TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Florida to become two states?

Guest Vitamin X
NORTH LAUDERDALE -- Tired of what they say is mistreatment by the State government, the North Lauderdale City Commission is pushing a resolution that would split Florida into two separate states - North and South.

North Lauderdale city leaders say South Florida contributes more tax dollars to the State than they're getting back and are unable to meet all the needs of tax payers.

Commissioner Rich Moyle says they're frustrated with the state Legislature "ignoring the cities in South Florida." But he acknowledges the idea likely won't pass.

The commission is trying to rev up support by sending out hundreds of resolutions to other South Florida cities and the Miami-Dade, Monroe, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

When asked Tuesday about he resolution, Governor Charlie Crist could only muster up a laugh. Copyright 2008 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Link

Personally, I think South Florida just probably just secede itself from the Union.

Guest Smues

I doubt anything comes of this. Every couple of years they start up talk of doing the same thing in Washington, with the east side becoming it's own state because they have to pay taxes for things on the west side they don't get any value from. (Safeco field, Seahawk Stadium, etc.) And while it kind of is a valid complaint, splitting the state would be retarded as there's not much of an economy on the east side. Spokane is about all there is, and it doesn't really have anything to generate moolah. I like the Florida secession idea.

Maryland needs to be split in two worse and theres even a natural division between the two parts so that part is taken care of.

I also like how VX completely ignored the last sentence of his quote.

If any state should be made two states, it's Michigan. It's already split in half anyways.

There used to be a movement (though it was always partly tongue in cheek) to get the UP and the northern part of Wisconsin to form their own state called "Superior", for similar reasons to those in the Florida article.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I think South Dakota should become two states. East South Dakota and West South Dakota.

After that, East South Dakota and West South Dakota should each split, thus creating North East South Dakota and South East South Dakota and North West South Dakota and South West South Dakota. Then North Dakota should do the same thing, creating East North Dakota and West North Dakota, then North East North Dakota and South East North Dakota and North West North Dakota and South West North Dakota.

No one can stop Dakota Mitosis.

If any state should be made two states, it's Michigan. It's already split in half anyways.

I tried to get Michigan divided for five years...

If any state should be split in two, it's California.

Northern California and Southern California are like apples and oranges.

Plus, Southern California can go fuck itself. Especially Ventura.

No one can stop Dakota Mitosis.

This was about 100 times funnier than any line I was planning to post.

no one in So Cal likes you anyway stay North and away from Ventura

Ventura County sucks dick for sure, but socal has a better coast. How about instead of splitting us apart (I'm moving to SF in like 12 days though), we join with Washington and Oregon and split off to form a different country. It's economically feasible, and only the pacific has the resources to sustain itself too.

I don't know, man, they have the LARGEST FIREWORKS DISPLAY EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER!!!!!!!!!!!! in Portland during the 4th of July. If we become another country, we're gonna have to figure out a way to keep that.

Guest Vitamin X

Oregon, Washington, and Vancouver, B.C. all could secede from their respective countries and call it Cascadia.

And I think Jorge meant West of the Mississippi. We also have the largest Cinco De Mayo festival in the country, which was really shocking to me, considering it'd beat out any one in Texas or California.

And I fucking love Ventura, CA. The rest of the county I'm not sure I care for so much.

Oregon, Washington, and Vancouver, B.C. all could secede from their respective countries and call it Cascadia.

And I think Jorge meant West of the Mississippi. We also have the largest Cinco De Mayo festival in the country, which was really shocking to me, considering it'd beat out any one in Texas or California.

And I fucking love Ventura, CA. The rest of the county I'm not sure I care for so much.

Egh, Cinco de Mayo always makes Waterfront Park smell like shit and warm, wet garbage.

I don't know, man, they have the LARGEST FIREWORKS DISPLAY EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER!!!!!!!!!!!! in Portland during the 4th of July. If we become another country, we're gonna have to figure out a way to keep that.

Wait, back up... Portland is east of the Mississippi River? :huh:

EDIT - nm, I guess X mentioned it already.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Portland, Maine.

Or, to get really gay about it, if you start at the Mississippi River and continually travel east, you'll hit Portland, Oregon.

Portland, Maine.

Or, to get really gay about it, if you start at the Mississippi River and continually travel east, you'll hit Portland, Oregon.

Forever east

HOW?! Just a buncha homeless methheads and assholes, from what I saw.

Guest Vitamin X

I spent quite a few days camping out there from time to time a long while back. I mean, this way back in 2002-2003, so things could have changed since then.

But I guess I would've counted as both a homeless methhead and an asshole at the time, so maybe it just sucked for you. Honestly though, it's a cheaper version of Santa Barbara, at least in the places I hung out at. Plus, from someone who lives up in San Jose, bitching about a homeless problem is surely pretty retarded when you've got bad ones of your own up in NoCal. Much, MUCH worse than Southern California- and you can take that from someone who's lived in both areas as well as in downtown Portland, which has a bad one too.

Not exactly true, considering the homeless up here are actually polite and don't get pissed when you don't have money to give them or threaten to "shank you" if you don't give them a cigarette.

Of course, I lived right next to the homeless village and they would try and come into my apartment "to get somethin' to eat, man."

I've lived in all three areas, too, my man, and I can tell ya, the homeless in Ventura are far, FAR worse than the ones anywhere else I've been.

And to be honest, San Jose doesn't have THAT big of a homeless problem. San Francisco, though. Wow. That's just pure, pure shit.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't know, dude. Ventura was pretty chill for me and I lived less than a 20-30 minute drive away in Santa Clarita so I went there all the time for the beach. It was great for me.

If you're just visiting like that, then yeah, Ventura's great. Even I liked it when I was just visiting. Living there and having to deal with the people on a daily basis will realllly get on your nerves.

So, I also take it you left before the beaches got pretty crappy, huh? After the mudslides of '05, the entire town just went down the tubes.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah I haven't been to the Southern California coast since late 2003/early 2004, actually. And I've only visited L.A. once since then, last summer. Blech.

Oh, LA is a bloody wasteland. Hollywood, surprisingly, wasn't that bad.

Yeah, you probably left at it's peak. Some of my homies down there don't know what happened. They LOVED Ventura, then the mudslides, and they can't wait to get out. The people got worse, the beaches got gross, the places got more expensive. Have you ever been to Dargan's? The bar on East Main and California street? 9 dollar beer night EVERY night.

You know where DOESN'T suck as bad as I thought? San Diego. People weren't as dick headed as I had heard, and were, in actuality, quite friendly.