TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Will Smith opens his own School

Guest Desensitized
pubic education is harmful

Didn't know you were abstinence-only

I don't think providing one's children with an alternative to government-provided education is any sort of social injustice.

And where did I say that we should ban private schools? When did I rescind my twice-stated opinion of "it's the Fresh Prince's money and since this is America he can do what he wants with it"? I don't think there's anything especially wrong with the idea of rich people being able to buy better everything. But since, as stated this is America and we can do what we want, I'm free to voice my opinion that I think a lot of the reasoning people send their kids to private school for is bullshit. I think that the only legitimate reason to send a kid to private school is if the public school they're zoned for sucks and there's a massive disparity between the qualities of education. Anything else, like private school for religious reasons or just so you can brag about your kid having been to private school, is just plain old "guvmint ain't fit to tetch my kin" malarky.

Furthermore, I hate the pejorative use of the term "special snowflake," which always emanates from people who are actually even more pathetic than I am. There are ways to impress upon children that they're unique in many ways and just like everyone else in other ways. Most kids can't even conceptualize being able to write/sing/draw/shoot a basketball as well as you can; everyone falls off their bicycle and scrapes up their knees because they're no damn good at riding a bike yet. This was more or less how I was raised, and I feel I've turned out as well as I possibly could. But if you don't think your child is special and worthy of the best learning environment possible, you'd be really missing the mark as a parent. Damn right your kid is more important than the rest of the world.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue here. Sure, you should think your kid is special. But I've seen way too many cases where someone went overboard with it and the kid ended up spoiled and arrogant because of it. Hell, I did to an extent. Sometimes people need to be reminded that they aren't inherently superior to everyday folks.

Guest Desensitized
I think that the only legitimate reason to send a kid to private school is if the public school they're zoned for sucks and there's a massive disparity between the qualities of education. Anything else, like private school for religious reasons or just so you can brag about your kid having been to private school, is just plain old "guvmint ain't fit to tetch my kin" malarky.

Mostly true, although the snobbery/knuckle-dragging mixed metaphor is kind of a puzzler. For the record, my town's Catholic school was a real douchebag factory, and it would've been nice if the Mary-worshippers kept to their own damn selves for another four years after 8th grade, so I'm with you on the Religious Reasons point.

I'm all about home-schooling, should the issue arise in my future. No child of mine could possibly be anything but horribly maladjusted in public school, so might as well be maladjusted and learn a lot. Worked for Rebecca Sealfon.

They got to him too!

Now watch Will's career go the same way as Tom's...

His movie career you mean? Considering Cruise has been involved with Scientology since 1990, I don't understand what you're saying here...Cruise has been involved in a ton of good movies in the past 18 years. While he may be a kook out here in the real world, his ability to make good movies hasn't decreased. Sure he cranks out a stinker here and there, but almost every actor does.

alll I'm saying is the California public school system fucking sucks and if I were in Will's situation I'd do the same thing. Fuck looking out for everyone else when it would come to my own kids. You think I'm selfish and elitist? I'd slash your throat and drink whiskey there will be blood style as you would condemn for looking out for my own blood.

They got to him too!

Now watch Will's career go the same way as Tom's...

His movie career you mean? Considering Cruise has been involved with Scientology since 1990, I don't understand what you're saying here...Cruise has been involved in a ton of good movies in the past 18 years. While he may be a kook out here in the real world, his ability to make good movies hasn't decreased. Sure he cranks out a stinker here and there, but almost every actor does.

While Cruise has been involved with them for a while, prior to his divorce from Nicole Kidman he had a great team of publicists who managed to downplay the scientology aspect of his life, and portray him as this regular guy. However, after he left Kidman (which was rumoured to be because the scientology people didn't like her) he also got rid of his publicist after she basically told him he couldn't be open about his role in scietology and remain a big star. That's when all the crazy behaviour started: couch jumping, arguing with Brooke Sheilds, annoying the president of France, ranting against pschiatry and seeming to turn Katie Holmes into some sort of stepford wife. Then THAT scientology interview came out.

It's not being a scientologist that has wrecked Cruise's career so much, it's being so open and overbearing about it. You can't tell me that Tom Cruise is in the same position he was five or six years ago.