TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

24/7 Shorties

Did someone lend the WWE Video Department the Roddy Piper music video from their personal VHS collection? It does not appear to appear to have the same slick remastered quality as everything else to ever air on the channel. Pretty wacky, though.

Any video that has a large black woman walking down the street just so she can randomly yell "EV-RE-BOD-EH HERE COMES TOO COLD SCORPIO!" is a winner.

Nothing says Hanukkah like Bill Goldberg's head on a lighting up a menorah!

10 years later and I still don't like Goldberg's casual selling (at best) of receiving TWO deadly legdrops.

Among the Shorties is the Colesium Home Video rematch from WMVI between Dusty Rhodes and Sapphire w/Elizabeth vs Randy Savage and Queen Sherri w/ Brother Love. Although not exactly a technical classic, it's a lot better and more entertaining than their WM encounter. A few notes...

1) Gorilla and Heenan are pure gold here. Gorilla especially. Here's an exchange between the two...

Heenan: "Sherri has eyes for Brother Love."

Monsoon: "She has eyes for anything wearing a pair of pants!"

Also a fun one where Monsoon says Elizabeth is a "10" and when Heenan asks about Sapphire, Gorilla said she's a minus-three. Heenan says they finally agree on something then Gorilla asks if he meant looks or in-ring talent.

2) It's sad to think that all three women involved in this match (Elizabeth, Sherri, and Sapphire) are all dead. Something very ****ed up about that.

Another interesting bit in the shorties is from the AWA in 1980. Lord Alfred vs Bobby Heenan.

Not sure if Brother Love's entrance was included but my favorite quip came when Heenan pointed that Love's music is tranquil and makes one want to sit back and think of the beautiful things in life. Monsoon drops the ol "It makes me want to barf!" line in response.

Did someone lend the WWE Video Department the Roddy Piper music video from their personal VHS collection? It does not appear to appear to have the same slick remastered quality as everything else to ever air on the channel. Pretty wacky, though.

I know we're way past MizTV at this point, but my roommate and I became obsessed with all the bad music videos, especially the mysterious Piper video. Anyways, when I was looking it up on YouTube and found clips of Piper promoting the song as a single on some European morning show. Still doesn't explain the origin, but I found it mildly interesting.

Not sure if Brother Love's entrance was included but my favorite quip came when Heenan pointed that Love's music is tranquil and makes one want to sit back and think of the beautiful things in life. Monsoon drops the ol "It makes me want to barf!" line in response.

Yea Love's entrance is included. BTW I think the reason Piper's music video looks so bad is cuz it's not the original. WWE got it from a Nitro where the nWo showed it to mock Piper.

Guest Smues

Not taking anything from Sherri, but compared to Sapphire and Dusty of course she's going to look good.

Not taking anything from Sherri, but compared to Sapphire and Dusty of course she's going to look good.

True. But I have to admit I always found Sherri to be sexy as hell.

Wow, Sherri looks good in that tag match...

Go watch her on the Saturday Night's Main Event that's up in TV Classics. She is smoking hot there.

Since I seem to live a week in the future now, I have to comment in advance that the Jericho/Regal match from Backlash 2001 has some of the best scratch logo blurring I've seen. If this is how post Mania XIV Raw episodes will look on 24/7, excellent. Obviously the larger WWF logos on the ring apron have fairly large and obvious blurs, but the turnbuckles alternate between not blurred at all to just blurred enough that they're JUST managing they're court mandated blurring orders. Recent DVD efforts have been like this too, except I've noticed that if the match has close up action shots around the turnbuckles, the blur becomes visible on top of the wrestlers. Nothing like that was found here.

Also, they didn't change the WWF in Regal's Commissioner title.

For the Heenan/Alfred Hayes shorty, I think they spliced together an AWA match with an NWA interview (specifically, one from FL since Barbara Clearly is the interviewer). The match is clearly AWA, and the crowd is behind Alfred (even though he cheats at the end) and Heenan is up to his old tricks. But in the interview, Alfred is clearly a heel (talking trash on America), and he mentions world champions like Race, Brisco, and Dusty.

I never pass up the chance for some Art Donovan commentary.

Savage: *Explaining his theory on Jim Neidhart turning heel*

Art: Let me ask you guys a question... did you act like that in the ring?

Monsoon: (Immediately ignoring Art's question) Do you really think Jim the Anvil is that smart?

I never pass up the chance for some Art Donovan commentary.

Savage: *Explaining his theory on Jim Neidhart turning heel*

Art: Let me ask you guys a question... did you act like that in the ring?

Monsoon: (Immediately ignoring Art's question) Do you really think Jim the Anvil is that smart?

I was just about to mention that, I just broke out laughing so hard watching that, especially because Art stares at them for like 15 seconds waiting for an answer and then turns away with a tear in his eye.

The Haku/Harley match is quite good. Race could still go even after suffering such a horrific injury. He'd have a really good matcy with Larry Z on the final AWA card the next year. He could still bump and they worked well together. If anyone has ever read Race's book, when Haku was younger, he used to help Harley out when he visited Japan or something. So jobbing to him at the Royal Rumble was a way to help him out.

Some funny bits in the match including Heenan constantly switching his alligences and Ventura making fun of Monsoon. Monsoon keeps admonishing Race for not hooking the leg and Ventura says he used to see Gorilla not hook the leg when he was a child, much to Gorilla's indignation.

What the fuck was Art Donovan doing out there for the entire PPV anyways? It would have been just fine with Monsoon and Savage.

A bit late but the Eddie/Rock match that was up was pretty good. Eddie's mid-move reversal of the Rock Bottom was pretty swank.

I sorta watched the December to Dismember EC match (lots of FF for that one). Actually not as bad as I remembered with some good Punk/RVD interaction, but still not good overall. However - the Jaws cue rip-off music they used before a guy left a pod MUST be brought back.

Hulk Hogan gives one of his more insane, incomprehensible promos after his match against Kamala from the WCW Main Event from August 6, 1995. Hogan saying, "BOOMSHAKALAKA~!" over and over again cracked me the fuck up!

Anyway, watching the Snuka/Rude WMVI match-up and I have a few observations...

-Snuka's theme music has been inexplicably dubbed over. I say inexplicably because his original music had no words except for someone saying Super-Super-Superfly in a distorted voice. Did Rick James estate sue or something? The dub is very noticeable and dubs over a funny Steve Allen joke where he says Snuka is "so ugly that a vampire came into his room one day, took one look at him and bit the bed post.

-I did hear one unintentionally funny Monsoon line though. Rude misses a dropkick and lands on the back of his head, prompting Gorilla to note that "he came hard on the back on his head."

-Snuka's skin seemed very white in this match.