TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NWA Weekly Programming Thread

1) Jim Cornette gets the politically incorrect line of the night. "Last week, a man broke into Baby Doll's apartment. She yelled "Rape!" and he yelled back "No!""

Great line.

"Baby Doll is so fat, elephants ask her for autographs"

"Look at Tony Zane wrestling, he should wear a billboard for false advertisement"

Damn, they should have had Cornette doing color in every show, that man is on fire every time. Sure his jokes about Baby Doll are blatantly sexist, but they're so over the top it's hard not to laugh. Lawler's jokes about Stu and Helen are still great even if they both died.

Yeah, Cornette's good with the mic they should have made him at least a semi-regular at the broadcast both.

"Jim, a lot of cards and letters are sent to this studio."

"I don't care."

He also drops a shoot comment on Sam Houston, calling him "the human broomstick."

Yeah, Cornette's good with the mic they should have made him at least a semi-regular at the broadcast both.

"Jim, a lot of cards and letters are sent to this studio."

"I don't care."

He also drops a shoot comment on Sam Houston, calling him "the human broomstick."

Unfortunately, it took a few years before they made him the color guy with Jim Ross on the Saturday Night program.

I figure since WCW Saturday Night is just the evolved weekly NWA show on TBS, might as well talk about the 1994 episode here. I will never get tired of that era's opening video. It's so silly, but I like it. A lot of guys seem to be coming out to their lame lyrical themes on this show too (I didn't even remember that Rick Rude theme).

Is it me, or did they bleep out Tony mentioning Slamboree early on?

And I love the Nasty Boys theme.

Edited by KingPK

The main thing I love about Flair/Steamboat matches is that they just flow like no other matches I've seen. They can go from spot to spot to spot and make it seamless. Plus you have to love chops that could blow out your speakers.

Off-topic but my favorite use of offensive language had to be when Dustin Rhodes came out and burned his Goldust costume. He said that Vince McMahon destroyed his career and wanted to know why. This leads a fan to start yelling.

"Because you're a faggot, Rhodes. You're a faggot, Rhodes. FAGGOT! FAGGOT! FAGGOT!"

Rhodes just stopped the interview for a few seconds and stared into the crowd. Absolutely classic and something I'm sure 24/7 will stupidly censor when the time is up.

I just finished watching the Flair/Steamboat match and God, was it great. Much better than their Spring Stampede match. Fast-paced, back-and-forth action with a constant series of reversels. What was great was that Flair didn't need to carry Steamboat so the two of them could just pound the hell out of each other. The only downside was they were clearly out of gas by the end of the match and the finish came out of nowhere. The finsh wasn't big enough. Otherwise, another classic.

Heenan's got some good lines during the match too.

BTW, Rick Rude wrestled. Won after he pinned the guy with his crotch in his face. It was mentioned he was going to defend the International title against Vader but as I recall, he never made it. He was stripped of the title and I think he suffered his neck injury around that time. Does anyone remember?

Yeah, Rude suffered the neck injury in the match where he won the belt back from Sting in Japan. But this show was clearly taped before then, obviously since Rude was wrestling. He also didn't have the belt with him. Although to cover that up, they had him do an interview with Mean Gene making it look like he had just wrestled with the belt on his shoulder.

They waited to see if Rude could recover, but he absolutely could not wrestle. They covered it up by opening Slamboree '94 with commissioner Nick Bockwinkel, announcing that he, after reviewing the video tape of the match, was stripping Rude of the title due to him using the belt as a foreign object in the match. He then cancelled the scheduled Rude vs. Vader match and announced Sting vs. Vader for the vacant title, which main evented the show. Sting won the title and later lost it to WCW Champ Ric Flair in a title unification match at a Clash of the Champions in June.

They never mentioned his neck injury on TV and Slamboree was the last time Rude was ever mentioned in WCW until he came back in 1997. Rude went home and collected on a Lloyd's of London insurance policy until it expired in 1997.

The Nasty Boys theme is indeed great. I would assume a rowdy fan used audible offensive language at the same time Tony mentioned Slamboree.

Ironically enough, they dubbed that theme in as they were using an awesome production track at the time.

What was the angle with Rude and Vader? I didn't follow WCW that close at the time and don't ever remember a Rude/Vader feud

My local affiliate pulled Worldwide the week before Spring Stampede but judging by that ppv, Rude was wrestling Sting for the big gold belt when Harley Race ran in and accidentally hit Rude w/ a chair causing him to lose. Rude then cut a pissed off promo on Race.

Rude/Vader seems like a puzzling matchup since both guys were total heels back then. Was there a planned Rude face turn? At that point in 1994 I think the notion of a 3 way feud with Sting involved was beyond people.

This week's episode is a good one - it's got matches from the GAB tour (It's the Dorton Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina) plus Cornette is on commentary again! Matches include Midnight Express vs. The Road Warriors and The Horsemen vs. Rhodes/Rock and Roll Express in a 6-man (Although the program ends minutes after the match starts).

I love Cornette's elaborate excuse to why Nikita Koloff attacked Rocky King on the outside. "See, a mosquito flew into the arena and landed on Rocky's back and Nikita was trying to get it off because I think King is allergic.

This is a fun as hell show to watch since the crowd is absolutely jacked.

Is that going to be the show where Dusty beats Flair for the belt? Or is that one they will show at all, or maybe just a highlight of it?

Dusty beat Flair on July 26th, 1986. The next episode should be the one shown on July 19th, 1986... meaning we won't get coverage of the title switch (if any since Flair got it right back) until two episodes after that one.

I love Cornette's elaborate excuse to why Nikita Koloff attacked Rocky King on the outside. "See, a mosquito flew into the arena and landed on Rocky's back and Nikita was trying to get it off because I think King is allergic.

This is a fun as hell show to watch since the crowd is absolutely jacked.

That was classic.

Along with the last show of 1985 (featuring Flair/Garvin and Magnum/Ole) this was my favorite NWA show to great. Doing it "live" from the Bash tour and in front of such a raucous crowd was awesome. Several of the squashes were competative, Garvin cheating at the end was cool, Wahoo vs Tully was a terrific brawl (those chops of Wahoo were brutal) and the whole Warriors/Midnight deal was awesome. Add to that Cornette back on commentary and you truly has a great show.

Only a few complaints...

-Good God, did we really need a Tenzhi (or whatever his name was) squash match that went six minutes? It felt like an eternity. It was awful. With guys like that, you keep the squashs to two minutes of less. Like with the Warlord.

-F'ing main event. The bunkhouse match was awesome but cut out way too early. Bah!

The other thing I noticed is how hot, temperature wise, it looked in that arena. An old arena + a probable very warm North Carolina night and lack of true air conditioning + a packed crowd contributed to the overall atmosphere of the show.

Here is the line-up from the show (Takes place in early 1987)

-Arn Anderson vs. Barry Windham from Philadelphia, Pennslyvania

-Jimmy Garvin vs. Brad Armstrong from Washington D.C.

-The Mod Squad vs. The Batten Twins from St. Louis, Missouri

-Interview with Rick Rude and Manny Fernandez

-The Rock and Roll Express vs. Ivan Koloff and Vladimir Petrov from Hollywood, Florida

-Hype for the 1987 Crockett Cup in Baltimore

-Dusty Rhodes vs. Tully Blanchard from Los Angeles, California

-Apparently the first interview with Magnum after he recovered from the crash in 1986

-Ric Flair vs. Nikita Koloff from Charlotte, North Carolina

-Road Warrios vs. Midnight Express: SCAFFOLD MATCH from Los Angeles, California

All of these looked to have been filmed on the tour after Starrcade '86. Too bad we didn't get the Starrcade footage of Cornette absolutely destroying his knee from taking the fall off the scaffold in that match.

The show is interesting because it's basically a tease of what we will be getting in the next several months on the regular NWA show schedule, especially after they finish up with all the Bash angles. They'll be starting to transition into the programs that developed Starrcade '86, and unfortunately, we're getting closer and closer to the period where Magnum actually had the car accident.

Watched the NWA. For some reason, they started with an endlessly long match between Don Kernolde and The Golden Terror. The jobber matches were hidious and once again, the show cut off a red hot main event with Dusty/Magnum and the Midnights. I seem to remember them doing this now back in the day. AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That being said, we get a good like match between Tully Blanchard and Sam Houston and a GREAT match between The Rock N Rolls and The Andersons. Classic.

David Crockett is back doing commentary and you can tell because he's nowhere near as entertaining as Cornette. Cornette did the heel interviews though. Baby Doll looked pretty damn good in spandex.