TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Teal-y Dan

Talk About Power-Pop

its the ultimate high school music. nearly every kid (i guess mostly stoners) like punk rock, reggae, and hip hop. i guess sublime had all that. one band i can't really stomach that i used to love are the beastie boys. arrgh. i can still handle me a little santeria but not no sleep til brooklyn.

are we only talking old old beastie boys or all beastie boys? cause that's like rating 3 different bands.

"no sleep till brooklyn" and "fight for your right to party" are easily the 2 worst songs on 'licensed to ill', but i get a big kick out of listening to that album every once in a while. they were way more clever than their singles let on.

everything. paul's boutique is actually probably the worst for me now. i can maybe listen to some of their groove holmes rip off instrumental jams from check your head or ill communication. i'd choose the latter if i had to pick ONE album of there's that didn't drive me sorta crazy. i used to love those guys.

though give me some 'she's on it'.

oh ya!

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The only Beastie Boys I really like is the line "Stole your girl like I stole your bike."

the first two weezer albums are still great. pinkerton's popularity has obviously been amplified by the characterization of it. but i enjoy the rivers/matt sharp musical interplay. the blue album is just fun. why deny yourself fun because weezer has been dropping musical turds for the past 10 years? deny surf wax america? ok, the sweater song blows. but you know...

Weezer's first two albums are great. You can really see how much influence that Sharp had on the band, because everything they have put out since he left hasn't been that good. Sharp's other band, the Rentals, is pretty solid.

Has anyone here ever checked out Ozma?

The only Beastie Boys I really like is the line "Stole your girl like I stole your bike."

no love for "So like a pimp I'm pimpin', Got a bowl to eat shrimp in"?

or "If I played guitar I'd be Jimmy Page, The girlies I like are underage"?

The only Ozma song I've ever heard is "Game Over". While I do appreciate allusions to Back to the Future, I got kinda tired of it after it came up on shuffle about twice.

the first two weezer albums are still great. pinkerton's popularity has obviously been amplified by the characterization of it. but i enjoy the rivers/matt sharp musical interplay. the blue album is just fun. why deny yourself fun because weezer has been dropping musical turds for the past 10 years? deny surf wax america? ok, the sweater song blows. but you know...

Weezer's first two albums are great. You can really see how much influence that Sharp had on the band, because everything they have put out since he left hasn't been that good. Sharp's other band, the Rentals, is pretty solid.

Has anyone here ever checked out Ozma?

They played a show 2 years ago at UC Riverside that I really enjoyed.