TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AntiLeaf33

Best Application to download music

Ok, so I do a lot of PC repair, formatting, etc, for low end users. Most of the time I need to clean them up because of bad spyware or virus infestation. Usually after I'm done cleaning the PC, installing drivers, and the computer is ready to use again, the ask me what program they should use to download music. Personally, I go the way of torrents and have been relatively clear of any major viruses or spyware. The problem with torrents, is that it isn't exactly easy to use for the typical low end user. I know there are "simple" PTP applications like Limewire and BearShare, but everyone knows that they are the breeding ground for spyware, so I usualy recomend people stay clear of them if they want to keep their computer infection free. So my question to you is, what are the best applications to download music (Also, keep in mind these people are NOT interested in paying for music, so iTunes is out of thw question)?

Just download whole albums. There are sites like: warez-bb.org which are forums full of stuff and there is no P2P sharing to get you in trouble. Anyone else use things like this? Rapidshare is normally where the files are stored.

I'm in IT too, and if you don't mind spending an extra 5 minutes, usually uTorrent and a quick primer seems to work. I've gotten low end users running off torrents just fine myself.

-Annie

There is always quasi-legal possibly Russian mob owned websites like MP3Fiesta.com. Sure it's $0.99 an album but they are virus free. I just suggest using a disposable credit card #.

I've never taken the time to understand the whole torrent movement. I'm old and codger-y that way. I've been using Soulseek to download music for a few years now and I find it to be the best P2P running. It's completely adware/spyware free; Norton lists all versions of Soulseek as being spyware/adware free and I've never heard of a single case of Soulseek containing any virii. It has quite a diverse array of music and it generally downloads really, really fast.

I use one of those Russian sites, GoMusic.ru, along with torrents.

Sites like this are great if you're looking for an individual song, and there's usually a discount for DL'ing a whole album.

I've never taken the time to understand the whole torrent movement. I'm old and codger-y that way. I've been using Soulseek to download music for a few years now and I find it to be the best P2P running. It's completely adware/spyware free; Norton lists all versions of Soulseek as being spyware/adware free and I've never heard of a single case of Soulseek containing any virii. It has quite a diverse array of music and it generally downloads really, really fast.

I've never gotten the linux client to work, but soulseek is brilliant for music, especially the japanese style stuff I like. If you want music from music geeks - use soulseek.

And if you get the linux client working - let me know.

-Annie

I don't like Soulseek, actually. I find it difficult to find some of the more obscure artists or songs.

mIRC works well. Other than that, I just download torrents.