TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thoth

Gears of War 2

I had thought Shane Kim confirmed "a new Gears of War" project some weeks ago, but seems that was just a rumor someone else dropped.

Least surprising news since Resistance 2.

I bumped this thread rather than the one for the first game since I know people will likely start discussing part 2, especially with the awesome 13 page cover story in the newest EGM.

The first game is being re-released with bonus content for $39.99 on June 24th. I can finally buy the game since they are lowering the price! However, I may just pick it up this upcoming week at Target, Circuit City is selling the game for $39.99. Price match + $10 coupon= $29.99 I don't care about the bonus content, except the map packs which are free for download anyway.

Re-release:

Gears of War Content

* Gamer Picture Pack

* Emergence Day Gamer Picture

* Emergence Day Theme

* "FUTURE WEAPONS" Theme

* Emergence Day Message from Cliffy B

* Gears of War Map Pack 1 Trailer

* Gears of War - Multiplayer Map Pack 1

* 'Hidden Fronts' Multiplayer Map Pack 2

Gears of War 2 Content

* Gamer Picture Pack

* Teeth Theme

* Teaser Trailer

* Trailer

* Assault Game Play Trailer

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?...duct_id%3D71542

Bump for impending release.

I've got the LE pre-ordered, and I'll probably go to the midnight launch at EB. I'm trying to get through the PC original for the first time. Ran into what might be the final boss, then decided to quit for the night.

Horde mode is fucking nasty....

Oh, if anyone wants a code for the golden hammerburst or a code for the GoW2 theme for the new Xbox Experience, send me a PM and I'll float you one. I got 6 of each, so its first come first served...

Those that sent messages, thanks.

I'll try to get them to you guys within the hour. I checked out my copy of SvR09 from work and have been playing that.

At my last count, 2 of each code is left.

Those that asked for codes should have them in your inbox now. Those that wanted both codes, ya got both..if just a theme or a hammerburst, then ya got that.

If I've sent everything out correctly, I've got 2 hammerbursts and 1 theme left.

Down ta 2 hammahbursts

I'm loving this game so far. I waited to get Gears 1 until June since I had beaten the campaign on a friend's system and didn't dig the multiplayer at the time. But I got Gears 2 last night and played for 8 hours straight. Campaign is awesome so far, Horde (got through level 37) is amazingly fun, and I really like the multiplayer in general.

I've been playing the solo campaign, and I like it so far, for the most part.

If anybody wants to play co-op on XBL, hit me up sometime if you see me on.

I'll have more time available to me after next week.

Gears 2 sort of fell by the wayside with Fallout 3 eating so much time and attention (both for me and on this board, I'd say), but I beat this last night. Hell of a game. I played through on Hardcore, and found it to be a little easier than the same on the first Gears, but that may be somewhat attributable to having less of a learning curve this time. The only real black marks are the two major boss fights at the ends of acts 3 and 4; they're cool conceptually, but are really all about memorization and timing and somewhat ignore the level of firepower and versatility you boast through the rest of the game. Mood-breakers for sure. I could have done with fewer rail-shooter sections as well, though I do admire the design team's insistence on meeting every expectation of "it would be sweet if I could control that vehicle...oh, and that thing...and that thing too."

Its ok, but online is a complete shambles and just as bad as GoW still is. Host advantage and Shotgun is unbeatable, and the various glitches just ruin the whole enjoyment.

I hated online in Gears 1, but like it a lot in 2. I just don't play much due to having too many games.

I just downloaded the Combustible Map pack late last night. First game I got into today, it was 1 on 5, with me being the 1. That was funny. The second time was fine, though.

I've gotten back into playing this game every day after deciding getting really good at Madden was a lost cause. It's addictive stuff. I do have a really bad habit of becoming uselessly defensive once somebody has the sniper rifle because getting sniped is the worst feeling in the game, but it doesn't hamper my enjoyment too much.

I still think Gears PC had a kind of charm, that I think can only come from playing on the PC. It doesn't feel right on the Xbox.

Gears of War 2 TU3 and New Maps Dated (More Achievements Confirmed)

Gears of War Title Update 3 will be applied March 24th. It will include the following:

* New experience-based ranking system: The new system gives you 100 levels of player experience, gained through scoring in Public matches. The game still uses TrueSkill to set up the most competitive matches possible, but skill ranks are now hidden. Players who quit matches early see their experience docked as a penalty.

* Public Match autobalancing: Bots now automatically join a Public Match to fill any slots left vacant by players who quit early or disconnect.

* Improvements: You get region preference for matchmaking, improved standby detection, playlist optimization, plus nine new achievements—six of which require the Snowblind Map Pack—worth a total of 250 points.

* Exploit fixes: Title Update 3 eliminates the ability to mantle greater distances by swapping weapons during cover slide and to melee attack through walls while holding an enemy weapon, plus adding many more fixes.

* General fixes: These include more reliable chainsaw interruption detection, improved headshot detection for certain character model heads, improved flag AI in Submission games, plus other fixes.

* Balancing: Title Update 3 makes changes to Subway weapon spawns for greater balance, reductions to smoke-grenade stun duration, an increase to the forward angle that triggers chainsaw duels, and several other balance revisions.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/ne...Confirmed-.html

gears2dlc.gif

Microsoft and Epic Games deliver seven new multiplayer maps to Gears of Wars 2 in July's retail release of the Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection, finally answering the question "what is Dark Corners?"

Back in March, rumors flew about a new batch of downloadable content for Gears of Wars 2 called Dark Corners, but Epic denied that such DLC existed. Turns out that they were absolutely correct. Dark Corners is not DLC. It's a new map pack being included in the Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection, available exclusively at retail worldwide on July 28th. The collection includes all of the Gears 2 DLC to date, along with Dark Fronts, a collection of seven new multiplayer maps which you can find detailed below.

In order to make the pack worthwhile to those who've already downloaded the majority of the Gears 2 DLC, the package also contains an introduction from Cliff Bleszinski for "Road to Ruin", a collectible poster, a strategy guide, and a custom Xbox Live theme.

And the price? $19.99, £14.99, or €19.99, depending on who you're paying for the privilege of taking the package home. A great value for those who've yet to download map one for the game, though things get a bit sketchy the more you've already purchased. Extras aside, is $20 too much for seven new maps? Perhaps the map descriptions will help you decide.

The seven new multiplayer maps in the "Gears of War 2: Dark Corners" Game Add-on are:

* Allfathers Garden: Honor the sacred grounds of the Coalition founders in this explosive map, where powerful weapons catalyze fast and furious action at this COG landmark.

* Memorial: Set near the Eternal Flame, which pays tribute to the fallen soldiers on the battlefield, a hard-fought battle ensues at the Tomb of Unknowns. Putting their flank formation and evasive skills to the test, players will fight to control the Boomshot.

* Sanctuary: Once a peaceful ground for reflection and remembrance, all that remains of the Sanctuary is the chill of death. Feast your eyes on the arsenal of weapons available as you make your way through the tight paths and blind corners of the Locust-damaged temple corridors.

* War Machine: In the abandoned train station that once served as a hub for travel, players will need to master the Longshot, Mulcher and Boomshot weapons to advance the fight while evading fire from the platforms above.

* Highway: Take the fight deep into the Locust Hollow in the complex passages of this underground highway system brimming with enemy vermin. Stick together, separate the enemy and have an exit strategy ready or it'll be a one-way trip.

* Way Station: Sitting in limbo between death and "processing" are Locust way stations filled with fallen COG soldiers. Tread lightly and practice patience as it's better to sacrifice firepower for stealth while navigating this minefield of hidden grenades.

* Nowhere: Set in the middle of what was once a destination for weary desert travellers, the land is now barren and devoid of life. Pick off your enemies with the Longshot sniper rifle and make your way to the stairwell with a well-fortified team during this intense firefight.

gears2collection.gif

Also...

Included in the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” is the “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” Game Add-on, which features seven new multiplayer maps and a deleted campaign chapter titled “Road to Ruin.” In “Road to Ruin,” Marcus and Dom return to the Locust Hollow in a scene that can be played two ways, guns blazing or in all-new stealth mode.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/press/default.aspx

Bah. I thought it might be on-disc somehow. Nope, just a download code and some Collector's Edition type stuff.

That's not a bad deal if you haven't bought anything yet. I imagine people who have bought the map packs will feel cheesed (judging by the Major Nelson comments). Though I suspect they would've charged $20 for 7 maps and a new SP level on their own. The existing maps thrown in are probably considered a bonus for those who don't have it yet.

Edit: The Snowblind, Combustible and Flashback packs are currently going for 2,000MSP ($25) combined, for what it's worth.