TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

The Ravens are in serious trouble whether Garrett signs there or not, and I have real trouble believing that a guy with three years of total coaching experience is supposed to come in and be the savior.

I didn't say Garrett would be the savior. But you have to build and he is a great place to start.

I said my team was in serious trouble last year on another board after we didn't get a QB in the draft and everyone laughed at me. I wanted us to get Quinn and everyone said we had plenty QBs in Baltimore but I told em we were screwed and that Billick would lead us to a bad season and should be FIRED if he didn't make the playoffs. Now who was right?

I don't think the ravens are in trouble just like other teams aren't in trouble. Hell this is the NFL things can do a 180 real quick. The "Ravens are old" crap is cliche from guys who don't do their homework and just like to say what others have said. There are plenty young players on this team ready to go if certain guys leave. Mark Clayton, Haloti Ngata, Ed Reed, Dawan Landry, Demetrius Williams, Willis McGahee, a solid group of young guys to work around.

Now we need a quarterback, some better offensive linemen, and a coach who can put it all together.

Remember back in 2002 people said the Ravens would be done for years but we got right back into it. Never say Never in this league.

Haven't seen it posted, but the Titans have fired Norm Chow.

So, does he land a job in the NFL or does he go back to the NCAA and latch on to a Pac-10 team or what?

Honestly, with Texas' offensive woes this past year.. I'd like to see them try to land Norm.

Haven't seen it posted, but the Titans have fired Norm Chow.

So, does he land a job in the NFL or does he go back to the NCAA and latch on to a Pac-10 team or what?

Honestly, with Texas' offensive woes this past year.. I'd like to see them try to land Norm.

I saw his name being attached to Hawaii, but I don't if that was just speculation or based on some actual facts.

I'd expect him to get a head coaching gig in college if he wants it. I think blaming the offensive woes on him instead of shit-tastic Vince Young is wrong.

Any comments/feelings about Mike Zimmer? The new defensive coordinator for Cincinnati? I figure Ripper probably has one as well as the few supposed Dallas fans.

Oh god, I can remember highlights on the NFL network of Chow going over the progression of his plays with Vince Young.

"Alright... Vince, click this once you can make the read..."

*Vince nods, watches screen, clicks about 6 seconds later*

"...Vince, this is the most basic read of all... it's only supposed to take 2 seconds, 3 at the most."

"Sorry Coach."

"Eh, don't worry kid... we'll get this down."

This might not seem bad, but the look on Chow's face as Vince is straining to see something most kids in Division 1 schools can pick up on is classic. Almost like he couldn't believe this is what he has to work with.

The Titans are stupid. Even with Vince Young, you fire a guy that helped THAT offense get to the playoffs? Chow is always welcome back in these parts if he can't get a head coaching job and Sarkisian leaves.

Dallas would be a great fit if Garrett was hired by the Ravens.

Its the GM's fault more than anything. There isn't a pass our WR's can't drop. Not to mention Vince was injured, so he can't run. Last year, Vince had competent skill players, and he lit it up. Anybody remember that?(Pro Bowl, Madden Cover, ROY). He is a moron, though.

I saw his name being attached to Hawaii, but I don't if that was just speculation or based on some actual facts.

Apparently Hawaii is just about set on announcing the promotion of DC Greg McMacklin to head coach tomorrow.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/253078.html

Bills promoted quarterbacks coach Turk Schonert to offensive coordinator. Alex Van Pelt is taking Schonert's place as quarterbacks coach while Sean Kugler was named offensive line coach.

Bills coach Dick Jauron brought Schonert to Buffalo in 2006. Schonert previously was QB coach for New Orleans (2005), the New York Giants (2003), the Carolina Panthers (2001), Buffalo (1998 to 2000) and Tampa Bay (1992 to 1995). Van Pelt played for the Bills from 1995 to 2003. He also joined the Bills’ staff when Jauron was hired in 2006.

Interesting move by Buffalo. Anybody have any idea what his playcalling style will be? I.E. is he more a conservative coach or a guy who will be willing to not only favor the pass but go downfield with it?

Any comments/feelings about Mike Zimmer? The new defensive coordinator for Cincinnati? I figure Ripper probably has one as well as the few supposed Dallas fans.

I like Zimmer. He wasn't aggressive enough at times with the personel we had here and he liked that loose coverage that gave up stuff underneath too much, but I still liked him. Don't really know what he is going to be able to do in Nati without alot of changes though.

Garrett's staying in Dallas..now the Ravens are looking at John Harbaugh from philly, their secondary coach and spent 9 years as a special teams coach..

fun how they started out with such high names as cowher and now they're basically scraping the bottom of the coaching barrel..good job

Yet the Falcons have solid coaching prospects.

how does that work out? You would have to see the ravens team as the better of the two....right?

Guest Vitamin X

I think they're both in equally crappy situations, and with Atlanta you can at least have the credit of building the team from the ground up and installing it as "your team". Baltimore is full of vets, some of which may be past their prime, and a lot of egos. In my opinion, Baltimore and Cincy could both benefit from having swapped head coaches. Lewis on the Ravens, and Billick on the Bengals. Maybe this is what will happen.

What exactly has Jason Garrett done to warrant consideration as the hottest commodity in coaching? He has exactly one year of experience as an offensive coordinator, and while the Cowboys were good this year, I don't know how much of that can be attributed to Garrett. Romo was a surprise this year, but that team mostly fell apart in the last month.

Now he's pursued heavily by Baltimore and Atlanta before Jerry Jones steps in and gives him $3 million and the title of Assistant Head Coach? It seems like quite a leap.

You folks gotta realize, that even though Ray Lewis is past his prime, he's still really damn good. People say that like he's not good or something. Did you see that guy play last year? First game he fucked up his tricep but had a great game. Played real well all year. Also one of the best on-field leaders in the game.

Well we won't get Garrett, but I am not worried about coaching situation now. Just get somebody in there can do the job and we'll see where we go.

Ravens will go where they go and I will be cheering for em like mad no matter what!! Just don't be like the Orioles!

how does that work out? You would have to see the ravens team as the better of the two....right?

Honestly... I like the Falcons a bit more. If they have a strong draft and can fill some holes with free agents that fit the team/roles they are acquired for, the Falcons could do well next year (8-8 possibly). They also play in a bit of a weaker division, meaning that a 9-7 or 10-6 season could get them into the playoffs depending on how Seattle and St. Louis do.

They have a decent backup QB in Chris Redman and can get a solid 1-2 year starter in FA while the rookie QB sits and learns. They have Warrick Dunn who's still decent as a mentor with Jerious Norwood on the verge of breaking out. They have solid role players at WR in place: Michael Jenkins is a solid #2 (he caught 62% of the passes thrown his way) with Roddy White's emergence as a #1 but they still need a good slot WR, which they can get in FA. At TE, they have Crumpler who's been consistently solid. Laurent Robinson needs to improve (49% catch rate) if he wants to stick with the team as a #4/#5 WR.

Offensive line wise, they need improvement in the running game but weren't horrible as a unit last year in pass protection. Redman and Leftwich were sacked 9 and 6 times respectively in 7 and 4 games, a little more than 1 a game.

Their LB are solid but they need a lot of help at CB and depth in the secondary as well as help with the defensive line. John Abraham gave them 10 sacks and DeAngelo Hall had 5 INT but they didn't have much else otherwise.

Guest Vitamin X
New coaches only get a couple years to turn teams around and winning in the NFC is a thousand times easier than in the AFC right now.

Is it really? Aside from the Patriots, especially if Dungy retires, who else is really all that tough in the AFC? San Diego, maybe. The NFC is improved; Interestingly enough, this year you can say for sure that no one conference as a whole is better than the other. I don't know how often or when the last time that this has happened was if ever, but the interconference record between the AFC and NFC this season ended up tied at a cool 32-32 out of 64 interconference matchups. And bear in mind, that's including an extremely shitty NFC South and an undefeated AFC team.

Meanwhile, the NFC is only getting better and better. The NFC South is probably an easier division than the AFC North, though.

You know, after reading the press releases that KingPK posted in the conference title games threads, I was shocked to see that San Diego is the #3 winningest team in the NFL in the past 4 years (behind the Pats and Colts in that order), but with how the media is selling San Diego on to viewers, you'd never know that.

New coaches only get a couple years to turn teams around and winning in the NFC is a thousand times easier than in the AFC right now.

Is it really?

Interestingly... I know that there's a disparity between AFC and NFC but here's something to chew on.

The AFC had 7 teams win at least 10 games on the season. 8 teams went at least .500 and 3 other teams went 7-9.

The NFC had 4 teams win at least 10 games on the season. 9 teams went at least .500 and 4 other teams went 7-9.

It seems to me that the AFC tends to have more "top end" teams in terms of records while the NFC seems more muddied and a record of 10-6 or 9-7 could be huge there in comparison to the AFC. 4 of the playoffs teams in the NFC made it with a record of 10-6 or 9-7.

As for the Falcons and Ravens...

In the NFC South the records were: 9-7, 7-9, 7-9 (Carolina without Delhomme), and 4-12.

In the AFC North the records were: 10-6, 10-6, 7-9, and 5-11.

As a head coach, I'd be happier competing with New Orleans, Carolina, and Tampa Bay... teams that could be up or down in comparison to Pittsburgh, Cleveland who seem to be turning the corner, and Cincinnati who always have the potential to go 8-8 or 9-7 any given season. Both divisions are tough but the NFC South seems to have the "easier" avenue in terms of possibly making the playoffs.

Guest Vitamin X

Is it really?

Interestingly... I know that there's a disparity between AFC and NFC but here's something to chew on.

The AFC had 7 teams win at least 10 games on the season. 8 teams went at least .500 and 3 other teams went 7-9.

The NFC had 4 teams win at least 10 games on the season. 9 teams went at least .500 and 4 other teams went 7-9.

It seems to me that the AFC tends to have more "top end" teams in terms of records while the NFC seems more muddied and a record of 10-6 or 9-7 could be huge there in comparison to the AFC. 4 of the playoffs teams in the NFC made it with a record of 10-6 or 9-7.

That would make it seem to me that it would be harder to compete, as a head coach, since your team will always be the infamous "on the bubble", but maybe never quite making it unless by some good fortune.

It's hard to conclude quickly and easily that the difference between the two conferences is as big as we've been led to believe over the past few years, though. Parity seems to be taking its toll on the AFC as well.

True on being "on the bubble" in the NFC but than again, if you win 10-11 games you should be able to get into the playoffs fairly easily compared to the AFC where you may be on the bubble with such a record depending on the division you play in.

In 2006 the NFC saw 3 division leaders finish at 10-6, 10-6, and 9-7. In 2005, the division leaders went 11-5, 11-5, 11-5, and 13-3.

The AFC saw their division leaders go: 12-4, 13-3, 12-4, and 14-2. In 2005, the leaders went 10-6, 11-5, 14-2, and 13-3.

In both years, the AFC also saw more teams win at least 10 games. In 2005, 3 divisions had 2 teams win 10 games and Miami went 9-7. 2006 saw more parity but there were still 5 teams in the AFC vs. the NFC's 3 that won 10 games or more.

They also play in a bit of a weaker division, meaning that a 9-7 or 10-6 season could get them into the playoffs depending on how Seattle and St. Louis do.

Juh? Seattle and St. Louis?

They also play in a bit of a weaker division, meaning that a 9-7 or 10-6 season could get them into the playoffs depending on how Seattle and St. Louis do.

Juh? Seattle and St. Louis?

:P I fixed it in a later post. I'm still used to the old style East, Central, West format.

Some news that may be "irrelevant" now but could prove to be big during the season... from Rotoworld.

Dolphins hired Mike Maser to be their offensive line coach.

Maser worked under Tom Coughlin with Miami's new head coach Tony Sparano for a season in Jacksonville. He was fired along with the rest of Coughlin's staff despite helping install a successful running game, and spent the next four years in Carolina. He was fired after the Panthers' 8-8 season in 2006, and was out of football last year.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Cowboys are expected to hire Hudson Houck to coach their offensive line.

Scott Linehan interviewed Falcons offensive coordinator Hue Jackson for the same position with the Rams.

Jackson, who coached wide receivers for the Bengals from 2004-2006, was most recently offensive coordinator for Steve Spurrier in Washington in 2003.