TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

Food Signage and Labels

I don't know about the general public at large, but I'm a big fan of chains that don't bother to update their signs to match updated logos and such. I was disappointed to see a local Pizza Hut just now change their sign to the current "Attitude era" stylization of the logo.

I don't agree so much in the context of a chain. I agree in spirit, but it's not like the food isn't the same, I don't think they're holding on to old world tradition... they're just lazy or behind the times.

Old fashioned type logos are good only when the company itself never bothers to change, or if it's not a chain (or a very small one).

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

Aesthetically, the older ones are generally cleaner and not as busy, though.

whitecastle_logos2.gif

The third one is much better, as blackletter is a busy read already without perspective added to it.

0606-changes.gif

The only one I can get behind is that Taco Bell update, and even then, it'd be better in the warmer southwestern tones of the original than garish hot pink and purple. Those aren't food colors. (Obligatory rebuttal: Taco Bell isn't food.) The new Long John Silver's looks like some sort of kiddie place, and the rest of those are just cluttered with extraneous design elements.

All that and more at this guy's blog, http://glass.typepad.com/journal/design/index.html, plus an entry on the anatomy of letters, which I found interesting. I never would've even thought about stuff like that. I take word processing for granted.

On the topic of old fast food places, this is a fun site too: http://www.notfoolinganybody.com

Treble, Coffee Time is a Canadian place, right? timcafe.jpg

Treble, Coffee Time is a Canadian place, right?

Yes. Maybe the worst jingle ever. "Coffee Time is any time. Any time is Coffee Time."

Why'd you limit it to Treble? Not that I have any problem with him, but it's really close to a Leafs-Habs game.

I think I know a worse jingle than that.

"Save a lotta money... Florida No Fault!" They actually sing it, they don't just yell it.

At least the Coffee Time one is a pathetic attempt at a pun.

Speaking of Florida jingles, there was also this one: "1-800-588-2300... Empire!" For carpets. But... it's been almost two years since I heard that, and I can still quote the number verbatim.

Neither of those are to do with food, though, so nevermind.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, HYUNDAI! Thursday, Friday, Saturday, HYUNDAI! Workday, Playday, Any day, HYUNDAI! Save every day at Glenbrook Dodge-Hyundai!

"Chinese Hut" - love it. "Excellent re-use of the word "hut"."

EMBASSY Cleaners turning into KEMBASS(X) Cleaners is pretty damn funny too.

My city has a Medical X-Ray Clinic that was converted from a sports bar. The patio railing is still there... but this Chiropractic Clinic with the KFC bucket is much funnier.

Speaking of Florida jingles, there was also this one: "1-800-588-2300... Empire!" For carpets. But... it's been almost two years since I heard that, and I can still quote the number verbatim.

Empire is everywhere, and the animated/CG carpet guy in the commercial looks like Stan Lee for some reason. Stan Lee co-created Spider-Man and the X-Men, who have been licensed for popsicles (among other things), so there's your rather tenuous connection to food, and thus, we can allow it.

Anyway, in terms of jingles (Caps for emphasis):

GOTTA BE, GOTTA BE, DOM-IN-OES!!

Hate the jingle, hate the pizza, but it's been stuck in my head for over a decade now.

I think our Pizza Hut still has the old logo on the sign, but Harvey's and Burger King changed a few years back. Although, last time I checked, the napkins at the BK still have the old logo embossed on them.

We have a Tim Hortons that used to be a Taco Bell, but it was a newer building, so it didn't have the distinctive look that most old Taco Bells on that page have.

Speaking of Tim Hortons, we have 6 now, for like 20,000 people. Our Wal-Mart has a Tim Hortons AND a McDonalds.

There's a really good semi-upscale Italian restaurant here that was converted from a Burger King. That's all I have to add.

Oh and the town where I go to college in has a population of about 7,000 and we have three, yes, THREE Dunkin' Donuts. Though one of them is in the town Wal-Mart so it might be 2 and 1/2.

There's a really good semi-upscale Italian restaurant here that was converted from a Burger King. That's all I have to add.

Seen a place in Richmond Hill that over the years has gone from a McDonald's to Licks to Japanese All-U-Can Eat.

On a marginally connected-to-food (in that it was served there) point, I've also lived close to the Compaq Center which was converted to Joel Osteen's home base, and now that I'm back in the GTA I live close to a church that used to be a strip club.

I grew up in a town of about 19,000, which had exactly one of every chain restaurant, yet seemingly infinite churches. There used to be an intersection with a church on every corner until a kid from the junior high burned down two of them. I'd rather have two Burger Kings than 15 churches.

The town, by the way, was Jacksonville Illinois, which there is a song about on Sufjan Stevens' Illinoise album.

Really good song too.

Starvenger, what church at what intersection are you talking about?

Don't know the name of the church, but the club was Bunnies/Friction at 48 and Anderson in Markham