TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
andrew8798

Resident Evil 5

seems Games Radar has jumped the gun earlier in the day with a new Resident Evil 5 preview. They uploaded a series of screenshots which we've all seen before from the magazine scans, along with a possible hint that there will be online co-op in the title among other things. I've seen that Capcom has denied this preview as being rumors and or speculation, but I figured we should post it just to be safe. However, I've heard from a source that at least one of the new things this preview mentions is indeed true. Unfortunately, I can't expand upon that but take it for what you will. Thanks to Big_Stu who copied the text before Games Radar pulled it and king zell from Neogaf for saving the screens:

"Resident Evil 5 takes place in an anonymous country (naming it would only serve to exacerbate issues of racial controversy that arose from last year’s extended trailer) somewhere along the Eritrean/Ethiopian/Kenyan line of active volcanoes. While the beginning of Resident Evil 5 echoes 4’s startling opening there’s one major difference; when Chris enters the village its residents are uninfected. The tranquil start is quite unlike anything else in the series, as up until now we’ve only ever explored locations with hostile inhabitants. Originating deep below the surface, the virus is released due to volcanic activity and turns hosts into maniacs that, crucially, retain all their intelligence and communication skills.

Not only are these enemies more intelligent than the Ganados, there are more of them too. Chris is no pushover, but we don’t like his odds. However, something that may play in his favor is the landscape. Resident Evil 5 will expand on two features from 4’s opening level: space and verticality. The days of exploring corridors are over, and, like Carnby’s run of Central Park in Alone in the Dark, Chris is going to have gigantic areas to explore with balconies and rooftops coming in to play thanks to his heightened athleticism. Shifting focus from narrow spaces to large areas has allowed Capcom to up both the number and intelligence levels of enemies, so when you’re running up stairs and ducking in and out of buildings you’ll not only have more people chasing you but enemies who can actually pre-empt your moves and block your way too."

"If Resident Evil 4’s Dr. Salvador set your pulse racing, then get ready for a heart-attack. The ante’s been upped, and Chris has two of the bastards to deal with now. While we’ve seen plenty of the ‘Executioner’ - the sack-headed freak with a giant makeshift axe - the first glimpse of an even more terrifying foe reveals a chainsaw-wielding psycho. This guy doesn’t need his fellow villagers to wrestle you to the ground before lopping your head off, he simply needs to charge at you and let those nickel teeth do all the bloody work. Two super-baddies means twice the panic. In the areas where you’re separated from your partner there’ll be one roaming for each player, but when you’re thrown together you’d better have more than one escape route in mind. Resident Evil 5 is far less linear than its predecessors. The open locations have multiple exits to utilize (and hence entrances for the enemies to swarm you) instead of the staple diet of ‘corridor action’ we’ve grown accustomed to. If you really want to stand and fight, make sure you’ve got the weapons to do so."

"New to Resident Evil 5’s combat system is the ability to lock to a wall and fire around the corner. Say goodbye to awkward shuffling in order to find a line of sight through a doorway. Strafing is still out, but factor in Chris’ ability to duck and dive with the right stick too and he’s much more agile than Leon. This is just as well, because with a fragile girl in tow you need all the firepower and new skills you can get. Like 4, Resident Evil 5 will appeal to your paternal instincts by asking you to lay down your life for the young lady in need of rescue."

"Or should we say maternal? It all depends on whether you’re Player Two or not. Joining Chris’ fight is a new female character. Now that Chris has a partner he needs to keep in constant touch. He has both a Bluetooth headset (and phone) and a walkie-talkie; one is for chatting with the female mercenary and the other for speaking to the outside BSAA contact, Metal Gear Solid codec style. Currently nameless, the mercenary’s inclusion means that, for the first time, you’ll be able to tackle a true Resident Evil game co-operatively online. Like Gears, the entirety of Resident Evil 5 features jump in/jump out gameplay with the AI taking over the reigns of our mysterious female mercenary when you’re playing alone."

"Takeuchi also promises, in his own words, varying weather effects and different ‘passages of time’ - which, buried among talk of the importance of light, was taken by many to mean different times of the day. While the action will take place during both day and night, Takeuchi’s true meaning is far more startling."

"With all this excitement it’s easy to forget the rest of the package. Resident Evil 5 doesn’t just feature a story; there’s the returning Mercenaries minigame and a whole host of other extras that are still safely under wraps. We’ll admit to being just a wee bit concerned when it was revealed Shinji Mikami would not be heading up the production of Resident Evil 5, but in spite of this loss on the development team the game is looking like the ultimate game of the series. 2009 is going to be the year that every Resident Evil fan’s nasty, bloody and terrifying dreams come true."

credit: http://www.the-horror.com/

Guest Smues
North American demo (might be the same as the Japanese one) is on Xbox Live now.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/of...00-0000434387f2

Should be on PSN in a week, I believe.

Thanks for the headsup. I am downloading it now.

Odds are, it will be out Thursday, or next Thursday on the PSN

I read somewhere that x-box live gets it as an exclusive for a week, which is why PSN gets it on a Monday, because it'll have been exactly a week.

I just played the demo and this game is going to be great. I got bumped off of Xbox Live. Did this happen to anybody else? Are you able to play with a friend online for the demo?

A couple of issues that I had with the game. I understand that it is just a Demo and I am sure Capcom is going to fix them. The ammo sharing needs to be fixed. You are unable to give as much or as little ammo as you want to your partner. The partners ai is stupid. I was playing as Chris and the girl had run out of ammo and there were ammo laying on the ground but she wouldn't pick up any of it. This led to both of us getting our asses handed to us.

Guest Smues

I got it and gave the single player mode a couple of tries. Man oh man am I going to be dying 10,000 times in the full game.

Its hard to dodge the oncoming axe hammer once the guy is in range and swinging, found that a bit annoying. Decided against playing anymore of it as I don't want to be put of buying the game, or have too much given away already. I think I can wait a month and a bit.

I'm not so stoked on the controls. I'll play this when they port it down to Wii in August 2011.

What? The controls are very similiar to the past games. You are going to be willing to wait 2 and a half years to play a port? You do understand that it is a demo?

I didn't like the past games (freakin' tank controls) until RE4: Wii Edition. For whatever reason that setup just felt perfect to me. And I was half-joking, because I doubt the game will come to Wii and my brother will almost definitely buy it on or shortly after launch (he's a much bigger RE fan than me).

I said this to luke-o but I'll repeat it:

The Wii is not for multi-platform games, different controls be damned. The Wii is for Nintendo licensed games featuring timeless characters like Mario and crew or games like Boom Blox that would be a bit dull with a standard controller. The Wii is not for SVR 09 or RE5. This is why there are two real consoles on the market.

I was pissed to hear they couldnt figure a way to put a version on the Nintendo.

Porting RE5 down to 8-bit would be a pretty tall order, Glenn.

I said this to luke-o but I'll repeat it:

The Wii is not for multi-platform games, different controls be damned. The Wii is for Nintendo licensed games featuring timeless characters like Mario and crew or games like Boom Blox that would be a bit dull with a standard controller. The Wii is not for SVR 09 or RE5. This is why there are two real consoles on the market.

Thank you! I do not want to hear that someone cant afford an Xbox 360 by now. The system has been out for a little over 3 years now. I was able to purchase a new 360 60gb model for 270 off of Dell.com. That equals out to me saving one quarter for everyday over the last 3 years. The PS3 is now 330 off of Dell.com. That equals what 30-35 cents a day saving over the lifespan of the system so far? Another thing I do not want to see is videogame developers having to dumb down games so they can make it for every system possible.

Played through the demo a few times. I wasn't lasting very long until I figured out that you can use the D-pad to hot swap weapons and inventory. Once I mastered that I made my way through the demo..by the skin of my teeth

I generally agree. The sidekick dynamic is a huge pain; the AI for your partner does not seem to be very good and having to constantly protect her (way to get yourself chainsawed and end my game, lady) turns the gameplay into something I don't think it's supposed to be. No tension, and loose, sluggish controls that are similar to but feel like a step back from RE4.

IT'S JUST A DEMO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can only imagine how hold the demo is and from what build of the game it is from. My partner's ai improved the second/third time around playing the demo when I finally learned to share ammo/grenades with her.

The kicker with the demo is, is that it throws you deep into some pretty big fights as you are still learning the controls. It took me a couple of tries just to get used to Resident Evil controls, but once I got the the hang of it, I found it to be a pretty enjoyable experience. Having an AI partner really never hampered me much, though a few times I wish you could tell her to duck.

Also lets not forget that one of the staples of the Resident Evil franchise is that a lot of the times, running from enemies/battles is your best initial option. Run and find higher ground or a better hiding spot, instead of just trying to stay stationary and empty all your clips.

The opening to the Demo is basically designed for you to run out of ammo in that little initial shack you are in, but once you start running around you find you can easily outrun the zombies, scoop up guns and ammo all around the map, and find better places to kill from.....

The kicker with the demo is, is that it throws you deep into some pretty big fights as you are still learning the controls. It took me a couple of tries just to get used to Resident Evil controls, but once I got the the hang of it, I found it to be a pretty enjoyable experience. Having an AI partner really never hampered me much, though a few times I wish you could tell her to duck.

The RE4 Demo did the same thing. You're walking down a dirt path then the next you think you know...WHAM!!! Chainsaw fucker coming at ya.

I got so used to playing RE4 with the Wiimote that it's gonna be tough to go back to a controller for this style of game. I wish Sony would come out with something similar.

IGN just had a new preview based off the first 3 chapters which is half of the game.

Boss Battles are easy

Controls are just the same as they were in the demo

Patner AI can be dumb and smart. Author mentions that you should do ammo and herb hording so that your partner isn't wasting bullets and herbs when it really isn't needed. Also it is mentioned that it should be like in RPG's where your partner heals you when you are less than 20 percent. Sounds to me like the gambit system from FF 12 which I agree it should be like that.

Game is very action packed and well paced.

Playing coop takes away from the sense of urgency, scare and tension of the game. This is due to you talking to another person and creating plans on how to accomplish each level. You do not get the feel of being alone.

If you miss a weapon than you will never be able to find it in the game again. Author mentions that he missed out on the shotgun. You unlock the weapon for you and your partner for the rest of the game when you find it. There are a ton of weapons. This makes exploration even more critical so that you do not miss out on anything.

If your partner has completed more of the game than you it makes the game more easy. This is due to your partner unlocking better grenades/weapons and helping you out in earlier stages of the game. I believe that you do not automatically unlock those items.

IGN just had a new preview based off the first 3 chapters which is half of the game.

Boss Battles are easy

Controls are just the same as they were in the demo

Patner AI can be dumb and smart. Author mentions that you should do ammo and herb hording so that your partner isn't wasting bullets and herbs when it really isn't needed. Also it is mentioned that it should be like in RPG's where your partner heals you when you are less than 20 percent. Sounds to me like the gambit system from FF 12 which I agree it should be like that.

Game is very action packed and well paced.

Playing coop takes away from the sense of urgency, scare and tension of the game. This is due to you talking to another person and creating plans on how to accomplish each level. You do not get the feel of being alone.

If you miss a weapon than you will never be able to find it in the game again. Author mentions that he missed out on the shotgun. You unlock the weapon for you and your partner for the rest of the game when you find it. There are a ton of weapons. This makes exploration even more critical so that you do not miss out on anything.

If your partner has completed more of the game than you it makes the game more easy. This is due to your partner unlocking better grenades/weapons and helping you out in earlier stages of the game. I believe that you do not automatically unlock those items.

From the Demo alone, I really enjoyed co-op. Talking to someone while playing probably did take a little of the creepy factor away, but that is no different from when you die and play areas over, you already know what to expect.