TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

NHL Offseason Thread

Stu Barnes retired.

He also became an assistant coach for the Stars.

Buzz is that Montreal will retire St. Patrick's number in November. Habs reps "do not comment on matters of retired numbers."

Can't help but think Murray was asleep at the wheel here. Meszaros is 22, has proven to be a top 4 defensemen and instead of locking him up, they ship him for the soon to be 32 Kuba, the average Picard and what will likely be a late 1st.

I guess Murray's hand was forced, but still...I don't see Ottawa as a playoff team this year. Even though Redden was a zombie last year, he was at least good on the back end sometimes. I figured Meszaros would be taking Redden's spot.

Phillips-Volchenkov

Smith-Lee

Schubert-Kuba

Picard?

I thought about this a lot at the bar tonight:

Jason Smith will quarterback the Sens PP, but who will bail out Gerber? I'm still iffy on him. I like Auld, but would him breathing down my neck frighten me enough to steal the show, especially in a market like Ottawa?

The Sens will be alot like Tampa. By that, I mean that I see a lot of similarity between the two with a stellar offence and so-so d and goaltending. I see both teams sneaking into the 7 or 8 spot come spring.

Meszaros signed a 6/24 with Tampa.

Wideman signing looking better and better.

Joni Pitkanen - 4 million

Andrej Meszaros - 4 million

John-Michael Liles - 4.2 million

Mike Commodore - 3.5 million

Ron Hainsey - 4.5 million

Mark Streit - 4.1 million

Dennis Wideman - 3.875 million

Bryan McCabe to Florida is done, according to a few "well placed sources" (not eklund).

Whoever they were, they were right. Confirmed today, he's gone to Sunrise for Mike van Ryn and a pick.

Sens send Lawrence Nycholat to Vancouver for Ryan Shannon. Nycholat was a spare part, so this has to be an upgrade of sorts. I hope.

Welcome back. I was flirting with the idea of launching 20 Questions, but that wouldn't be right.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Robert Lang to the Canadiens for a second-round pick. Sounds like this was just a way to find more time for Dave Bolland and Kris Versteeg. Probably some cap space ramifications too. Screw the salary cap.

Eric Staal stays in Raleigh for 7/57.75 million. That's an 8.25 million cap hit.

Also, the Scabs signed Patrice Brisebois to a one-year deal. Gainey said he's out of the Mats Zzzzundin sweepstakes.

It looks like Radulov will play one year in Russia with Salavet Ufa for $4 million and return next season to play out the final year of his contract with the Nashville Predators and will likely get a rich extension once that contract is up.