TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Gas Stations

Guest Vitamin X

This is why there should be more states like California, where liquor is sold in supermarkets.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Illinois and Wisconsin have liquor sections in their supermarkets and pharmacies. I guess part of it was that I was curious to see what it was like in there, having passed it all my life, and it was down the street from the restaurant I was picking up from.

Reviews of this estab:

"As mentioned, the retro-'70s atmosphere is quaint if not disturbing. Brown linoleum and dark paneling seal the deal."

"There is a weird knight's armor statue when you walk in and a popcorn machine which leads me to believe that this

place hasn't been remodeled since the '70s."

"The ambience is, well, what I think a liquor store ambience should be - grungy. It ain't a museum, and a lot of folks are here shopping with the single aim to get more lit than a Christmas tree, so I don't know why you should be made to feel all chic and classy about it."

This is why there should be more states like California, where liquor is sold in supermarkets.

New York also sells liquor at the grocery store and Wal-Mart.

Walmart? That's a new one...

What they need is liquor and beer delivery. It makes perfect sense. There's a pizza place here that does it, but they do it under the table. Basically they have the mini-mart there, and they'll buy whatever you want and bring it to you... for an outrageous price, of course.

I thought almost every state did that. I only know Pennsylvania has specialized liquor stores, and now Oregon thanks to you mentioning it. Then again, I've only bought alcohol in Illinois and California (where I've lived) and Mississippi.

What they need is liquor and beer delivery. It makes perfect sense.

One drunken night me and my brother came up with that idea too. We were just drunk enough that we shouldn't have been driving, but not drunk enough to call it a night. Thought we were geniuses at the time. Then one of us envisioned the inevitable problem with our delivered drinks ending up in underaged hands and the inevitable lawsuits which would accompany that, and the idea was abandoned pretty quickly.

Weird thing: for all the jokes about the South being such a backward trashy place, they have much stronger laws on alcohol. In Tennessee, only standard 5% beer is allowed to be sold anywhere regular. Everything else, even wine, is only legal from an official liquor store. And in Georgia, law forces stores to stop selling alcohol crazy early, like 11:00 or 12:00 at night. There are still plenty of "dry counties" where either hard liquor or all alcohol period are banned, though naturally that's waning with the times. When I was a kid, it was illegal to sell any hard drinks on Sunday.

When I was a kid, it was illegal to sell any hard drinks on Sunday.

It's illegal to sell any kind of alcohol before noon on Sundays in Michigan. While working at a gas station over the summer I learned that rednecks driving up from Ohio to go to NASCAR races tend not to find this all that amusing.

Guest Vitamin X

I thought almost every state did that. I only know Pennsylvania has specialized liquor stores, and now Oregon thanks to you mentioning it. Then again, I've only bought alcohol in Illinois and California (where I've lived) and Mississippi.

I know Washington and Florida do it as well. Useful site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_...States_by_state

Seems like it's split pretty even.

[Weird thing: for all the jokes about the South being such a backward trashy place, they have much stronger laws on alcohol.

I'd say that's what would make the South even more backwards.

Weird thing: for all the jokes about the South being such a backward trashy place, they have much stronger laws on alcohol. In Tennessee, only standard 5% beer is allowed to be sold anywhere regular. Everything else, even wine, is only legal from an official liquor store. And in Georgia, law forces stores to stop selling alcohol crazy early, like 11:00 or 12:00 at night. There are still plenty of "dry counties" where either hard liquor or all alcohol period are banned, though naturally that's waning with the times. When I was a kid, it was illegal to sell any hard drinks on Sunday.

It's 11:30 here. The store I work at actually doesn't sell alcohol at all. On Fridays and Saturdays, I spend much of the evening redirecting the frat boys and football people to the "package store" across the street.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

The government shouldn't be in the booze-mongering industry. Those states where you can only buy alcohol from the state are weird. Sounds like buying beer from the DMV.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, that's technically how it is here, but I didn't feel all that much of a difference between the liquor stores here and the liquor stores in Florida, although it probably does ensure the law gets enforced quite a bit more. I know in Miami they were awful about carding and selling liquor past last call, so maybe having that government oversight helps out a bit more. I don't know. I do know, however, that buying liquor is a bitch- there are only two liquor stores IN THE ENTIRE STATE that close, at the latest, 10pm. Thankfully both of those are in the Portland area (one within driving distance of my place, and another within walking/biking distance), but I find it absurd sometimes that damn near every liquor store shuts down at like, 6 or 7pm. Government hours.

I actually downloaded a PDF on where to buy liquor just in case I have a day off and some extra cash so I can go and stock up if I want to. For the better part of the nearly 2 years I've been living here, though, I just thought it was pointless and spent my money at one of the numerous bars we have in the area, instead.

I detest beef jerky. At least, when it's going head-to-head with pepperettes. I'm convinced I had some awful jerky somewhere, because I don't remember any specific incident of me eating beef jerky, I've just hated it for as long as I can remember.

I'm a fine of beef jerky in all of its forms. One time back in middle school, one of my buddies gave me a piece of salmon jerky. Boy, I love salmon and I love jerky but salmon jerky was rather unsettling.

Guest Vitamin X

I tried salmon jerky relatively recently, and I didn't think it was that bad at all. Beef jerky is still where it's at, though.

The best stuff is homemade jerky, though. Really easy to make a whole lot of it. It's actually pretty incredible how much people get ripped off buying the packaged stuff.

Guest Smues

I often pick up some jerky when I'm grabbing a hot dog and slurpy at the Holiday near by. I prefer the O'berto stuff, but most any kind will do. Lately I've been buying those nasty packs where you get one stick of some sort of meat product and one stick of some sort of cheese product. God knows what is actually in them, but damnit I'm addicted.

What are the big ass gas stations that have everyyyyyyything. The have like a resteraunt inside, a big ass convenience store, showers, big screen tv, recliners, an arcade, etc. etc. I think they're mainly for truckers.

I know what you're talking about because the family always seems to stop at a station like that every year when we are coming back from FL. Idk the name though.

I often pick up some jerky when I'm grabbing a hot dog and slurpy at the Holiday near by. I prefer the O'berto stuff, but most any kind will do. Lately I've been buying those nasty packs where you get one stick of some sort of meat product and one stick of some sort of cheese product. God knows what is actually in them, but damnit I'm addicted.

I was kind of disappointed with those, actually. The cheese was good, but the pepperoni was iffy. I've become something of a pepperette connossieur(sic) over the last two years. I've always thought they were a perfect snack when I'd fill my tank up or go to a variety store and need something to justify my use of debit, but when I spent about two months as a bread guy and went to 70 convenience stores a week, I went on a pepperette-testing marathon.