TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 82: Pride of A Champion

Leben needs to fight a top guy. He beats Cote when he was on his downside, and got crushed by Anderson, but he needs a big win to even be considered for title talk

I rewatched the Leben fight this morning. Sakara was catching him HARD with bombs. If you just listen to the sound you definitely hear the thuds of Sakara's fist hitting square on Leben's face. Multiple times.

And Joe and Goldberg were oblivious. At one point Sakara hit Leben square with a combo. Every punch catching Leben square in the face and they were talking about how Leben caught him. It was all Sakara!

Now, the point I'm trying to make is that he was a fucking moron last night. Just wading in there and hoping to connect with a big shot. He ate ALOT of punches in the process. He won the fight, yeah, but contender he ain't. And probably never will be.

Chris Leben has his place in the UFC and that's as an entertaining brawler in the middle of a card. Never anything more.

As for Koscheck - he looked ok, but I had no idea he was 30 already! He would also look pretty badass if he shaved his head, but he probaby considers his fried hair his trademark or whatever and would never go for it.

Saying he can beat GSP is a bit absurd. Yeah - he can beat him. Any top 15-20 guy can beat anyone if everything works out perfectly for them, but if you put GSP and Koscheck in the cage 50 times... Georges would win at LEAST 47 of those fights.

Anderson Silva should fight Chuck Liddell. Seriously. Are you trying to tell me that Chuck can't cut that friggin' beer belly and get down to 185? He probably would never do it in a million years. But when I think of top LHWs that can easily fight 185 he's the first name I think of.

I bet they run Wandy at Silva sometime next year, though.

I'm not going to write off Yushin Okami, myself. He's 6-1 in UFC, and his only loss was due to him not engaging for whatever reason. He strikes me as a very calm, collected, and logical person. He wrecked Evan Tanner's shit last night, which while not saying much, was still impressive.

He's a long shot, but I think he has a shot at it.

Notes from the press conference:

Randy has been offered a fight with Minotauro. Dana said that he (Randy) owes it to him (Nog) just like Tim Sylvia owed it to Randy last year.

Okami broke his hand against Tanner.

Seems like Okami is next, but not specifically stated. Dana also talked about Silva fighting Rampage and said that he needs to "keep B.J. Penn in check because B.J. wants to fight all the way up to heavyweight." Dana followed that up by saying he doesn't think B.J. should fight anywhere above welterweight.

Dana said he thinks Silva has "cleaned out the divison."

Dana strongly hinted at Fitch officially being the #1 contender.

Arlovski and Koscheck are now officially free agents.

Dana also called the XC deal a "stupid TV deal" and that MMA isn't hot... UFC is. Oh, Dana.

Leben needs to fight a top guy. He beats Cote when he was on his downside, and got crushed by Anderson, but he needs a big win to even be considered for title talk

Actually, Cote Vs. Leben II sounds like a great idea.

I rewatched the Leben fight this morning. Sakara was catching him HARD with bombs. If you just listen to the sound you definitely hear the thuds of Sakara's fist hitting square on Leben's face. Multiple times.

And Joe and Goldberg were oblivious. At one point Sakara hit Leben square with a combo. Every punch catching Leben square in the face and they were talking about how Leben caught him. It was all Sakara!

Now, the point I'm trying to make is that he was a fucking moron last night. Just wading in there and hoping to connect with a big shot. He ate ALOT of punches in the process. He won the fight, yeah, but contender he ain't. And probably never will be.

Chris Leben has his place in the UFC and that's as an entertaining brawler in the middle of a card. Never anything more.

As for Koscheck - he looked ok, but I had no idea he was 30 already! He would also look pretty badass if he shaved his head, but he probaby considers his fried hair his trademark or whatever and would never go for it.

Saying he can beat GSP is a bit absurd. Yeah - he can beat him. Any top 15-20 guy can beat anyone if everything works out perfectly for them, but if you put GSP and Koscheck in the cage 50 times... Georges would win at LEAST 47 of those fights.

Anderson Silva should fight Chuck Liddell. Seriously. Are you trying to tell me that Chuck can't cut that friggin' beer belly and get down to 185? He probably would never do it in a million years. But when I think of top LHWs that can easily fight 185 he's the first name I think of.

I really don't think you know what you're talking about... Leben will never be a contender? Newsflash, he was a contender in the past... Hell his fight with Anderson Silva was basically a #1 contenders fight. I don't see why he can't back into contendership, especially now he's training seriously, and has been in good shape. His style is sloppy and he eats a lot of punches, but guess what? It works for him... That type of style got him W's over very good competition.

Koscheck is getting better each fight, he always has been. He has unlimited potential... I've already explained my case why I think Koscheck could be a champion(most likely by next year), you haven't really put up a valid argument to why he can't beat GSP. He held his own the 1st fight, and now that he keeps on getting better, I don't see why he can't beat him.

And no Chuck can't and wont cut down to 185, to even suggest it is pretty stupid. Chuck isn't a small 205er by any means... Plus being the Light Heavyweight champion again is his goal. So it will never happen... Maybe if Anderson moved up to 205... Which again wont happen.

Chris Leben will never be a champion in the UFC. Ever. I'm sorry but he was getting his friggin' clock cleaned by TERRY MARTIN before catching him with a lucky shot to win the fight. I'll give Leben credit for having a chin that appears to be made of solid steel but he doesn't have the skill set to be a champ. Dude puts on entertaining mid-card brawls and that's awesome. But that's about his ceiling.

I didn't explain why I don't think Koscheck can beat GSP because other people have already done it for me in this very thread. Do you want me to rewrite what they wrote word for word?

Obviously Chuck WON'T drop down. I even said that in my post, but a complete lack of reading comprehension skills will get you to that conclusion. Does Chuck even cut for fights? I can't imagine he does because he always has a belly. And we were talking about dream catch-weight matches. Chuck could get to 185 for a mega-fight. Or at least 195 if they want to meet half way.

Chris Leben will never be a champion in the UFC. Ever. I'm sorry but he was getting his friggin' clock cleaned by TERRY MARTIN before catching him with a lucky shot to win the fight. I'll give Leben credit for having a chin that appears to be made of solid steel but he doesn't have the skill set to be a champ. Dude puts on entertaining mid-card brawls and that's awesome. But that's about his ceiling.

Saying he won't be a champion is one thing, but you originally stated that he will never be a contender which is wrong. He got rocked by Terry Martin, so what? Incase you don't know, Terry Martin has one punch KO power. I don't know how many Leben fights you've seen, but he's known to get rocked, and keep going. He has a huge head which allows him to take more punishment then most fighters. He's KO'd people while rocked.

Right now, he's training hard and has the right camp around him in Hawaii, of course he will never be a champion, espeically with Anderson running shit... But I can easily see him in a #1 contender fight down the road.

I didn't explain why I don't think Koscheck can beat GSP because other people have already done it for me in this very thread. Do you want me to rewrite what they wrote word for word?

I've already wrote my rebuttal to all of their posts, I figured you would atleast attempt to provide a new argument, but you failed to that.

Obviously Chuck WON'T drop down. I even said that in my post, but a complete lack of reading comprehension skills will get you to that conclusion. Does Chuck even cut for fights? I can't imagine he does because he always has a belly. And we were talking about dream catch-weight matches. Chuck could get to 185 for a mega-fight. Or at least 195 if they want to meet half way.

Sorry, I stopped reading after you suggested that he should cut to 185... It was just too stupid to even continue reading.

I really don't think you know what you're talking about... Leben will never be a contender? Newsflash, he was a contender in the past... Hell his fight with Anderson Silva was basically a #1 contenders fight. I don't see why he can't back into contendership, especially now he's training seriously, and has been in good shape. His style is sloppy and he eats a lot of punches, but guess what? It works for him... That type of style got him W's over very good competition.

Koscheck is getting better each fight, he always has been. He has unlimited potential... I've already explained my case why I think Koscheck could be a champion(most likely by next year), you haven't really put up a valid argument to why he can't beat GSP. He held his own the 1st fight, and now that he keeps on getting better, I don't see why he can't beat him.

And no Chuck can't and wont cut down to 185, to even suggest it is pretty stupid. Chuck isn't a small 205er by any means... Plus being the Lig

ht Heavyweight champion again is his goal. So it will never happen... Maybe if Anderson moved up to 205... Which again wont happen.

Way to miss the recent Sherdog interview where Anderson talks about moving up in weight.

Don't fool yourself. Koscheck got completely shut down in that fight. Just because he didn't end up a bloody pulp doesn't mean he held his own. He was castrated and couldn't mount anything close to being significant offensively. There is nothing from that fight that you can take as a plus.