TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Madden, NFL Head Coach, and NCAA Football 2009

Nah, the curse this year will be that the Packers will win the Super Bowl without Favre. If he had only come back one more time...

HAHA

I thought they might, you know..put Madden on the cover for the 20th like he used to be.

So with Brett being retired and all...

does this mean the curse is broken?

I think Vince Young having a fine season and taking his team to the playoffs did that.

Well I think their defense really carried them to the playoffs. Young had 9 TDs and 17 INTs. Plus he did hurt his hamstring.

http://www.411mania.com/games/news/74036/%...dden-NFL-09.htm

3928.jpg

Electronic Arts has just dished out some details on this year's Madden NFL 09. The game as you can see above will feature the recently retired Brett Favre on the cover (does that mean the Madden curse struck again?) who will also have his jersey retired at Green Bay's home opener. Madden 09 which will also be the 20th anniversary of the franchise looks to overhaul its presentation. For starters, the game will feature the all-new Virtual Trainer tutorial mode. Utilizing a holographic environment, this mode teaches gamers simple concepts about playing football and how to use the controls in quick, fun and stylized drills.

As for the play-by-play, this year will feature Chris Collinsworth and Tom Hammond as the game's commentators. In addition, numerous graphical enhancements have been made, including realistic weather and grass, sleeker player models and exterior stadium views. In relation to the online play, players can now take their rivalries online and compete in leagues with up to 32 teams. Online league play will feature in-depth stat tracking, player trades and a flexible scheduling option.

We've got a couple of screenshots for you that include Brett Favre. I'm sure you're all thinking, "But Brett's retired, how is he in the game?" I had the same question so I contacted EA and I was told that Brett will be a free agent in the game and you can sign him in Franchise Mode.

Awesome. It doesn't say online franchise, but I'll take leagues even for single seasons.

Nice one, the one thing that always bugged me a little on the console version of Madden was the radio commentator. I know its not a HUGE thing, but it kinda took something away from the game that they weren't talking about the play/players and stat talking or whatever, that they did on the PC version.

So any info if they're going to fix the problems 08 had? I loved 07. I played the shit out of 07, it nearly turned to dust in my X-Box.

Then I bought a 360 and decided to get 08 and it sucked. All the fun I had with 07 was completely gone.

The game was either way too easy to dominate or way too hard IMO. Like if I didn't turn the INT slider all the way down then opposing defenses would just leap 30 feet in the air and grab a one-handed pick. And forget about pass-blocking. I could have a 99 rating all across the line and my QB was still running for his life and those guys were getting pancaked.

The lack of customizable playbooks pissed me off too. So many annoying things about that game. I hope 09 is better.

More importantly, does anyone know if Create-a-School is back, or is it STILL missing for no good reason at all?

*refuses to buy NCAA until CAS comes back*

Not sure, fazzle. I'll look into that.

Dama, did you play 07 on the old Xbox or the 360? Because the black Xbox version of 07 was great, but the 360 version, while decent, was blown away by 08 in every conceivable way.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/mad...;om_clk=topslot

Highlights:

"We're real excited about it," Frazier said. "It's one of those features that has been called out in reviews, it's been called out on message boards; we know people have wanted online leagues and we're finally delivering." Up to 32 players will be able to compete in games, participate in the NFL Draft, conduct trades between one another and more in this mode all on a schedule that works for each player in the league. "The nice thing about it is flex scheduling," said Frazier. "You can play your games in any order, at any time. You don't have to play one game a week, you can play five games a week if all five of your opponents are online." The ability to skip games sounds like it will be a crucial tool towards ensuring that your online league--many of which fall apart because of the rigorous scheduling--continues through multiple seasons.

As Frazier puts it, part of the challenge in developing Madden on a yearly basis is creating a balance between catering to the series vets and those who might be coming to a football game for the first time. In Madden NFL 09, part of servicing both crowds will be what Frazier refers to as "real football intelligence." A prime example of this will be the EA Sports "backtrack" feature, which will serve as a valuable tool for the hardcore and casual crowds alike.

"When you're playing the game and you make a mistake, the game is going to highlight that mistake and tell you what you should have done in that situation. For guys that are really hardcore, they don't need to be told that they should be throwing to [a particular] receiver. That's not what they need. But what they will like is the fact that, on that specific play, [the game] will lay the play art out on the field of the two plays that were picked on offense and defense. And on top of that [the game] will show who was hot-routed, and why they were hot-routed and [the game] will give percentages on how often that play is going to be successful in this situation."

As Frazier describes it, the backtrack tool will be both a teaching tool to show you what you did wrong on a play, as well as a method for people to turn back the clock and start a play over again. Using the "rewind" feature, you'll be able to try a play over again from the start, select a different strategy, and ideally end up with a more successful play.

NCAA: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/nca...amp;sid=6189867

No flex scheduling. :(

"When you're playing the game and you make a mistake, the game is going to highlight that mistake and tell you what you should have done in that situation. For guys that are really hardcore, they don't need to be told that they should be throwing to [a particular] receiver. That's not what they need. But what they will like is the fact that, on that specific play, [the game] will lay the play art out on the field of the two plays that were picked on offense and defense. And on top of that [the game] will show who was hot-routed, and why they were hot-routed and [the game] will give percentages on how often that play is going to be successful in this situation."

As Frazier describes it, the backtrack tool will be both a teaching tool to show you what you did wrong on a play, as well as a method for people to turn back the clock and start a play over again. Using the "rewind" feature, you'll be able to try a play over again from the start, select a different strategy, and ideally end up with a more successful play.

I like the sound of this.

Gives me an idea of what I keep messing up on, because I sometimes throw the worst interceptions imaginable.

I would also like to be able to edit my lineups and such online (ala NBA 2K8)

Dama, did you play 07 on the old Xbox or the 360? Because the black Xbox version of 07 was great, but the 360 version, while decent, was blown away by 08 in every conceivable way.

I played it on the X-Box.

I played it on the X-Box.

Well that explains it. The 360 version was inferior in every way except graphics. Gameplay was tons better on the old Xbox version, and they didn't have the whole right stick mechanic of sending out your linebackers, blitzing, etc.

I believe Dama is saying that he played 07 on the old Xbox and he hated how the 08 played on the 360, correct, Dama? So your comments makes no sense, Matt Young. Since the game you're pimping as better, is the very game Dama is disappointed with.

I believe Dama is saying that he played 07 on the old Xbox and he hated how the 08 played on the 360, correct, Dama? So your comments makes no sense, Matt Young. Since the game you're pimping as better, is the very game Dama is disappointed with.

I know what he meant. What I said was, I can see how he could be disappointed by Madden 08 if he was used to the original Xbox version of 07. Had he been referring to the 360 version of 07, I would not have understood where he was coming from.

This is where I made the assumption that you were saying 08 was better than 07. Honest mistake on my part.

I sent VX a message on Live since he signed on after I found this, but there is a free 4 picture pack (logo, 2 Favre pics, and I forget) and a theme which is just the cover shot of Brett Favre for all the blades. I'm using that theme and the Brett Favre Gamerpic you can see in my sig. :)

All sounds pretty promising. Though, are we going to find 32 users on the boards to run our league, or will it come down to friends/family/randoms as well? Looks like we'll have to draw teams out of a hat or something too, as there's no way 32 people are going to agree on what team everyones going to be.

Footprints in the snow are in, but full bodies landing in the snow leave no mark whatsoever.

And now that there's been customer backlash, they're going to try to put weather effects in online franchise. Does this scream of "We tried putting it in, but it sucked. We said it wasn't going in for the sole purpose of being able to 'listen to the customers' and 'include it at the last minute' so we look like heroes for getting a half-working model into the game rather than looking like the incompetent boobs we are for having a full year to do it and being incapable of making it playable." to anyone else?

Should I edit the important stuff into the original post? More on NCAA:

Features Trailer

http://www.gamespot.com/sports/blogs/sport...asty-dozen.html

NCAA Football 09 also brings the atmosphere, pageantry and tradition of college football to life. Through the redesigned stadiums, which reflect even more detail of each school's individual playing field, to the dynamic sidelines filled with school colors, cheerleaders and mascots, players will feel the excitement of college gameday. Players can gain Home Field Advantage as the intensity of the home crowd rises and rattles the composure of opposing teams. All 120 Football Bowl Subdivision schools are represented in the game and players can even customize the in-game atmosphere with their own personal music collection.

Off the field, NCAA Football 09 features its most robust Dynasty Mode yet, inviting fans to create and manage a perennial powerhouse program from landing blue-chip recruits to winning championships on the field. For the first time ever, Dynasty goes online with up to 12 competitors to recruit head-to-head, customize schedules and play for up to 60 seasons.

Wide Open and Authentic College Style Gameplay

It's Wide Open

* Bigger holes, cutback lanes, and open receivers, making the game feel more wide open than ever before

* Directional pump fake on the R stick

* New college specific tackling engine

Home Field Advantage with new mini-game components

* Pre-play confusion and difficulty making adjustments when on the road against tough teams

* All new toughest places to play with dynamic rankings

All-new Mascot Mode with User Controlled Celebrations

* Mascot Games

* Interactive TD celebrations

College Atmosphere

College Atmosphere & Pageantry

* All-new Dynamic Crowd System

* College sidelines are packed with additional players, mascots, cheerleaders, and more

* All-new authentic fields with new textures, lighting, and field degradation

* New college player models, including more than 50 alternate uniforms

* User Customizable Stadium Sounds & Music

* Breakaway crowd reactions

Depth & Innovation

* Online Dynasty is here!!!

* Roster file sharing online

* Improved recruiting system in Dynasty mode highlighting ease and accessibility

* New post game presentation and play by play commentary

* 1-4 player offline co-op

* Return missed field goals

* Bluff your play art to confuse opponents

* Formation audibles

* Smart routes

* Bobble catches

* Better passing control

* Post play continuation

* All-New Mini Games

* Random play selection in practice mode

* Quick replay