TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

The Departures and Arrivals of WWE

But what does Danielson offer to the WWE? You might get a decent match out of him against someone old school like Finlay or Regal, but he won't have the aura of awesomeness that came from ROH, he won't have the length of matches that he has in ROH that allowed him to be the 'back-to-basics' Danielson who won matches with bodyslams and bearhugs, he won't have the moves to allow him to use cravate suplexes and cattle mutilations, and (most importantly) he has neither the charisma, the look or the marketability that CM Punk has and which allowed him to negate the other post-ROH factors.

Bryan Danielson is built in the same mold of William Regal and Chris Benoit. I'm not a strong believer in the belief that Bryan Danielson shouldn't go to WWE because his style doesn't suit the WWE. The same was also said about Punk in 2005 before he made the decision to leave the independents for sports entertainment and he has clearly done well. Bryan Danielson has proven to anyone that pays attention to his matches that he has fantastic in-ring charisma and intensity. Will he win fans over right away? Not likely but it's been proven in the past with WWE that they can pretty much get anyone over and a guy like Danielson would get over quicker then most people would be willing to credit him for. Danielson is not merely just a purist but a complete wrestling performer. This is a guy who can have tremendous 7 minute brawls that are equally as good as his 60 minute matches. Danielson also doesn't get the proper credit for his ability to cut promos, which he has improved greatly at in the past year. At some point, Danielson will either have to leave the business as a whole or head to WWE. He has the right people there that would go to bat for him from Shawn, Regal, Punk (whom has gotten other people hired on his recommendation) and I would imagine Triple H would really like his old-school style, something WWE is lacking right now. WWE had interest in him before he became the world class performer he is right now and an improved promo guy, it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine they would welcome Danielson.

I should probably include my feelings about who will be getting their walking papers soon enough from WWE. I wouldn't expect a large number of names since they have fewer deadweights right now. For the purpose of convenience, I'll separate them by current brand.

RAW

Charlie Haas

-It’s quite apparent that WWE has no interest in reforming WGTT once again, which is probably his lone attribute he could offer. He lacks personality and despite various attempts at different things, he hasn’t managed to catch on beyond a heat performer. While JTTS are very much needed in the company, Charlie Haas, to me, is more expendable then he’s worth keeping.

The Highlanders

-It’s not just because Robbie appeared on TNA TV (although that didn’t help matters any) but these guys have been directionless past their initial amusing debut vignettes. Their work in the tag team field was hardly noteworthy. I’m not sure that Rory could be used as a singles performer but it would seem wise to cut them each. Their spot on the Raw roster can easily be filled by a new team out of the developments.

Ashley

-She is a horrible performer. She has already frustrated the WWE on a number of occasions and most importantly, she already posed for Playboy. Unlike Candice Michelle, she never showed the desire to improve and apparently, to eat. She’s not worth keeping. They hire new girls all the time, no reason they wouldn’t slide a new blonde girl who can do the same act. Maybe the new girl will make an effort, probably not, though.

Smackdown

Dave Taylor

-He is listed a roster member even though he rarely ever appears on TV. He’s mainly in FCW as an agent/trainer of sorts. He’ll still be a contracted employee, however.

Torrie Wilson

-I never understood how she survived so many rounds of cuts but given her present injury issues and that she appears to have concentrated on life beyond pro wrestling (which is a wise move), I’d have to imagine her time in WWE is nearing an end.

Domino

-D&D is another team that doesn’t have much going for them aside from their valet and they never caught on. Deuce could get another opportunity as a repackaged performer with an emphasis on his father, although that’s just as likely to fail as this 50’s gimmick did. Domino has nothing to work with. He has very limited skills, no noticeable personality and no meaningful need to be kept.

ECW

Balls Mahoney

-Completely ignored since the Miz/Kelly saga reached a conclusion and it was a surprise he lasted that long anyways. Balls showed signs that the WWE crowd could stand behind him during the aforementioned Kelly angle but WWE failed to notice or care.

Boogeyman

-He was released once and the only reason he was brought back is because Booker T pushed for him to be brought back. Of course, Booker is gone. Why isn’t Boogeyman? The fact they haven’t done anything at all and he wasn’t at WM from some reports completely shows he shouldn’t be on the payroll any longer. It’s almost seems they haven’t released him out of spite.

Kevin Thorn

-He makes a bi-monthly appearance on ECW in a jobbing role but since the vampire gimmick was stripped, he has been shown as a fairly bland performer in a spot that can be filled quite easily.

Lena Yada

-Who? Yeah, that was my reaction as well. She’s listed on the ECW roster. I remember her appearing in a dance off but nothing else. Is she the interviewer? I haven’t noticed. Unless she’s spending time in FCW becoming an amazing worker, she should go as well.

I would say goodbye to:

Paul Birchill

You is crazy yo.

Birchill could be a main event player if he was pushed as the monster heel the same way he was in FWA.

Bryan Danielson is built in the same mold of William Regal and Chris Benoit. I'm not a strong believer in the belief that Bryan Danielson shouldn't go to WWE because his style doesn't suit the WWE. The same was also said about Punk in 2005 before he made the decision to leave the independents for sports entertainment and he has clearly done well.

If anyone in the world can adapt quickly to something, it's probably Danielson. He doesn't get enough credit for being as adaptable and creative as he is. I once saw him have a match with Claudio Castagnoli where the only move they used was a headlock and it worked. He had a World Title match that ended with a shock roll-up in about 7 minutes in ROH with Colt Cabana and it worked. If anyone can make something work, it's Danielson. He won't be working 60 minute matches, surely, but I don't think that'll matter.

I think the Benoit comparisons are either going to hurt or help him. It seems like the stance has, at times, changed from 'avoid Benoit's stuff' to 'take back Benoit's stuff'. Michaels used the Crossface, Finlay used his suicide dive into a weapon shot. If they think that bringing in Danielson will make people forget about Benoit, or that he can 'replace' Benoit at least, that might count in his favour. I know that's a cynical way of looking at it, but still.

I think the Benoit comparisons are either going to hurt or help him. It seems like the stance has, at times, changed from 'avoid Benoit's stuff' to 'take back Benoit's stuff'. Michaels used the Crossface, Finlay used his suicide dive into a weapon shot. If they think that bringing in Danielson will make people forget about Benoit, or that he can 'replace' Benoit at least, that might count in his favour. I know that's a cynical way of looking at it, but still.

HHH also used the Crossface at this year's Wrestlemania.

Okay I would definitely bring up Ron Killings, Chris Harris, and Colt Cabana. Having seen Jay Bradley's OVW work I don't think he's all that much, so maybe keep him down a bit longer. As far as people I'd release, here is the list by show.

Raw:

--Ashley. Has anyone more useless ever gotten on TWO WMs? No talent, not really hot, injury prone. Get rid of her.

--Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Okay seriously, why is Duggan on my TV in the year 2008? Make him an agent or something, but his days as an active wrestler are over.

--Cade/Murdoch. A controversial pick I know, but still have these guys been over at all in their lives? Hell, Cade has been around for 4-5 years in WWE and has shown zilch. Murdoch seems like an indy worker at a county fair in Texas.

--The Highlanders. Not over, never have been and now one is in political trouble.

--Kennedy. This will piss some off on here, but I just don't see much in the guy at this point. He's blown it big time with 2 chances to main event, he's shown no real signs of improving, and his one note mic schtick has run its course.

I was toying with saying Umaga, but I might at least trade Umaga to SD or put him with another Samoan in a tag team before giving up on him entirely. Carlito is at least mid card fodder and I might team him with Santino or something.

Smackdown:

--Dave Taylor. Not so much should he be released as just made into an agent or trainer.

--Deuce/Domino. Cherry is proving to be more of the star of this unit. These guys aren't much as workers anyway and aren't over at all.

--Hornswoggle. The midget is insanely played out. He only inhibits Finlay's ability to get over as a serious title threat.

--Coach. The guy is a terrible wrestling announcer. If they are hell bent on keeping him in this role, then get rid of him. He doesn't have enough charisma to be a good heel manager.

--Kenny Dykstra. Probably won't happen but I think he might need to be released for his own good, then come back a couple years later. But right now the Spirit Squad stench is still on the guy and no one can take him seriously.

--Maryse. She doesn't do much for me in the hotness dept. and offers nothing otherwise.

--Torrie. I don't get her continued employment. Shown no signs of improving at all in nearly 10 years of being in the business.

ECW:

--Lena Yada. Wouldn't be missed at all.

--Mike Knox. Only semi relevant in the Kelly angle, now what is he? A jobber. Bye bye.

--Kevin Thorn. Once they fired Ariel whatever heat he had vanished. Not big enough to succeed in the gimmicks he has. Unless they resign Gangrel and make them a vampire team I don't see much for the guy.

--Boogeyman. I didn't even know he was still around.

Guest tom cody

Here's who I see being on the proverbial chopping block:

RAW:

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Ashley

The Highlanders

Smackdown:

Dave Taylor

Torrie Wilson

The Great Khali

ECW:

The Boogeyman

Raw:

Ashley

Highlanders

Charlie Haas

Smackdown:

Torrie Wilson

Victoria (Gets her ass kicked by Michelle McCool constantly and older now. I wish WWE had left her on Raw instead of being on the losing end of feuds on Smackdown that aren't even for the Women's title.)

Domino

Dave Taylor

Hornswoggle

ECW:

Lena Yada

Kevin Thorn

The Boogeyman

Mike Knox (I'm surprised that WWE's kept him this long and giving him yet another push by jobbing Stevie to him)

Brought up to the main roster:

Ron Killings

Chris Harris

I think all the obvious names have been mentioned all ready....

However The Highlanders and Charle Hass are most at risk on RAW

Kevin Thorn on ECW

Deuce and Domino on Smackdown.

As for arrivals, Ron Killings ad Chris Harris are on their way soon. A Harris / Palumbo team I'd quite like to see. Also I can see WWE make a play for Ricky Banderas. (big Hispaniac guy)

Speaking of arrivals - welcome back Cryme Tyme - what a great suprise that was on Monday night. You should never have been released in the first place. Move them to Smackdown for an awesome - Tyme / Miz/Morrison feud.

Luke-o is right that Burchill shouldn't be released. However his skills doesn't stand out as well in the WWE as it did in FWA or in the indies. His appeal was the monster heel that did crazy stuff. Now that he's among giants in the WWE, he's the heavyweight whose style is severely watered down. If he switched up to something more technical/powerhouse/submission hybrid, maybe something that is more technical version of Lashley, I think he could get over.

Anyone heard anything about Mistico? I guess he's still working in CMLL but heard that a few guys were pushing for him. Having just seen some highlights he looks like a pre-roids Rey, which means he'd get an obligatory introduction push before becoming a high-flying jobber. Still looks like a lot of fun though.

If WWE were to finally get Mistico, he'd get a pretty good push out of the gate and would sustain that. He'd be over big with the kids and has an obvious draw already.