TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Markme123

On Benoit

It seems any Benoit thread is the "Bix signal". Im just curious Bix, were you a fan of the wrestler before this all happened in June?

And tell Loss I said what's up. I haven't spoken to him in years. I haven't come up for air in a while....

Dames

I think once you murder your 7-year old in cold blood, the accomplishments go out the window.

sorta like... what about all the good things hitler did?

doesn't matter. he's still one of the most evil men to ever exist.

Guest Bullshiterica

I think once you invoke Hitler in a wrestling thread, the discussion is over.

It's pretty hard to pretend the guy never existed. What he did was terrible and I don't respect him as a person despite what every wrestler on the planet will tell you but it's kind of hard to ignore what he did in the ring. If you were to make a list of the top 10 WWE matches of the past decade, Benoit will most likely be in a few of those slots. I'm not saying that as a justification of his heinous doings but despite what happened, it's not like you can just revoke everything he ever accomplished. The man was an excellent performer, killer or not. A lot of people are mistaking the people trying to say this as a justification of what he did or how great of a person he still is when it's really no on both accounts. Really, you can't take away the fact that he was good at what did or bash people who still enjoy vs. Angle at Rumble '03 or vs HHH and HBK at WMXX because HE KILLED HIS FAMILY~~~~~!

The thing that I can't fathom about the people that support Benoit is the fact that they continue to defend a man that they never actually met in person. You've heard what his FRIENDS have said about him, and you've heard what others have said about him. I don't think any of us have the knowledge about Benoit to really defend him. None of us have lived, worked or travelled with the man. However, we do know that he killed his wife and child. By all accounts, that makes for a pretty sick and evil human being.

Has everyone forgot the little tidbit that came out in the Fayette County Sheriff's Office's report about Nancy discovering that Chris was having an affair with a WWE diva (rumored to be Michelle McCool) shortly before the murders? (here's the link for those who missed it)

Things like that and the methodical way Benoit killed his wife, son and self in a matter of days blows the whole dementia theory away, in my opinion.

In a way, I'd feel like I was endorsing his actions that weekend if I even watched and enjoyed one of his matches now, although I wouldn't judge anyone else for feeling differently.

And I know alot of people (including a few indy wrestlers) who believe the ridiculous conspiracy theories that someone else killed the family, maybe some of his other friends in the business also believe them?

Am I the only person able to appreciate someone's efforts in their career as separate from their personal life? I can enjoy a Woody Allen movie even though I know he married his step daughter. I can watch Rosemary's Baby and enjoy it even though the director was accused of being a pedophile. I watch Humphrey Bogart movies and enjoy them even though Bogart was an abusive husband. I can watch a Benoit match and appreciate his efforts to entertain even though he murdered his son and wife before hanging himself. Does that make me a bad person? I don't think so. I think it makes me someone capable of seperating a person from their profession. I never knew or cared to know these people personally but that doesn't mean I am incapable of appreciating their efforts to entertain me. I believe the term is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Was Benoit, in the end, a mentally disturbed psychopath? No doubt, but he still did his job well and that's what I paid to see and be interested in. If it makes me less of a man to be able distinguish the person I saw portray a character I cared from from the person playing the role I never knew, well I guess I'm a piece of shit. I never knew Chris Benoit as a person so I can't judge him on that level, but I enjoyed Chris Benoit the wrestler and likely always will. I'll watch the first best of 7 series, Angle matches and NJPW J Cup Matches without a shred of guilt and enjoy them for them what they are because as far as I am concerned, they didn't drive a man to murder, his own mental instability did, in the same way Bogie's temper led him to slap Bacall around, Polanski's perversion drew him to little girls and Woody's nature made him decide on a teenage bride. Does it make their actions right? No. But I didn't invest in their personal lives, I paid for them to entertain me and if they did that, then I got what I wanted.

In a way, I'd feel like I was endorsing his actions that weekend if I even watched and enjoyed one of his matches now.

I don't agree.

He's an awful person, but does that keep me from being able to watch his matches? No. He's just playing a character. I can't fathom how people defend him, though. The extent to which people defend Benoit is ridiculous.

Am I the only person able to appreciate someone's efforts in their career as separate from their personal life? I can enjoy a Woody Allen movie even though I know he married his step daughter. I can watch Rosemary's Baby and enjoy it even though the director was accused of being a pedophile. I watch Humphrey Bogart movies and enjoy them even though Bogart was an abusive husband...

The difference is Bogart, Woody Allen, and Polanski didn't kill anyone. Benoit killed not only his wife, but his 7 year old son. That puts him in a whole different league, the only similar comparisons one could make that I can think of are to O.J. Simpson and Gig Young (an obscure actor who killed his wife and himself in the 70s).

People should enjoy his matches to their hearts content.

Hopefully understanding that he is the biggest black eye on the industry that they are revering him for being good in.

That's what makes it a bit different than enjoying a Woody allen movie after he married his stepdaughter.

It's more the equivelent of respecting someone who drinks, drives and kills someone for being able to out drink everyone.

Am I the only person able to appreciate someone's efforts in their career as separate from their personal life? I can enjoy a Woody Allen movie even though I know he married his step daughter. I can watch Rosemary's Baby and enjoy it even though the director was accused of being a pedophile. I watch Humphrey Bogart movies and enjoy them even though Bogart was an abusive husband...

The difference is Bogart, Woody Allen, and Polanski didn't kill anyone. Benoit killed not only his wife, but his 7 year old son. That puts him in a whole different league, the only similar comparisons one could make that I can think of are to O.J. Simpson and Gig Young (an obscure actor who killed his wife and himself in the 70s).

I can watch Naked Gun movies with no guilt even though O.J. is featured. Again, I separate the entertainer from the person. The on screen performer is not someone I ever knew or had the frame of reference to understand, judge or care for.

Bps, I stopped caring about your opinion sometime back in 2002.

I still like Beretta, O.J. Simpson in movies, and so on.

Dudes need to get a grip.

Look:

Watching Benoit matches and enjoying him as a character on a wrestling program = okay.

Defending him in anyway for his actions as a person in real life = not okay.

Jesus.

Bps, I stopped caring about your opinion sometime back in 2002.

Oh shit son. Cam Chaos came to this thread to fight.

Fuck that! Benoit KNEW what kind of affect this would've had on him so that's why he had to be the ultimate coward and took the easy way out. The moment he did what he did, that selfish bastard spit in all of our faces whether it be a fan, friend, co-worker, or anybody involved in the industry. He deserves no praise, no tribute. He is no better than OJ Simpson, Scott Peterson, or the Virginia Tech killer!