TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Primetime Disscussion Thread

If everyone was on mushrooms, Lord Alfred would have balled up into the fetal position about a minute into the show, due to their being an entire studio audience looking at him and someone would have been enlightened and denounced television as an evil medium. Um...if I had to guess what doing mushrooms was like.

I like how there's so much focus on Heenan ducking out on Rumble hosting duties when neither he nor Monsoon wound up commentating.

Agreed. This was definitely the highlight.

The Sherri/Robin match was pretty good as well.

All-American Wrestling is fun.

My favourite part had to be the UPDATE! portion. Apparently it was very important that Al Hayes tell us in a deadpan, monotone delivery (with different camera angles!) that JYD was dancing with a young Booker T. That was literally the whole segment - JYD getting down.

I was sad that Mr. T told Hulk they'd do some street fighting with muggers, but no street fighting made it into their training montage. I could have been hearing things but it sounded like just for a little bit, you could hear the "Eye of the Tiger" playing softly in the background, but once Hogan said "eye of the tiger" to cue the song at full blast, naturally a dub song took over.

I'm looking forward to checking out All-American Wrestling. You get a Piper's Pit with him, Orndorff, and Orton. Nothing beats Piper's Pit when Piper was a heel. When he was a face...

I was sad that Mr. T told Hulk they'd do some street fighting with muggers, but no street fighting made it into their training montage. I could have been hearing things but it sounded like just for a little bit, you could hear the "Eye of the Tiger" playing softly in the background, but once Hogan said "eye of the tiger" to cue the song at full blast, naturally a dub song took over.

Hogan's "beating up bums" line made me laugh.

Watching All-American Wrestling, you've got more heel Piper which is always good. You've got "Mr. Homoerotic" Paul Orndorff and his great love of booty shorts, and you have a video of Hulk Hogan and Mr. T in NYC of the 80s. T just rambles on and on until the point I was starting to fall asleep. That footage has seen better days.

A new Prime Time is up. The first thing that you'll notice is Vince McMahon is in Monsoon's chair at the beginning. He really doesn't seem to fit well with this show.

Later on the show is The Honkytonk Man vs Ricky Steamboat in a lumberjack match for the IC title.

Whats up with the brackets they showed for the WM IV tournament, everything was out of order. With the way it was shown, Muraco would have gotten 2 byes into the finals and Dibase and The One Man Gang would have met in the quarterfinals

Whats up with the brackets they showed for the WM IV tournament, everything was out of order. With the way it was shown, Muraco would have gotten 2 byes into the finals and Dibase and The One Man Gang would have met in the quarterfinals

I noticed that too. It looked like the original bracket was set up for a Dibiase vs. Hogan finals. Dibiase vs. Savage would have ended up facing in the semi-finals with the original bracket.

Matt was nice enough to let me back in after Mike banned me and Cheech for abusing the power he refused to remove. Cheech was unbanned a long time ago, but for reasons I still have no answer on, I was reduced to a suspension and then banned within 12 hours of the suspension ending.

I'm here to just check in on my old stomping grounds and maybe make the occasional post, but otherwise I'm happy elsewhere right now.

Good to see you back Dr. Venk. Anyhow, I noticed on the latest Primetime episode, at the end, there is some different music playing. Before this weeks, there was some obviously overdubbed music over the end credits. This week it was different and it didn't sound overdubbed. Anyone else catch that?

Either way good show, as you got to see the Hogan/Andre conttoversy in full, complete with post-match interviews, and Jack Tunney announcing the tourney for WM IV.

I've definitely been enjoying all the build to WMIV (which, like WMII, was better than the actual show itself) and all the Monsoon and Heenan bickering over it. Also, I have to say that the Harley Race and Hercules vs The Bulldogs match was pretty good. Harley and Dynamite always brought it. Anyone catch when Davey was running very slowly after Heenan, someone threw a drink at him?

BTW, speaking of Harley and the Bulldogs, Race wrote in his autobiography that the only time he used steroids was in the WWF and that he received them from the Bulldogs. He was stunned when the bottle read something like "do not inject directly into the horse." He went on to write that he used it for about five weeks and got bigger but it caused his lower back too much pain and he never tried them again.

Yeah it is. They recap it again. Quick question, the bracket must change for the WM IV Title Tournament, right? Cause doesen't Dibiase get put on the top of the bracket, then buys off Andre to get a double DQ.

Yeah it is. They recap it again. Quick question, the bracket must change for the WM IV Title Tournament, right? Cause doesen't Dibiase get put on the top of the bracket, then buys off Andre to get a double DQ.

I was wondering that after last weeks episode. This week Monsoon was talking about possible outcomes and mentioned Dibiase and Andre could meet in the finals and that Andre would just let him win the match, so I get the feeling that they will switch the brackets in order to avoid that from happening. That's my best guess

Fun Prime Time this week. It's the WM4 special from Trump Plaza. Heenan is in rare form, along with Monsoon. I always enjoyed the road trip edition of Prime Time.

-The Killer Bees vs The Conquistors was a fun match that did a good job utilizing the mask gimmick.

-During Steve Lombardi's match, Monsoon made his usual reference to Lombardi being a graduate of the "Terry Garvin School of Self-Defense." Interesting bit was that during the match we have a segway where Heenan and Monsoon bet on whose going to win. Heenan goes with SD, surprising Monsoon. Monsoon says that Heenan had said that he might manage a guy like Steve Lombardi. Less than a year later, he would do just that.

-We get another Ultimate Warrior vs Harley Race match, this time from the Boston Garden. It's a good match with Warrior winning in a way you wouldn't expect from him.

Well, there goes the Wrestlemania IV build up. Why did they skip 3 weeks of Prime Time Wrestling?

They skipped the following

Prime Time Wrestling 2/29/88

Prime Time Wrestling 3/7/88

Prime Time Wrestling 3/14/88

That's a lot of shows to skip. Here are the matches from Graham Cawthon's History Of The WWE

http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/primetime88.htm

Looks like this week's Prime Time has skipped even further to 2/6/89. WTF?

EDIT: Checking on the program guide, I understand why. This episode was another Monsoon/Heenan road trip, this time on the "Hollywood" set of a Western. It fights with the current theme of the month. So we should go back to 1988 afterwards.