TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 80: Rapid Fire

I think BJ's aggression and fearlessness might work against him, as I think his cardio might still be suspect, for a number of reasons. Maybe it's the Countdown show doing it's job, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Stevenson come into the fight with the better mindset and for that to play a major role in the outcome. While I expect BJ to win, I can't help but think Stevenson is going to be able pull off the upset.

When has Stevenson been the pillar of conditioning? In my view he's as suspect as Penn to gassing out if the pace is quick enough.

The biggest advantage Stevenson has is he knows BJ tends to fade if he doesn't finish early and will be doing his best to bore the fuck out of us as he stalls for the championship round. But I can't see that happening.

Penn has has KO'ed Thomas & Uno, roughed up Hughes & GSP and smashed Gomi's jaw 2 inches to the left. Stevenson's stand-up achievements pretty much begins and ends with dropping Guillard. While it isn't given that BJ will wreck Joe's shit standing, that's easily the most likely scenario if Joe can't take Penn down.

I'm not going to say that BJ is never going to gas out again, but you have to believe he is far less likely to do so than he was in the past.

He flat out admitted on countdown that up until a year ago he was still eating McDonalds after training sessions. I have to think that finally having his shit together will increase the volume of his gas tank.

As for this fight, I have a hard time seeing how Stevenson has enough to take B.J.. Some of the subs he's hit on lesser opponents (the beautiful guillotine to the coke fiend stands out) B.J. would probably only get caught with if he was rocked or winded and I've already covered what I think about B.J. gassing out.

I'm going with B.J. Penn via submission in either 2 or 3.

What BJ lacks in technique and variety of strikes he makes up for in aggression and relative fearlessness, coupled with the ability to take a shot. Putting pressure on guys who don't like to strike is more effective, imo, than picking shots and letting them keep their composure standing. Plus, BJ is very good at mixing up his strikes with takedowns and clinches, so in an MMA perspective, I'd say BJ's stand up is somewhat underrated, though still is something that is behind his wrestling and jj.

Joe struggled against Pellegrino, to where -at the time watching it- I would have picked Batman to win. That may change on a repeat viewing, but it's something to consider. Kurt is a good fighter, no doubt, and beating Jay R. Palmer is quite the feather in his cap, but he's no Best P4P Fighter Ever.

I pretty much agree with you pretty much on all accounts. I don't think Stevenson is on BJ's level yet, but I think he's good enough to hand with him.

I do think if Stevenson gets him to the ground, he would be go to damage BJ with GNP, instead of looking for subs.

The only problem there is that BJ has a very good chin coupled with the ability to not show any damage he might have actually taken.

It will score Stevenson points though, plus Stevenson has pretty deadly elbows. You saw how badly he cut up Yves.

Watching the Pellegrino fight, a number of positives and negatives come out of it for Joe Daddy:

A positive is his head movement while standing. He was bobbing and weaving, slipping a lot of Pellegrino's jabs, to a point to where I would consider his movement to be ahead of the game in MMA, as most fighters just keep their head as a stationary target.

Another positive was his stamina; I won't completely go against my "pillar of conditioning" comment, but the fact is in that fight with Batman, Joe finished very strong in the third round in what wasn't exactly the most physically grueling contest ever, but one that where such conditioning is impressive.

However, I think the negatives play right into BJ's favour.

Pellegrino landed a lot of uppercuts in that fight, and BJ loves to throw the uppercut, and since Joe will want to take BJ down, he'll be susceptible to it whenever he initiates or disengages from the clinch or takedown. Also, while Joe was slipping a lot of Pellegrino's single shots, when Kurt threw combos, Stevenson stayed as a stationary target. If BJ puts the heat on Joe, it might make for a short night. To top it all off, Joe's punches had little power behind them, so I don't see any reason for BJ to keep his distance and stay out of the pocket.

Guest Warriorfan

BJ Penn vs Joe Stevenson- I don't know how much weight Penn had to lose for this fight and that is the x-factor in my mind. I see Penn winning by Ssubmission in the 2nd RD at 2:09 but I think Stevenson has a great shot for the upset.

Fabricio Werdum vs Gabriel Gonzaga- Gonzaga by KO 2nd RD. He is at a whole different level now and a victory here should put him on course for a title shot again.

Aaaaargh I missed the Rivera/Grove fight. Fuck! I always love seeing Grove get pummeled into oblivion.

I got both of the upsets correct, so far, for the league. I had Kelly over Taylor as well as Jorge winning. The only one I missed so far is Lee/Sakara.

Anyways - I just couldn't justify spending the money on this but still watching it.

www.channelsurfing.net for anyone interested. It's free.

www.channelsurfing.net

B.J. Penn is 29. What the fuck is Joe Rogan talking about "tail end of his career"... especially since B.J. has said he wants to fight well into his thirties.

Wow. What a fucking cut.

I'd just like to add... despite all his issues and their very public war of words, Sean Sherk has been exceptionally professional on commentary.

I don't even know what Stevenson can take from that loss. There's nothing to build on. BJ Penn was just BETTER in every possible way.

BJ Penn having zero respect for Sherk, and not even HIDING it made me laugh.