a Foreman grill to cook a steak. Too little precision. For something like a chicken breast, where you're more going for "it's done!" than a certain temperature, it works pretty well. Foremans also do a lot better with dry seasonings than wet ones or marinades; on lazy winter nights, a chicken breast covered in jerk seasoning makes a good-ass meal.

Yeah, chicken is great on the Foreman. Same with fajita meat and cheaper cuts of steak.

Haven't done sandwiches yet, but I might try one in a few days.

Eh, hot dogs can go either way on the "good/bad" scale. Bacon.. it sucks. Especially if you buy thick cuts of bacon. Waffles are meh.. I'd rather go with a waffle maker than George.

Totally agreed on the steak thing but our apartment doesn't allow BBQ's, otherwise we'd do it that way.

Cast-iron skillet. You can get a decent one for $15. Heat to 500 and that thing will rock a steak like a motherfucker.

Boneless chicken breasts are the best. A Foreman favorite of mine is chicken fajitas. The grill melts everything together just right, leaving the wrap crispy (as well as leaving the grill lines) and making it like a business envelope so that nothing falls out or falls apart. It's awesome, just pick up one of those Tyson fajita kits for about $5-$7 with everything included and try it out. It also turns out to be really easy to clean your grill off too, not too messy.