TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 85 - Bedlam

Okay, just because you (heart) Belcher doesn't mean Day put himself in the mix by beating him. Or is this you trying in some sick way to justify Talent blowing it?

Bedlam?!

Jesus Christ, have they given up on JCVD movie names?

What about Hard Target? Nowhere to Run? Street Fighter? Death Warrant? Maximum Risk? Time Cop?

No mention of Sudden Death? That movie was badass...

Word going 'round that Goulet is out of the Kelly fight.

In somewhat-related news UFC has apparently signed UK Welterweight Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy to a four-fight deal.

Leben/Bisping is off. Per Meltzer....

"Chris Leben was sentenced today to 35 days in jail after turning himself in on a probation violation. He will be released on 5/27, because he is being given credit for days served, but this won't leave him with any training time for a fight on 6/7 in London.

It has been confirmed with UFC the Michael Bisping vs. Chris Leben match is off. Joe Silva had already had a back-up plan in case Leben wasn't able to do the fight. UFC expected Leben to be released today. At this point we can't confirm a replacement."

I can see Bisping/Maia or Bisping/MacDonald as replacements as neither fighters took much damage in their 83 fights and are likely still in decent fighting shape.

No, I think they expected Leben to be released from his sentence, so he'd have a chance to train and all that. Just in case Silva had a match prepared.

This show is freaking cursed though.

I can see Bisping/Maia or Bisping/MacDonald as replacements as neither fighters took much damage in their 83 fights and are likely still in decent fighting shape.

Nate Quarry...

I think Bisping/MacDonald would have a higher chance of sucking then Bisping/Day. Jason, for all his faults isn't scare to stand and bang with anybody so that should be a crowd-pleaser whereas Bisping/MacDonald would be Jason feebly attempting takedowns and backing up.

So this card is officially UFC 85: Cursed as James Irvin has broken his foot and will be replaced by Luiz Cane in the fight against Rashad Evans. Not like it'll make a huge difference but still........damn. And to think of all the fights that SHOULD be called off Marquardt vs Leities is still on. For now.

Actually LOTC there is a difference...

Cane is BJJ Black Belt, and James Irvin has 0 ground game, therefore if Rashad goes for the takedown he will have a lot more trouble with Cane on the ground.

Rashad is now not fighting. Which is the best decision for everyone involved.

Main Event:

Matt Hughes (42-6) vs. Thiago Alves (14-3)

Main card (televised):

185 lbs.: Michael Bisping (15-1) vs. Jason Day (17-5)

170 lbs.: Mike Swick (11-2) vs. Marcus Davis (14-3)

185 lbs.: Nate Marquardt (26-7) vs. Thales Leites (12-1)

265 lbs.: Brandon Vera (8-1) vs. Fabricio Werdum (10-3-1)

Under card (May not be broadcast):

185 lbs.: Martin Kampmann (15-2) vs. Jorge Rivera (15-6)

155 lbs.: Thiago Tavares (13-1) vs. Matt Wiman (9-3)

170 lbs.: Roan Carneiro (12-6) vs. Ryo Chonan (14-8)

205 lbs.: Jason Lambert (23-7) vs. Luis Arthur Cane (7-1)

170 lbs.: Jess Liaudin (12-9) vs. Paul Taylor (8-3-1)

265 lbs.: Neil Wain (4-0) vs. Antoni Hardonk (6-4)

Despite the confusion surrounding everything I think pulling Rashad off this card is a smart idea as I can see them saving him for the August show in Minnesota as it needs some star power as things stand right now.

This card looks good fight wise...but it's not going to draw anything on PPV. But at the same token, I don't know that people would tune in to see this card on free TV. You need something to draw, and Matt Hughes after being humbled by GSP isn't gonna do it.

Should be a fun show though.

This show does a good job of moving contenders up the ladder. Even though the HW title situation is now FUBAR'd the winner of Vera/Werdum should be challenging the outcome of Mir/Nog though that's a long wait time so they'd probably fight again. If Davis takes Swick out like he has his past opponents I see a fight with somebody like Hughes, Karo or Koscheck on the horizon as he's clearly moving past B-level opponents. If Leites can take out Nate he'll likely be looking at a fight for title contention soon enough.

Yeah, not really a big money fight card, but there are still good fights to be had here.

If they can justify making UFC 72 and 78 into ppvs, then they can get away with this one

Yet ANOTHER change to the lineup here as Eddie Sanchez steps in to replace Neil Wain against Antoni Hardonk. Let's hope that Hardonk puts the beatdown on Sanchez that Mirko should've.