TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Affliction - Banned: Fedor vs. Sylvia

Posted on AOL FanHouse:

Details are trickling in about the July 19 Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia fight, and even though it might be the best heavyweight mixed martial arts match in America this year, it's looking like it could be a flop.

For one thing, Affliction, which is promoting the fight, has moved it from Dallas to Anaheim. But California State Athletic Commission executive officer Armando Garcia tells Josh Gross of SI.com that the company still has a lot of steps to take before it could officially announce a venue or begin ticket sales. July 19 is still 10 weeks away, but these things take time, and if Affliction can't even confirm its venue yet, it needs to be able to do so soon.

Another problem is that even though the talent on the card is solid (not just Emelianenko and Sylvia but also Pedro Rizzo, Josh Barnett, Renato "Babalu" Sobral, Mike Whitehead; and possibly Matt Lindland), none of those guys has a proven track record of attracting big pay-per-view buys. Sergio Non of USA Today notes that Sylvia is the only one who has ever been on the main event of a card that got 100,000 pay-per-view buys -- and Sylvia wasn't the main reason people were buying those UFC shows.

Michael Rome of Bloody Elbow predicts that the show will get just 25,000 pay-per-view buys. That would be not just a flop but a humiliation -- to such an extent that they'd be better off canceling the show.

I want to see Emelianenko fight a known heavyweight in the United States, but I want it to happen on a card that American MMA fans will watch. The July 19 Affliction card is increasingly looking like one that American fans will ignore.

This could be LA Coliseum show bad...

The official name for this show is now Affliction: Banned

The name comes from the banning of Affliction clothing from UFC shows.

UFC banned clothes?

Well, for the fighters. No fighter in the UFC (or EliteXC now) can wear Affliction clothing because they now have their own promotion.

Haven't seen this anywhere reputable but there's a link on Death Valley Driver claiming that Arlovski has inked a deal with Affliction and will debut as was rumored against Ben Rothwell on this show.

If anyone wants to buy tickets for this PM me. As a previous Affliction customer I was emailed the presale password. I will gladly pass it along to anyone who might need it.

The official announcment of Arlovski as Ben Rothwell's opponent can come as soon as Tuesday.

FWIW... I'm buying this, no doubt about it.

The figures haven't been released but it's been confirmed that Donald Trump is now holding a large percentage of the promotion. It's up on MMAJunkie as well as Meltzers site, also mentions what Mik said which is that it's expected to be announced any day now that Arlovski is signed.

But Arlovski was faster then Sylvia so I expect he'll be against Rothwell too. Saying you're faster then Tim Sylvia is like saying you have better cardio then Kevin Randleman.

But Arlovski was faster then Sylvia so I expect he'll be against Rothwell too. Saying you're faster then Tim Sylvia is like saying you have better cardio then Kevin Randleman.

Rothwell has the height, weight and reach advantage over Arlovski like Sylvia, only adding in the fact he's faster then Sylvia... Ben Rothwell is pretty much a replica of Timmy... If Arlovski can take him down and sub him, he will be in trouble...

With that said, I'm still picking Arlovski, but this fight will help out Rothwell in the long run.

With Trump involved is there any doubt that this is Tito's next stop?

Tito makes no secret of his man-crush for Donald.

This promotion may have a chance yet...

Yeah I'm glad I have TFN... Not only for MMA, but for the boxing bouts. Finally I'm able to watch Showtime boxing matches without having to pay.

Obviously there are some exceptions. I've actually seen the GZA live in concert and it was good, but not great. Like most rap shows he just did a verse each from about twenty of his songs, did some new stuff and had a few shitty rappers open for him. I'd have rather seen him do full songs (or at least the verses he raps) as opposed to seeing underwhelming openers. DJ Muggs did run the tables for him that night, so that upped the coolness factor considerably.