TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

24/7 Shorties

Speaking of weird Flair/Piper promos, I can't find this one on YouTube anymore so I hope they put it up before the month is over. Flair is in DC and going mad with power being WCW president (its March or April of 1999), so he makes Piper "Vice President of the World!" and Piper postulates that "even though you don't smoke, if you got hit by a tobacco truck and died, I'd be president!!".

And of course they threaten to have sex with Hillary Clinton and random peoples' wives. It's awesome.

I believe this is the one you're referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGtHbmbku1c

Shorties update. I highly recommend the one with the video face-off between Ric Flair and Fritz Von Erich. Both of them are top notch here in their "debate." The caption of Flair they use for the selection is pretty damn funny too. Some more Mid-Atlantic interviews, including one with Steamboat.

I'm very much looking forward to the WCW Saturday Night match between Flair/Steamboat. Haven't seen that since it originally aired. They would wrestle each other a few more times on the house circuit (I believe Steamboat won the last ever match) but this would be their last televised bout. TNT looks good too, with Savage meeting a shrink I think. That should be funny.

Flair's deranged, obsessed promo in September 1987 (I think that's the date range) is a good one. It's definitely a strange site to see Flair during this era without the title. But the promos don't suffer, that's for sure.

Yeah that 1987 ranting about Garvin is one of his best promos ever. For once he actually had good reason to be pissed since he didn't have the belt.

I don't think I had ever seen that WCW SN match with Steamboat. Not sure why, but I guess my interest in WCW was waning at that point or maybe I was doing something that night, who knows. It was a great match too, but I had to wonder why they would give that away on free TV with a PPV a week later. That PPV had Flair against an out of shape Windham too, so I fail to see why they couldn't have held this match off and then just done the Windham match on TV a week later since it was no biggie.

Yeah that 1987 ranting about Garvin is one of his best promos ever. For once he actually had good reason to be pissed since he didn't have the belt.

I don't think I had ever seen that WCW SN match with Steamboat. Not sure why, but I guess my interest in WCW was waning at that point or maybe I was doing something that night, who knows. It was a great match too, but I had to wonder why they would give that away on free TV with a PPV a week later. That PPV had Flair against an out of shape Windham too, so I fail to see why they couldn't have held this match off and then just done the Windham match on TV a week later since it was no biggie.

I seem to recall WCW building to a match with some sort of mystery, implying it might be Hogan. But that could've been the year earlier.

Steamboat/Flair occurred the month earlier at Spring Stampede. While a superior match, I doubt it had much box office appeal left.

Yeah, Slamboree '94 was built up around Col. Rob Parker having a mystery man "from Flair's past" to challenge him for the WCW World Title. Flair was having a mini-feud at the time with Steve Austin, who was one of Parker's charges at the time, which got Parker to tease a mystery man. I don't remember any implications though that it might be Hulk Hogan, since he wasn't being talked about yet on WCW TV. It wouldn't have made sense either since Parker was a heel manager. Of course, it turned out to be a near-300-pound Barry Windham, who wasn't seen again after that match until he showed back up in the WWF in the summer of 1996 as "The Stalker". It made storyline sense though. It was Windham's first appearance on WCW since Flair beat him for the NWA Title at Beach Blast '93, almost a whole year before.

There were, however, implications Flair had allied himself with Ultimate Warrior or Mr. Perfect going into his August 94 COTC match with Hogan. He had the Ultimate Plan or the Perfect Surprise (or maybe it was the other way around). What a disaster that one ended up being.

you know, fuck Benoit...I really wanted to see that promo again where Flair returned to Nitro with the Horsemen and went nuts on Bischoff. I think it was in 98? "FIRE ME? I'M ALREADY FIRED!"

Col. Parker claimed to be bringing in a "6'7, blond, former world champion" so that made some people think Hogan, I guess. I remember Scott Keith saying in his rant for the show that they were hinting at Hogan, so if the Netcop says it, it's probably not true.

Oh, Comcast's latest update has left me with all of one Flair promos, the one he cuts against the boy scouts in the front row.

It took me a few seconds to get it, but holy cow did I shit myself laughing during the Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz match when Vince kept asking Lawler "Is he a pitcher or a catcher?"

It took me a few seconds to get it, but holy cow did I shit myself laughing during the Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz match when Vince kept asking Lawler "Is he a pitcher or a catcher?"

I was just about to post that. That made me laugh really hard.

They show the angle on shorties were the Horsemen attack Dusty in the parking lot (with horrible camera work) and the ensuing angle that led to Nikita becomign a face. Great stuff.

The Hogan/Sting match from Fall Brawl 1999 was surprisingly alright until the usual bullshit started.

In the shorty with Cactus/Mikey vs. Public Enemy (N2R 94), who's that annoying guy underneath the eagle's nest who keeps saying, "How can you let this happen? Do something about this!" It looks like he tries getting involved, too, only to be restrained by security. He's quite audible.

The segment with Dusty attacking Tully with the baseball bat was awesome. I wish that, along with the Road Warriors spike incident, had been on the Dusty DVD.

It's sad to see Magnum that way though. Really weird watching the NWA shows when you know Magnum's career is cut short only a few weeks later.

The Road Warriors Anthem - both the song and video - seems like the kind of thing that should have killed the careers of lesser men.

I've watched WrestleRock Rumble at least 3 times, and I had already watched a crappy youtube video of it multiple times before. It's so awesomely bad.

I like how present day Slick seems to get a big kick out of Jive Soul Bro in a pop-up window.

I really hated how they had Miz pop-up and make stupid southern jokes for about 45 seconds during the Rap is Crap video.

Yeah that one was pretty bad. At least I have that one on DVD. I did enjoy his pop-up during the Cena video (and could they have not used "Bad Bad Man"? Would they owe Gary Coleman some sort of likeness royalty?).

I realize that NOTHING about WrestleRock Rumble makes sense, but why are they singing about an event in Minnesota (at the HHH Metrodome!) while showing the sights and sounds of Las Vegas?

I enjoy the Run DMC DX song. It's catchy. Plus Stephanie throws a molotav cocktail at a police car, then does crotch chops with Tori.

It's just mind-numbing to watch the Rap is Crap video and realize WCW thought the fans would get behind Master P's group instead of the West Texas Rednecks.

Even booking failure extraordinaire Kevin Nash told Master P when this was going on that he was going to get booed out of the building if he did the angle the way he laid it out. "If you go out there and have 20 guys beat up 4 guys, you're going to get booed." P said that he was a music superstar, so don't worry about it. They went out there, all 20 of them beat the shit out of them without giving them anything, and got booed out of the building. Nash said he tried to approach P to give him hell, but P was already all flustered and avoided him.

Even booking failure extraordinaire Kevin Nash told Master P when this was going on that he was going to get booed out of the building if he did the angle the way he laid it out. "If you go out there and have 20 guys beat up 4 guys, you're going to get booed." P said that he was a music superstar, so don't worry about it. They went out there, all 20 of them beat the shit out of them without giving them anything, and got booed out of the building. Nash said he tried to approach P to give him hell, but P was already all flustered and avoided him.

Not mention WCW's core audience at the time (At least what the company was built upon) wouldn't have been considered rap fans by any stretch.