TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Jeff Garcia carted off the practice field today

...the room is spinning...

Actually, Gruden says it's a minor injury. A hamstring strain, I think. Take that for what you will.

- Rookie Colt Brennan is scheduled to start the second half of the Redskins' first preseason game.

Looking forward to watching Colt in the NFL.

Watching him on his back? Watching him throw INTs?

- Rookie Colt Brennan is scheduled to start the second half of the Redskins' first preseason game.

Yeah, he got mauled by Georgia but the Redskins O-Line is a smidge better than the Hawaii team. I'm more interested in seeing how his release and accuracy translate to Zorn's West Coast Offense.

Yeah, he got mauled by Georgia but the Redskins O-Line is a smidge better than the Hawaii team. I'm more interested in seeing how his release and accuracy translate to Zorn's West Coast Offense.

But every D-Line in the NFL is better than Georgia's.

The Georgia D-Line crushed the Hawai'i line in every way that day - this was the worst line in years because of players leaving early. Nor have they ever had a top LT to protect guys like Rolovich, Robinson, Chang and Colt. We always needed scramblers to succeed because of this, and the only statue of the four was Chang, who was torn limb from limb every game. It also didn't help that the Warriors' halfbacks have been notoriously bad pass-blockers for nearly a decade (in part because the schemes are too complicated), so any top-level LB in the country would've had their way with them.

Brennan has every chance to succeed in the NFL. He has the playbook, the blockers, the possession receivers and the deep threats. Jason Campbell had all of this and still failed last season. Let's give Colt a few seasons to see if he fits the bill. If I were Campbell, I probably wouldn't be scared, but I'd notice that alot of the "new" offense is already programmed into Colt's brain.

Well, Colt will be the backup by default because Collins will be killed in the new offense.

I'm not going to argue about what Campbell can or can't do. If he picks up the WCO this quickly, more power to him. He will unquestionably be the Redskins' franchise quarterback if he finds success with it. But Brennan has the leg up on him. Again, don't get me wrong, this isn't a quarterback controversy of any kind, but things are working in Colt's favor.

Campbell ran a WCO in College. He should be familiar with the system. He has been getting very positive feedback from internal and external press about having an excellent training camp. He was playing behind an O-line last season that lost three of it's five starting members. It was also his first full year as the starting QB. Colt Brennan is a rookie still trying to catch up to NFL speed. He has no leg up on Campbell. If Campbell doesn't get any better over the course of the next two seasons, when Brennan might actually be able to take a real NFL snap, then we can re-visit the issue.

BTW......I got a kick out of the "It's about time" chant that Art Monk recieved during his standing ovation from the Redskins fans at the Hall of Fame Induction ceremony. Art Monk seemed really moved by it.

BTW......I got a kick out of the "It's about time" chant that Art Monk recieved during his standing ovation from the Redskins fans at the Hall of Fame Induction ceremony. Art Monk seemed really moved by it.

Monk is a class act. And Dr. Z aka Paul Zimmerman is a tired old bitter man who should be stripped of his credentials for electing players to the HOF. Zimmerman stood in Monk's way for many years for induction for God knows why. People can point out all of Monk's character and quality of humanity. Bottom line, when the man retired he was the all-time leading receiver in NFL history. That alone should have put him in Canton well before now.

I'm a diehard Bears fan, but now let the Hall do the right thing next year and induct former Vikings Cris Carter and the NFL's Ironman, Jim Marshall.

I also agree with Jay Mariotti...there is no reason as to why the Bears didn't put together a package for Favre. There's no way the Packers are letting him go to Minnesota, so the Bears could put a deal together that would give them a real shot at the divisional title again and a decent chance at getting back to the Super Bowl with as mediocre as the NFC is this year.

OXNARD, Calif. -- I was about to blog on the redemption of Quincy Carter when I heard a huge collision on the practice field. By the time NFL East blog personnel arrived, former Iowa State linebacker Tyson Smith was lying on his back. Two sources close to the situation revealed that Cowboys running back Marion Barber destroyed Smith during a blitz pickup drill.

When last seen, athletic trainer Britt Brown was asking if Smith could recall his hometown.

Source

Marion Barber WILL fuck you up.

I'm a diehard Bears fan, but now let the Hall do the right thing next year and induct former Vikings Cris Carter and the NFL's Ironman, Jim Marshall.

HOF voters can go to hell... How Cris Carter wasn't 1st ballot is a fucking disgrace.

Monk should've been in YEARS ago. And Andre Reed deserves to be in as well.

1fnyrd.png

That's not entirely accurate, though. Marion Barber had 100 yards and then Julius Jones lost 99.

The stats says Marion Barber was 6 attempts for -6 yards the game... Or were you just trying to be a smart ass?

Even if it was a preseason game, Mike Hart looked pretty decent last night. Too bad Addai is in front of him and barring an injury, he is not gonna see a snap until garbage time.

Colt Brennan needs to learn the WCO and have it down pat, because at some point he is going to play. Campbell will struggle or get hurt or something, because Washington draws quarterback controversies like a steaming pile of crap draws flies.

1fnyrd.png

That's not entirely accurate, though. Marion Barber had 100 yards and then Julius Jones lost 99.

The stats says Marion Barber was 6 attempts for -6 yards the game... Or were you just trying to be a smart ass?

Smart ass. I'm a "lifelong" Cowboys fan in that if asked what my favorite team was before I watched football, Dallas was my answer, but I started watching the Cowboys just in time for the 5-11 threepeat, Emmitt Smith actually living up to his critics by being largely a product of his line, and Troy Aikman's slow but sure descent into madness. Thus, I get all "Fuck, the other shoe has fallen!" at the slightest provocation, including but not limited to the phrase "starting running back Julius Jones," who I've never seen do anything more than strive for mediocre. Or, in short, I fall under the Czech category of sports fans.

How this turned into a biography is your guess.

Even if it was a preseason game, Mike Hart looked pretty decent last night. Too bad Addai is in front of him and barring an injury, he is not gonna see a snap until garbage time.

It's not hard to envision Hart leapfrogging Dominic Rhodes on their depth chart. My bold prediction, based on nothing, is that he'll end up not only making the team, but splitting time with Addai. Kenton Keith will be released.

HOF voters can go to hell... How Cris Carter wasn't 1st ballot is a fucking disgrace.

Monk should've been in YEARS ago. And Andre Reed deserves to be in as well.

I agree with all of the above. Monk getting hosed for so many years ended up hosing Carter, and that's just not right. I'm absolutely shocked that Marshall's not already in. That makes NO sense at all.

*image removed for ease of loading*

:lol:

Just messing with you. Barber's my 2nd favorite non-Portis running back in the league and is an absolute beast...except when he's playing the Redskins. heh

Like Kinetic, I can forsee Hart eventually being the backup in Indy. He's tough to bring down, got a decent burst and just flat out doesn't fumble. Sounds like a good backup RB to me. Not sure how well he does in blocking or receiving, though. If he's deficient in those areas (like many, many rookie RBs), that may slow the process a little bit. He's a good back overall, though, and I was surprised he went so late in the draft. That front office in Indy knows what they're doing, that's for sure.