TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

The Master of Side Dishes Tournament

Now see, fried calamari -- that's a main dish.

Hmm... I had fried calamari as a side dish dozens of times. I've never had it as a main dish. Ever. Though if it is strictly regarded as an appetizer, then sure, I can see how it is exempt.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Couscous, that's definitely in. Good one, Marv. Same with hash browns.

I'll have to merge potatoes au gratin and scalloped potatoes. The only difference is onion, if I'm not mistaken.

Couscous, that's definitely in. Good one, Marv. Same with hash browns.

I'll have to merge potatoes au gratin and scalloped potatoes. The only difference is onion, if I'm not mistaken.

Its not onion. Au Gratin has a cheese sauce and scalloped has just a plain white sauce. Also, though some people put a breadcrumb mixture on top of scalloped potatoes, technically thats the gratin part of "au gratin" potatoes (au gratin means with crust). I assume that too many people probably use the boxed mixes which really dont have any difference between scalloped and au gratin as I think Betty Crocker's scalloped potatoes have cheese in them too.

Both of these potato dishes are pretty difficult to do from scratch unless you have a slicer to get the potato slices thin enough since they have to be sliced thin and all the same thickness or else the potatoes wont cook right. But if you have one its real easy (slice the potatoes thin, layer in a dish and pour the sauce over and bake).

It's a main dish at every single Italian restaurant I've ever been to in my entire life. It's also my wife's favourite dish, and I've never seen her order it on the side of anything. Just gnocchi and sauce.

It's like saying spaghetti is "just noodles."

Anything pasta-esque shouldn't be here, too many people consider them a main course.

I'll go with something different here: baked apple slices in cinnamon. Dee-lish with pork dishes.

Anything pasta-esque shouldn't be here, too many people consider them a main course.

I'm going to go ahead a nominate mac salad anyways.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

1 Cole slaw

2 Baked beans

3 Corn on the cob

4 Fried okra

5 cheddar biscuits

6 cornbread

7 french fries

8 garlic bread

9 asparagus

10 hash browns

11 fuckin' baked potato

12 couscous

13 white rice

14 macaroni and cheese

15 hush puppies

16 onion rings

I'm happy with this.

Guest Vitamin X

I clarified my vote for biscuits specifically for cheddar biscuits, btw.

If we are tossing out all pasta, couscous has to go, since it's technically a really small pasta. How do I know this? The Cooking Tips TV Monitor in my department at work reminds me of this every 4 minutes or so.

Also Mac and Cheese is getting robbed, it's totally a side dish.

So to atone for it, Broccoli and Cheese should take it's place.

Also Mac and Cheese is getting robbed, it's totally a side dish.

Thank you.

Can I get away with a potato chip/dill pickle combo, a la a Jewish delicatessen? Probably not, but everything else I would suggest is up there. Corn on the cob, baked beans, scalloped potatoes - this is anyone's (anything's?) tourney.

I'd honestly add mashed potatoes, but out of respect for the fact that Agent hates them, I won't. I already got my first choice and my sub (okra and fries), so I can't complain.

Mashed potatoes can be served a bunch of different ways too.

I only eat cranberry sauce at thanksgiving, but I look forward to it every year. Plus it was the basis for a Paul Is Dead clue (allegedly).

So just throwing all that out there.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'll reinstate Mac and Cheese since it was seconded, out of fairness. I love it enough to consider it a side for these purposes.

Wait, I just read the second part of Mazto's post. A substitution is fine, but fuck broccoli.

70% Cheese 30% Broccoli, you'd come to the darkside too.

It's moot anyways, THE MAC IS BACK!

Matt bringing the goods with Fried Zuke, that's shits tasty.

Also totally an appetizer, though, the zuke is.

We should just do another one with appetizers... cheese sticks, potato skins, pot stickers... tons of good stuff.

Eh... there's a local burger joint like twenty feet away from me that serves Fried Zuke as a side like French Fries, also my grandma slices it and fries it and serves it with dinner in the summer from her garden. It's a tweener, but I see it as a side.