TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aero

Smackdown vs. Raw 2009: News/screens

After seeing the little spot on X-Play about the game last night, I think I'm going to have to buy it.

Mainly for the "Create-a-finisher" feature that you got to see a little part of. You can apparently pick the beginning of your finisher, the set-up and the move it ends with. You'll be able to apply it to any of your CAW's or to any of the standard wrestlers in the game. A spot had Cena lifting someone up in a reverse fireman's carry then pop him up into the air and finish with a DDT of some sort.

The F-5?

No, not the F-5, it looked similar to it, but it wasn't.

F-5 is a normal fireman's carry swung over.

The move they showed was Cena with the reverse fireman (think a reverse DVD) then with the head resting on his left shoulder, he popped the guy up towards his left arm and planted him with a normal DDT.

- In an interview with GamingRing.com, THQ stated that they are doing a number of tweaks and improvements to many of the match types in Smackdown vs Raw 2009 including the Hell in the Cell match. Also, the brand new story mode called "Road to Wrestlemania" will only last 3 months but will have seperate storylines for each wrestler on the game.

Ewww.

Story mode died several years ago anyway, it's got worse each addition. It might not be too bad if this is just an additional option, like Hall of Fame was last year.

For anyone complaining about controls, you should try and play the Nintendo version.

Sorry Marv, I didn't like Wrestlemania Challenge very much.

After seeing the little spot on X-Play about the game last night, I think I'm going to have to buy it.

Mainly for the "Create-a-finisher" feature that you got to see a little part of. You can apparently pick the beginning of your finisher, the set-up and the move it ends with. You'll be able to apply it to any of your CAW's or to any of the standard wrestlers in the game. A spot had Cena lifting someone up in a reverse fireman's carry then pop him up into the air and finish with a DDT of some sort.

The F-5?

I stumbled up on a video on YouTube where they were showing off the create a finisher feature. They had Cena do what they called an "F-U Brainbuster". Pretty much, Cena picked the guy up in an Argentine carry, and then flipped him into a brainbuster. Looked pretty neat.

The F-5?

I stumbled up on a video on YouTube where they were showing off the create a finisher feature. They had Cena do what they called an "F-U Brainbuster". Pretty much, Cena picked the guy up in an Argentine carry, and then flipped him into a brainbuster. Looked pretty neat.

Link the video!

Are they going to fix the fucking hideous controls this year, or is that something which will get ignored in favor of new game features that we don't need at all.

It's pretty shameful that a port of a several-years old, last generation Japanese wrestling game (i.e. Fire Pro Returns) managed to kick SvR 08's ass in just about every conceivable category.

My biggest hope is a simple one:

Will the engine finally move on from the fact that the only way to hit a grapple or a finisher is a fucking toe kick first?

Oh yeah:

Will the game finally stop taking away moves and start re adding them back in. Why is it that over the last 4 games 250 moves have been removed? Yet seemingly 75 moves are added?

Hopefully the fix the once you get knocked down it takes 10 weeks to stand back up thing, that pisses off no end.

You're just not pushing the buttons hard/fast enough. [/game dev]

Will the game finally stop taking away moves and start re adding them back in. Why is it that over the last 4 games 250 moves have been removed? Yet seemingly 75 moves are added?

Because they've EA'd it and kept running games with more-or-less the same animations since forever. With the next gen systems you can't get away with halfassing it like that, so they had to start reanimating things.

I've always wondered the reason for removing moves. I mean, they can't take up that much disc space can they? Are they doing this so that one year they can add a few back and promote it as - "NOW WITH MORE MOVES THAN EVER BEFORE!" - or something?

One thing I'm hoping for, but I know won't happen, is for random animations on moves like the lariat and the DDT. Instead of having to pick from 28.5 DDTs, you just select the DDT and the animation would be random based on fighting styles and/or weight classes.

Create-A-Finisher justifies this as a rental for me for the simple task of creating the most absurd finishers possible.

I'm still hoping for another Def Jam game. The third one that came out with the first wave of PS3 games sucked, I heard, but Vendetta and FFNY are fucking nice, especially FFNY. I'd like to see controls like that for an actual wrestling game, one where the in-ring style affects how your grappling system works.

There will more than likely not be any new Def Jam games seeing as how the studio that was making them "EA Chicago" was shut down by EA in a cost cutting move.

WISHLIST:

I'm still waiting for a decent looking Pedigree to be put in the game. The first few games had a decent looking one, but it had no height. Then they added the "safe" version, with HHH and the opponent leaping about 6 feet into the air. Finally a few years back, they added a "spiking" version, but the ridiculous flopping afterwards kind of ruined the effect of the move.

At least the finally managed to reanimate Big Show's chokeslam back in 2006 (or was it the 2005 version?) after they used the same animation since the very first game.

I'd also like to see Kane's chokeslam get a makeover so the opponent doesn't roll onto their chest after taking the move.

I just REALLY hope they don't screw up the create a finisher feature. I have a feeling it may take them a couple years to get it right.

Here's the release, swiped from Gerweck:

Publishers of the Renowned WWE� SmackDown�/SmackDown� vs. Raw� Franchise To Establish New Property for Next Generation Systems

AGOURA HILLS, Calif.--THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) and JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (NASDAQ:JAKK) today announced that WWE� Legends of WrestleMania� is currently in development for the Xbox 360� video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PLAYSTATION�3 computer entertainment system. Joining the distinguished WWE� SmackDown�/SmackDown vs. Raw� franchise, which has shipped more than 37 million units worldwide since 2000, WWE Legends of WrestleMania is scheduled for release in March 2009 to coincide with the annual pinnacle of sports entertainment, WrestleMania� 25, in Houston, Texas.

�We have generated significant year-over-year growth in key global territories with WWE-licensed videogames, including tremendous success with the WWE SmackDown vs. Raw franchise,� said Peter Matiss, vice president, global brand management, THQ. �The development capabilities afforded by next generation hardware, combined with our established history and deep understanding of fighting videogames, allow us to leverage the strength of the WWE brand to further extend our leadership in the fighting videogame genre and bring this new property to market.�

�JAKKS Pacific is pleased to introduce a new WWE videogame property to the fighting genre,� said Nelo Lucich, senior vice president of interactive, JAKKS Pacific. �The WWE SmackDown vs. Raw franchise has captured a collective audience of WWE fans, game enthusiasts and casual players, and we are confident that WWE Legends of WrestleMania will be poised for great success.�

Sweet. For that fact that maybe they'll stop putting in legends in the place of people who are actually on the roster, and more deserving of a place in the game. I'm still pissed that we've only see Paul London in the game once, and that was alone.

*Obviously someone who doesn't play as the legends.

I guess the only thing that would suck with this is that if you take the legends out of the game, are you also taking out their moves/mannerisms/music as well?

A group of friends and I play SD v Raw weekly and a few of our characters have "legendary" mannerisms and it'd suck to have it all removed.

Awesome.

I'm pretty pumped for this. It should be cool to see who they dust off for inclusion.

There's only a handful of "legends" of Wrestlemania in reality I suppose...but I'll assume they'll thrown in anyone that they can that apeared at a Mania.

The question is how many active wrestlers make it into the game. If you're doing legends of Mania you kind of have to put Taker and HBK in there...and you know HHH will make it. And they sell everything with John Cena's face on it...

It'll be curious to see. Like...you know Eddie Guerrero and Mick foley will be in it...even though when I think of their careers the last thing that comes to mind are WrestleMania moments.

Yeah, I'm guessing currently active wrestlers will be in there but that most of the roster will be past stars with Legends contracts. Either way I hope it's all out, complete with authentic theme music, videos, etc. I'm totally psyched for this.

I'm anticipating this looking and playing no different than SvR, so hopefully they surprise me. Looking around some, a few people are really opposed to those currently active like Michaels or UT, but it should be fine if THQ incorporates their classic looks. I also hope it's Legends of Wrestlemania in name only and expanded to Legends in general, since I really want to see Bruiser Brody, Stan Hansen, and the like, or even Tazz, Sabu, Raven and Sandman. I'm actually more excited about this than SvR.

1. Hulk Hogan

2. Andre The Giant

3. Stone Cold Steve Austin

4. The Rock

5. Bret Hart

6. Shawn Micheals

7. Undertaker

8. Ric Flair

9. Macho Man Randy Savage

10. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat

11. Sgt. Slaughter

12. Triple H

13. Matt Hardy

14. Jeff Hardy

15. Iron Shiek

16. Nikoli Volkov

17. Rowdy Rody Piper

18. Million Dollar Man

19. IRS

20. Hawk

21. Animal

22. Yokozuna

23. Edge

24. Bam Bam Bigalo

25. Mankind/Mick Foley

26. Kane

27. X-Pac

28. Shane McMahon

29. Vince McMahon

30. Mr. T

31. Paul Ondorff

32. Jimmy Snuka

33. Cowboy Bob Orton

34. King Kong Bundy

35. Jimmy Hart

36. Jim Niedhart

37. Marty Jennetty

38. Ultimate Warrior

39. Big Show

40. Sid Justice

41. Lawrence Taylor

42. Brutice Beefcake

43. Eddie Guerrero

44. Rey Mysterio

45. Randy Orton

46. Big Boss Man

47. Batista

48. John Cena

49. Terry Funk

50. Doink The Clown

51. Jake The Snake

52. Honky Tonk Man

53. Bobby The Brain Heenin

54. Mr Perfect

55. British Bulldog

56. Dinamite Kid

57. George Steel

58. Junkyard Dog

59. Big John Studd

60. Lex Lugar

Fan list from IGN to get the ball rolling. Ignore the misspellings and some of the exceedingly dumb ones like Orton, Cena, Batista, Mysterio, Edge, Big Show and the Hardys, or those that would likely never sign on, such as Savage, Taylor, Warrior and Dynamite Kid.