TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Broadway Brett beats retirement!

The big deal wouldn't be an 8-8 team making the playoffs (which has happened a few times), but rather an 8-8 team winning their division

The big deal wouldn't be an 8-8 team making the playoffs (which has happened a few times), but rather an 8-8 team winning their division

And it might happen in two divisions this year! Maybe even three.

The Packers have always been my favorite football team, and the one non-Chicago sports team that I call a favorite. Brett Favre has always been my favorite player.

This is a truly sad day for me. I haven' felt this badly about something sports related since Michael Jordan's second retirement from the Bulls in 1998 (I prefer to ignore his two year comeback in Washington).

I just heard the news when I turned on Around the Horn. It shocked me, since the Packers were one score away from the Super Bowl and tied for the NFC's best record. I really thought they could have won it all next year. Now, that is unlikely.

At least we'll get to see how Aaron Rodgers plays now, after 3 years of riding the bench. He looked good in limited activity in 2007, namely against Dallas, but I just hope he doesn't end up as another Tim Couch.

Thanks for an amazing 17 year career, Brett!

Troy Aikman, Leroy Butler, and others seem convinced that Favre will still play in 2008. In Aikman's case, multiple concussions are a reasonable excuse.

Guest Beastalentier

I respect Favre's abilities as a message boarder football player, but man, that was some blubbering. Also, the whole "it's always been about the team for me" thing is a hair disingenuous considering that he went on the record as being completely unwilling to mentor Rodgers. I know you're Brett Favre and all, but if you're going to tease your retirement year after year after year, and you really love the Green Bay Packers as much as you say you do, surely you can make time for some private instruction to put the organization in better hands following your inevitable departure. Just a thought.

Brett Favre, great as he is/was, shouldn't be mentoring Aaron Rodgers. That was a good idea not to. Obviously, the normal thinking would be the opposite but with Rodgers we just want to see ordinary, solid play. Brett Favre, with his seemingly reckless style of play, is the last person to be mentoring a new qb.

I've been able to grab hold of myself after the initial shock Tuesday morning. I was getting pathetic there for a bit.

Chris Havel (Local GB beat writer) just told a great story about hanging out with Brett when he was writing Brett's autobio (The 97 version) about Brett getting loaded on beer, and driving a big ole tractor down to a bonfire, then playing air guitar to Lynard Skynard with a loaded .22 gun

Chris Havel (Local GB beat writer) just told a great story about hanging out with Brett when he was writing Brett's autobio (The 97 version) about Brett getting loaded on beer, and driving a big ole tractor down to a bonfire, then playing air guitar to Lynard Skynard with a loaded .22 gun

He's just havin' fun man, just havin' fun.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

rex_grossman.jpg

It just sank in. They re-signed this asshole. WHAT THE FUCK!

Guest Vitamin X
Also, the whole "it's always been about the team for me" thing is a hair disingenuous considering that he went on the record as being completely unwilling to mentor Rodgers. I know you're Brett Favre and all, but if you're going to tease your retirement year after year after year, and you really love the Green Bay Packers as much as you say you do, surely you can make time for some private instruction to put the organization in better hands following your inevitable departure. Just a thought.

Brett Favre, great as he is/was, shouldn't be mentoring Aaron Rodgers. That was a good idea not to. Obviously, the normal thinking would be the opposite but with Rodgers we just want to see ordinary, solid play. Brett Favre, with his seemingly reckless style of play, is the last person to be mentoring a new qb.

To be fair, that was an offhand comment made years ago when Rodgers was drafted. As I said then, Favre was in the right to probably be miffed at the Packers selecting a quarterback at the time; consider that Favre had a few good years left in him (After last season, he may have had just one more left in him, but I'm glad to see him finish on a high note, setting all the records and extending the streak, just a shame about his last pass being what it was..) and to see the team building for its future, he was probably pissed, much like McNabb has to be when the Eagles selected Kolb last year. Anyways, that all changed the following year..

But Rodgers said he and Favre weren't always so close. Drafted in the first round (24th overall) in 2005, Rodgers said he felt tension early on.

"Obviously, when a team drafts a quarterback in the first round, that's a pretty big statement,'' Rodgers said. "At that time, Brett felt like he still had plenty left in his tank and those are some pretty difficult terms to come in under. That first year, we were just teammates.''

But the relationship began thawing in 2006, after Favre flirted with retirement. With Favre at home in Mississippi for a good chunk of the offseason, Rodgers got most of the first-team work as the Packers installed a new system with new coach Mike McCarthy. When Favre returned for minicamp, Rodgers helped translate the new offense.

A bond started forming and the talks grew longer and more in-depth.

"We went from being just teammates that first year to being pretty close friends,'' Rodgers said. "As we got to know each other and he saw my work ethic, a level of trust developed. It got to a point where Brett didn't mind me being his little shadow and that was pretty amazing for me because I grew up watching and admiring Brett Favre.''

From an ESPN article on Rodgers immediately following Favre's announcement: Link.

Guest Vitamin X

NO, Brett! BAD BRETT! Stay home with your family, Brett! PLEASE. I sincerely hope that this isn't the media trying to provoke speculation or actually, wait- I kind of hope it is, since I REALLY don't want Favre coming back after this entire offseason has been spent moving on with Rodgers. I have to believe that his last pass is really starting to eat away at him more and more- you know, the one that resulted in an INT in OT of a dramatic NFC Championship game which then let the Giants kick the FG- AT LAMBEAU FIELD, NO LESS-to send them to a Super Bowl win. That last pass is pretty much also exactly why I don't want him to come back as well. Green Bay has had so much potential on that team, and especially now with one of the best and youngest rosters in the NFL, that it became unbearable as of late to live and die on the play of Favre. I love the guy, he was the most enjoyable quarterback to watch over the course of my life watching the NFL, but if you took all that time to retire, and you're at a good age to do so, then please do it.

The last thing Green Bay needs right now is a quarterback controversy involving Brett fucking Favre, no less. If he tries to come back, Rodgers will almost certainly demand a trade or to be released, one or the other. Sure, we have Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn waiting around as well, but Rodgers could have tremendous potential that would be put at risk if Favre pushes to return. This is just a really bad situation for all parties involved; Brett, just STAY THE FUCK RETIRED, PLEASE.

Guest !!!

Geez, pretty soon we're gonna find out that Brett was shtupping an underage Mindy McCready.

If I'm Aaron Rogers and I see the Packers bend to this guy's wishes, I'd kick the GMs door down the minute the announcement comes and tell them to fuck off and trade me. There are plenty of other teams that need a QB and he doesn't need to be jerked around like this.

He should.

It's his time now. Brett made the decision to retire, so now it's time for them to move on and let Rodgers play.

Somehow, I can see the Packers bringing him back. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

This is going to go on all season, you know. Every bad game Rodgers has, there are going to be those in the media and in the Packers fanbase that will suggest firing up the big #4 searchlight and bringing the ol' Gunslinger home. I really see Green Bay having one of those years where nothing goes right because of it.

ESPN's own Trey Wingo yesterday described the network's plan for coverage of the GB-Minnesota MNF opener as being "all Favre, all the time." If that means more Deanna Favre-narrated video packages, then I am so there.

But think of all the cows Brett's comeback would save and the children from getting gangbanged?

Won't someone think of the cow's? Or the children?

I'm surprised at the negative reaction this Favre story is getting. I never wanted Favre to retire at all, so I am certainly hoping he wants to come back. It's also amusing to hear this talk of "OMG, what about Aaron Rodgers?!" Who cares about Aaron Rodgers? Bring Favre back but this time make it 100% clear this is his last year, a farewell tour. If Rodgers doesn't like it, cut him or trade him and then turn the reigns over to Brian Brohm once Favre retires.

I'm surprised at the negative reaction this Favre story is getting. I never wanted Favre to retire at all, so I am certainly hoping he wants to come back. It's also amusing to hear this talk of "OMG, what about Aaron Rodgers?!" Who cares about Aaron Rodgers? Bring Favre back but this time make it 100% clear this is his last year, a farewell tour. If Rodgers doesn't like it, cut him or trade him and then turn the reigns over to Brian Brohm once Favre retires.

The negative reaction is because football fans were forced to listen to hours & hours of talk about the grizzled old gunslinger that was out there having fun and making plays, and how the league wouldn't ever be the same without him ... and then there's already talk of him coming back just a few months later.

And the Packers couldn't ever force Favre out without facing a mountain of criticism and brutal backlash from their fans. So making it "100% clear that this is his last year, a farewell tour" would be impossible for anyone other than Favre to enforce. And Favre seemingly made it pretty clear that last year was his last year, so I think it'd be tough to be anything but cynical when he said that this is his last year.

One can only hope that Favre has been staying in shape throughout the offseason (coughcoughdoubtfulcough) or else the Packers will have the pleasure of watching him work his way into shape during training camp.

Rodger's should just grow some balls and take out an ad in the Green Bay paper.. write some letter about how some might know him but most don't. Those that do know he had a successful college career and was drafted to be the future of a proud franchise. Those that don't know him only see him as "that guy" on the bench and as Brett's personal water boy...but come this season, everyone in Green Bay will know who he is. Aaron Rodgers: Starting QB for the Green Bay Packers.