TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

Legends Programming

That Harley Race Vs. Bundy match from WCCW was a pretty fun brawl.

Also, I was upset that the LOW program was an old one, I was hoping it was going to be the one with Flair on the panel, I guess that'll be later in the month.

Though, the LOW up is a pretty good one, the Flair stuff is gold, the Slaughter stuff is mediocre.

The Harley Race HOF piece was disappointing. You have a nearly 30 year career to sum up in an hour, and you show a Harley Race title LOSS?

Yeah, that was pretty stupid. That's a match that should be shown in the Flair H.O.F. piece. They should have shown some matches he actually won.

I was disappointed by the Harley Race HOF profile too but you have to remember, his cage match with Flair is probably the highest profile match of his that is actually on tape in its entirely. They showed footage of his World title victory over Terry Funk, which was great. But that was probably the only one of his title victories that actually has significant video footage of it taken. I know bits and pieces of his first victory and his seventh against Flair exist but Race's prime was in an era when guys worked their best matches during house shows were nobody was taping them. Flair has often said that his best matches with Steamboat were in front of 300 people and no cameras. With all the video libraries the WWE has bought, more and more of Harley's stuff is thankfully getting released. But a lot of his best stuff is probably lost forever because no one taped any of it.

Just saw the Race/Bundy match and it was indeed a fun brawl. Harley slammed him too, just like he slammed Andre. The picture of that is in his book. Though he promised Andre he wouldn't say anything. But that was in 1978 I think.

It was interesting in that prematch promo to hear Race say how he slammed Andre and thus slamming Bundy wouldn't be as big of a challenge.

As far as title wins go, how many of Race's wins are even on tape? He beat Brisco in 1973 but I don't know if the match exists on tape, the various wins in those brief title exchanges with Baba and Dusty might not exist (though I think Dusty's win over Race popped up on 24/7).

That Race/Martel match was damn good.

Speaking of which, during the Dec 77 MSG show, Vince cut away to Harley Race defending the title against a much younger Rick Martel in New Zealand. It was interesting to see that on WWWF TV.

I've seen a squash match of Harley Race on WWWF TV leading up to one of his matches with Bob Backlund. There's also of course his MSG match with Dusty.

Right. There's also his prior match with Ric Flair from Mid-Atlantic Wrestling. That was on the most recent Flair DVD. Also, as we can see he may a number of high-profile matches in WCCW against the Von Erichs.

As far as title wins go, how many of Race's wins are even on tape? He beat Brisco in 1973 but I don't know if the match exists on tape, the various wins in those brief title exchanges with Baba and Dusty might not exist (though I think Dusty's win over Race popped up on 24/7).

All four of their NWA title changes are on tape.

Yeah but are any of these matches any good at all? I mean it's Giant Baba. There was a Race vs. Von Erich (David?) title match shown on 24/7 a while ago, though it was a countout. Regardless I can see them showing the 1983 Flair match since it was from a major show and the angle was awesome even if the match had too much of Gene Kiniski butting in.

I wish there were more Round Tables being done. That is the most enjoyable part of 24/7 to me.

Except that Mike Graham irritates me.

Agreed. I've really enjoyed the few I've been able to find online. I am most irritated by Michael Hayes and his need to be devil's advocate in most roundtables, especially the Monday Night War one. While I understand the point of a roundtable is for there to be discussion, and heated discussion at times, Hayes really didn't give Bischoff much of a chance to defend himself in certain situations. I think his spot at the table could've been better filled by someone like Booker T, if he was still with WWE when the roundtable was filmed.

Yeah but are any of these matches any good at all? I mean it's Giant Baba. There was a Race vs. Von Erich (David?) title match shown on 24/7 a while ago, though it was a countout. Regardless I can see them showing the 1983 Flair match since it was from a major show and the angle was awesome even if the match had too much of Gene Kiniski butting in.

Kiniski did his damndest to ruin that match. I don't know what the **** his problem was (apparently Harley didn't either) and I really wish both Flair and Race would have shot on him and broken his leg. It's a testament to the greatness of both Flair and Race that they still put on a great match with that moron Kiniski interferring and breaking the flow of the match constantly.

It was interesting in that prematch promo to hear Race say how he slammed Andre and thus slamming Bundy wouldn't be as big of a challenge.

He beat Dory Funk Jr. in '73, not Brisco.

I seem to remember that the end of the win over Dory Funk Jr. is on PWI Lords of the Ring, the first wrestling title released on home video in the US.

Much of the win over Terry Funk from '77 is available on one of the Wrestling Gold DVDs.

As mentioned earlier, both wins over Baba are available.

Not sure about the win over Rhodes.

The win over Rich doesn't exist.

I think the end of the win over Flair in St. Louis is available.

The win over Flair in New Zealand doesn't exist.

I seem to remember that the end of the win over Dory Funk Jr. is on PWI Lords of the Ring, the first wrestling title released on home video in the US.

I think the end of the win over Flair in St. Louis is available.

Correct on both counts. The Race win over Flair is on a Flair compilation entitled Ric Flair: Legend. It's available from the usual places.

Kiniski did his damndest to ruin that match. I don't know what the **** his problem was (apparently Harley didn't either) and I really wish both Flair and Race would have shot on him and broken his leg. It's a testament to the greatness of both Flair and Race that they still put on a great match with that moron Kiniski interferring and breaking the flow of the match constantly.

I've met Gene Kiniski. Nice guy.

The problem with Kiniski is they blew the spot at the end. He had to get involved because the former champ usually needed some sort of out or controversy. As a referee, well, he was a much greater wrestler.

I feel bad for Tazz, no one listens to him.

In the new roundtable, JR mentions how The Oddities sucked, after mentioning the No Limit Soldiers, so Tazz says "at least the Oddities were entertaining" and everyone keeps thinking Tazz said that about the NLS and they keep cutting him off.

Yeah, that was definitely getting on my nerves, especially since Foley is repeating stories from his book that he regularly repeats on other roundtables. On the other hand, it seems like Flair is getting more and more wasted as this thing goes on. Sheesh. He makes Hawk on Primetime look like CM Punk by the time he's asking for some sort of rejuvenation machine. I hope he filmed more than one of these.

I feel bad for Tazz, no one listens to him.

In the new roundtable, JR mentions how The Oddities sucked, after mentioning the No Limit Soldiers, so Tazz says "at least the Oddities were entertaining" and everyone keeps thinking Tazz said that about the NLS and they keep cutting him off.

Tazz had been sadly out of place on these roundtables. Having him on the territory one and not having Lawler or even Mike Graham was absolutely ridiculous, and I like Tazz a lot.