TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atticus Chaos

Joss Whedon's Dollhouse

I liked Gellar in Cruel intentions. I think her problem is she just made some very bad movie choices, and nothing that really showcased her talent. She's still miles ahead of the likes of Jessica Biel and Megan Fox. I hear she's actually going back to television now because she doesn't like the scripts she gets offered.

I was going to watch Bones just for David Boreanaz, but I ended up not watching it. I think it was because another show was on at the same time and this was before DVR/downloading happened for Craig. But I did end up watching it and it wasn't for him just because it looked good.

I haven't seen anything that Anthony Stewart Head has been in since Buffy, sooo I don't know if he is any good outside of Buffy. And Seth Green is the biggest star out of the bunch though. Marsters would be if he could actually get some good roles.

Nathan Fillion and Amy Acker were probably the best actors out of the bunch and the ones with the most potential. Shame they're both stuck in cancelled tv show hell. With the right movie, Fillion could be huge. He reminds me of Harrison Ford a lot.

yet make ready to launch a preemptive Roswell-like campaign because they're convinced that it will ultimately fail? That seems rather defeatist and perhaps a bit... obsessive?

Because two of those three television shows were cancelled prematurely. Angel really needed at least one more season, and Firefly was interfered with so badly that it was the equivalent of getting yanked into an alley, gang-raped, castrated, then left to bleed to death in the gutter. And despite Joss's protests that it will be a whole different deal this time, he's once again going back to Fox, the network which did the aforementioned cornholing.

Angel lasted 5 seasons, so I'd say that there was probably sufficient time to end the story well. Firefly, I don't disagree with you on (even though I didn't care for the show). As an aside, they manged to do a 2-for-1 on the gang rape given how they yanked Dark Angel at the last minute in favour of Firefly.

Or what is it about his stuff that would make you want to watch a former Buffy/Firefly et al actor simply because they were on one of his shows? I guess I'd find it hard to believe that all the actors on the shows are incredibly good ones. Probably what stands out to me is people who watch Bones because David Boreanaz was Angel - I suppose the show has it's following but compared to other procedurals it doesn't really stand out.

That's a two-parter. First of all, why watch them in anything else? Pure obsession. Like someone who's a huge fan of The Shield wanting to see everything else Michael Chiklis has ever done, despite the fact that he hasn't done much else worth watching.

But the more complex part: Whedon is kinda like Paul Heyman in that he can take a mediocre performer and somehow stick them in an absolutely perfect role which plays to their strengths and avoids their weaknesses. I've never seen a single movie Sarah Michelle Gellar which I thought was any good, but she's wonderful on Buffy. Same thing with most of the cast members, Whedon's show is almost always where they've done all their best work. There are exceptions, Seth Green comes to mind, but few of the main cast members have ever done much else worth watching.

Yeah, it's a two-parter, but your reasoning makes sense. Thank you.

Angel lasted 5 seasons, so I'd say that there was probably sufficient time to end the story well.

Yeah, but they still had at least another season of stuff planned. They were told rather abruptly that they weren't coming back next year, when they'd already shot like 3/4ths of the season, so they had to scramble in order to try and finish up as much as possible in the last few episodes. That's why the ending was so weird, it was a Fuck You to the network for yanking them without enough notice.

Yeah during the strike, I re-watched seasons 3-5 and the ending of 5 just didn't seem right. They really didn't go after Wolfram and Hart, just some people who work for them. They needed more time to throw some stuff together and finish it off. I would have been happy with a 13 episode season.

The finale of Angel was tremendous and fitting. Where Buffy was able to defeat the first and save the day, Angel was more about the struggle where the victory is in fighting, not in the outcome.

I am not a huge fan of the premise of Dollhouse. It doesn't seem to have any sort of legs to it. I'd say it is more fitting for a film than a series. I'll echo the sentiments of others in saying Eliza is a poor choice for a lead. The scene with the bride gives me some hope, though. I wish Whedon would just give Fox Firefly and hope they forgot that they canceled it, so we could get 11 more episodes of it.

The finale of Angel was tremendous and fitting. Where Buffy was able to defeat the first and save the day, Angel was more about the struggle where the victory is in fighting, not in the outcome.

True dat. If you notice, Buffy's seasons usually ended at a stopping point and gave a feeling of closure. Except for maybe Seasons 4 and 6, you could've cancelled the show at the end of any of them and still felt like you'd gotten a complete story. Angel wasn't like that at all, every single one of its season finales were always a cliffhanger which led into something next year. So I guess it's kind of fitting that the ending wasn't really an end, even if it hadn't been the original plan all along.

I wish Whedon would just give Fox Firefly and hope they forgot that they canceled it, so we could get 11 more episodes of it.

True dat, yo. Serenity was nice and all, but out of anything Whedon could possibly do in his career my biggest fanboy wish would be that he could just restart Firefly as a television series.

Also, the Firefly show he'd pitch to FOX would not include Serenity as Canon. I need Book and Wash dammit!

Mal: Hey didn't you guys die?

Book: Nope.

Wash: What's death?

*Continues where Objects Floating in Space left off... presumably with Blue handed me*

I won't watch until it gets renewed for a second season. I completely refuse to get sucked into another goddamned show and have it cancelled on me. So fuck it.

As for Whedon and his shows, outside of Nick Brendon and J. August Richard's and that dude that played Lorne(all of them had their moments but they weren't really that good) he had some incredible actors.

Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof had some of the greatest scenes I have ever seen on television in season 5 of Angel. James Marsters had some absolutely incredible moments. So did Sarah. Nathan Fillion and Summer Glau were amazing on Serenity (although honestly, there was no weak link in that cast. They all were amazing)

The second teir ones like David Boreanaz(who sucked ASS for years before becoming a good actor) and Allyson hannigan (who was a decent actress but did a amazing job being cute) were also good.

So basically, he hasn't done anything that wasn't great on television to me (angel was rough for the first year and a half but then, man....one of the best shows ever after that) so I will continue to automatically assume everything he does will be awesome until proven otherwise.

Richards was good in season 5 and had gotten laughs out of me on various occasions. But yeah, it's a sin Alexis Denisof doesn't get more work. Ditto Acker. Nathan Fillion really should be filling in Harrison Fords shoes, imo.

Alexis Denisof has had like 3 appearances on how I met your mother. ..and that's all he's done for the past four years! Its incredible. I have to think maybe he's been on a sabbatical because there's no way he couldn't have gotten any work.

I think if Fillion was going to be a huge star, it would have happened with Serenity. As it is, when it flopped he had to go back to tv. Which is a shame because unlike Sarah Michelle Gellar, who is better suited to television, he's seems more of a natural movie actor.

The second teir ones like David Boreanaz(who sucked ASS for years before becoming a good actor)

He turned out pretty good after he was "found" by casting director when he was walking his dog.

True dat. If you notice, Buffy's seasons usually ended at a stopping point and gave a feeling of closure. Except for maybe Seasons 4 and 6, you could've cancelled the show at the end of any of them and still felt like you'd gotten a complete story.

Actually, that was intentional. I rmemer either reading or hearing an interiew where they said the show was always in danger of being canceled, so they made it a point to wrap things up by the end of the season. The only exception being seasons 4 (where they knew they were comming back till at least episode 100) and season 6 (because they had a two year deal with UPN).

Something for all of you Buffy fans- I was at Best Buy today toget Indy and Hell in a Cell, and in the TV Shows aisle there were free copies of the 2008 pannel that reunited most of the cast of Buffy. It's pretty fun to watch them interact with each other and listen to their memories on the show.

I saw Eliza Dushku back in August at a movie premiere and I heard her talking to some reporter that she's headed back to LA after this to finish up shooting some episodes. Or something like that.

As soon as I saw this bumped, I figured it had to be bad news. There's already rumors going around about Fox not being happy with the episodes and ordering reshoots. But they're seriously putting Dollhouse in the exact same death timeslot where Firefly got its infamous assfucking?

I wonder if they're going to make Joss show one of the midseason episodes and rivet on an "Oh by the way here's the cast" like he had to do with Firefly?

BTW Ripper I think my favorite moment on Buffy is when Spike got his soul back and Buffy finds him in the mausoleum (I think it was) crazy as hell. When he embraces that cross and starts smoking, I was like "FUCK". Ever since then I've loved watching James Marsters work, even when he's stuck being Brainiac on Smallville.

As soon as I saw this bumped, I figured it had to be bad news. There's already rumors going around about Fox not being happy with the episodes and ordering reshoots. But they're seriously putting Dollhouse in the exact same death timeslot where Firefly got its infamous assfucking?

Fox probably isn't happy because it wont "connect" with the mainstream audience, but it's still damn fuckin good.

Would you honestly love this concept if it wasn't Joss Whedon? I'm still not sold on it, if/when it comes out and I watch it and I enjoy it, I will write a letter to Whedon and say:

"Hey,

I'm so internet nobody that said your program was crap on an internet forum you've probably never been to. Sorry, I'd like to take what I said back, I did enjoy it."

I'm just not convinced this is anything new or fresh, really feels like I've seen it already without actually, you know, watching it.

Yeah because it's Whedon, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, the networks fuck good TV shows over sometimes. FOX I'm looking at you. Firefly. Arrested Development.

Yeah because it's Whedon, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, the networks fuck good TV shows over sometimes. FOX I'm looking at you. Firefly. Arrested Development.

Fox gets criticised for cancelling Arrested Development, but they gave it more than enough chances. No one was watching it. I don't know what else they were supposed to do.

As for Dollhouse, it might be too easy to blame Fox again. Whedon doesn't really seem to know where he's going with it. The biggest complaint Fox have is that it's not really about anything. And from what I've heard about the early scripts, that's probably a valid point. People have theorised that Whedon had this idea in his head of what the show was supposed to be, but he's having no luck portraying that on screen and now he's just lost on it and trying one thing after another.