TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2008 MMA Year End Review

The key thing, to me, about a severe asskicking is the fact that the guy is *aware* of the fact he is getting pwned and must live through every second of it. The psychological effects are just as important as the physical. So while Wandy rape choking Jardine is great, the dude was already on queer street and didn't last long enough to suffer.

Comeback of the Year (single fight)

Jesse Forbes def. Chris Camozzi via submission (armbar), Rd. 3

Runner-up: Shinichi "BJ" Kojima def. Mamoru Yamaguchi via submission (guillotine choke), Rd.3

So Frank Mir warrants consideration for FOTY as does Rashad Evans.

Mir finished Nog, which is a helluva accomplishment in and of itself but to make it better, he won the interim title as well, and beat Lesnar - who currently is champion. With that said, it's hard to consider the Lesnar win a win over a top fighter, considering Brock had 1 fight up to that point. The case can however be made that he beat 2 champions in a given year which puts him up for consideration.

Evans beat Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin in the year. Griffin was considered number 1 in the world, and though Chuck had come off two losses in the previous year, that doesn't remove him from the top 10, with possibly the Silva win putting him back in the top 5. Either way, 2 top ten fighter finishes in particularly brutal fashion warrants consideration, especially considering the step up in competition.

I'd put Rashad above Mir. Chuck and Forrest were both ranked top tenners when Sugar dealt 'em. When Mir beat Brock he wasn't top ten but that's not to say Frank isn't a FOTYC because of his two wins this year.

I'll also lay this out here right now: Brock is going to eat Frank's food in the rematch.