• Randy Moss
    • Eli Manning
    • Plaxico Burress
    • Laurence Maroney
    • Brandon Jacobs
    • Other
    • A Patriots defensive player
    • A Giants defensive player

Can someone please explain this article to me? I've read it twice and the point seems to be that the Patriots will be remembered more fondly if they lose the Super Bowl instead of if they win...or something.

If the Patriots win, they will just become this thing that scorched the earth for five months before capturing a trophy that was never in doubt. Future historians will describe this New England team as if it were a machine. Everyone will concede the Pats' superlative greatness, but the 19 wins will be just a collection of numbers. But if they lose -- especially if they lose late -- the New England Patriots will be the most memorable collection of individuals in the history of pro football.

I think the article says it's a better story for football if they lose. I don't really see how that makes any sense, though. It'll be better for everyone outside of New England [including a lot of people on this board], but I don't see how history benefits from a team that went 18-1.

What kind of persecution complex must the Patriots have to derive so much inspiration from any kind of anything that a member of another team says about them? Plaxico Burress so much as suggests that the Giants receiving corp is comparable to that of the Pats and the media gives a big sitcom "Oooooh," like you'd expect the guy to say anything else. You're just stoking the fires. They will destroy you.

For those of us with NFL Network that want to stay the fuck away from Bootgate and all the shit that goes with Super Bowl week hype, here's their schedule of past SB games they are going to re-air.

Sunday: Super Bowl XXXI (Patriots vs. Packers) is on right now (4PM) and XXXVIII (Patriots-Panthers) airs at 8.

Monday: XXI (Giants-Broncos) at 8PM

Tuesday: XXXVI (Patriots vs. Rams) at 8:30

Wednesday: XXV (Giants vs. Bills) at 9

Thursday: XXXIX (Patriots vs. Eagles) at 9

Friday: Patriots vs. Giants Week 17 game at 9

Saturday: VII (Dolphins vs. Redskins), the '72 Dolphins final game at 9:30

Can someone please explain this article to me? I've read it twice and the point seems to be that the Patriots will be remembered more fondly if they lose the Super Bowl instead of if they win...or something.

He's totally right. It's a much more interesting story if the Patriots ALMOST go undefeated than if they do. Didn't we discuss Chuck Klosterman on this board once or twice? I really like him.

Super Bowl XLII as played on Tecmo Super Bowl.

1st Half:

2nd Half:

Video Brady is as clutch as the real thing.

Super Bowl XLII as played on Tecmo Super Bowl.

1st Half:

2nd Half:

Video Brady is as clutch as the real thing.

And video Giants freakin' turn the ball over when they have perfect opportunities to put the game out of reach.

I'm only going to one place for my Super Bowl insight: Cold Hard Football Facts. And this is why. Cuts through all the bullshit about "destiny" and gives us five things the Giants NEED to do (not should, not will, NEED to do) to win the game.

Im so sick of the Patriots, I think we should all just agree that they'll never lose another game ever with the best QB that ever walked the face of the earth and just announce them as the Super Bowl Champions for the next 10 years and start the process of building a New England Patriots Greatest Professional Sports Team Ever wing at the Hall of Fame.

Do you want some HD Cheese to go with that HD coughxcough syrup?

Here's an idea, instead of watching the Pats win yet another Super Bowl, go get your ass LAID.

My gf is up in NJ right now. She is a small time Jets fan.

Im gonna watch the puppy bowl myself

For those of us with NFL Network that want to stay the fuck away from Bootgate and all the shit that goes with Super Bowl week hype, here's their schedule of past SB games they are going to re-air.

Sunday: Super Bowl XXXI (Patriots vs. Packers) is on right now (4PM) and XXXVIII (Patriots-Panthers) airs at 8.

Monday: XXI (Giants-Broncos) at 8PM

Tuesday: XXXVI (Patriots vs. Rams) at 8:30

Wednesday: XXV (Giants vs. Bills) at 9

Thursday: XXXIX (Patriots vs. Eagles) at 9

Friday: Patriots vs. Giants Week 17 game at 9

Saturday: VII (Dolphins vs. Redskins), the '72 Dolphins final game at 9:30

why aren't they sowing the last Giants super bowl? Oh yeah..hmm...

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, Plaxico Burress. Apparently he went and ran off his mouth and said something about how the Giants were going to win the game, 23-17. Tom Brady didn't seem too pleased.

"We're only going to score 17 points?" a surprised Brady said Wednesday. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

If the Giants do somehow win this game 23-17 though I will bow down to Plaxico Burress forever.

It's hilarious to watch the hype for this game. There are way too many people picking the Giants to win considering on paper it's one of the biggest mismatches ever. A 16-0 team against a 10-6 team in the Super Bowl, and seemingly 45% of the experts are picking the Giants.

Im so sick of the Patriots, I think we should all just agree that they'll never lose another game ever with the best QB that ever walked the face of the earth and just announce them as the Super Bowl Champions for the next 10 years and start the process of building a New England Patriots Greatest Professional Sports Team Ever wing at the Hall of Fame.

Do you want some HD Cheese to go with that HD coughxcough syrup?

Here's an idea, instead of watching the Pats win yet another Super Bowl, go get your ass LAID.

My gf is up in NJ right now. She is a small time Jets fan.

Im gonna watch the puppy bowl myself

Whaaaaaaaa...?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Good god, the Giants might just win this game Sunday! :bonk:

It's hilarious to watch the hype for this game. There are way too many people picking the Giants to win considering on paper it's one of the biggest mismatches ever. A 16-0 team against a 10-6 team in the Super Bowl, and seemingly 45% of the experts are picking the Giants.

If the analysts talk for two weeks about how the Patriots are going to dismantle the Giants, no one will want to watch the event. However, if they talk for two weeks about how and why the Giants are going to win, then people will tune in and watch the the game and, more importantly, the commercials. And, NY was beating the Pats in week 17 by 12, until Manning showed up. So, who knows what will happen? But, they have to give the people a reason to watch the game. Personally, I am looking forward to the halftime show.

Most of these people that are picking the Giants probably just want to see the Patriots lose (either due to Spygate, not liking certain members of the Pats, or still not being able to accept that a team can go 19-0 in this era) and are trying to convince themselves of that. New England has been in just about every game situation, have taken most teams' best shots during the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs, and still found ways to win (even in games when they weren't playing all that well). This shouldn't be any different.

Guest Blue Man Czech
Oh, Plaxico Burress. Apparently he went and ran off his mouth and said something about how the Giants were going to win the game, 23-17. Tom Brady didn't seem too pleased.

"We're only going to score 17 points?" a surprised Brady said Wednesday. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

FUCKING WHO CARES YOU DUMB DICK WHADDYA WANT HIM TO SAY THAT 22 NEW YORK GIANTS ARE GONNA DROP TO THEIR KNEES TO SUCK HIM OFF JESUS FUCK YOU BASTARD-MAKING SHITFACE

Settle down, Czechers. If you saw the interview, in context he was laughing about it. Not the OMFG THEY DIZREZPECTED US routine.

FUCKING WHO CARES YOU DUMB DICK WHADDYA WANT HIM TO SAY THAT 22 NEW YORK GIANTS ARE GONNA DROP TO THEIR KNEES TO SUCK HIM OFF JESUS FUCK YOU BASTARD-MAKING SHITFACE

Wow, looks like someone's got the Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Only 22? Don't forget special teams players and reserves.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-n...p&type=lgns

Arlen Specter continues to be one of our best senators, pretty much finally calling the NFL's "we are the NFL and we do what we want" policy as the bullshit that it is. Destroy the Patriot tapes to cover your ass? No. Way to hold this league accountable for itself, Arlen.

Like we need to drudge up this non-story again. They filmed a defensive coach and the league found out and punished them. End of story. Who gives a shit what they did with the tapes?

What the fuck buisness is it of the Government what a Private company does within itself? Is there a law in this country that says you cant videotape opposing coaches?

Guest Blue Man Czech
What the fuck buisness is it of the Government what a Private company does within itself?

Antitrust exemption! :)