TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 87 - Seek and Destroy

I know he's a talented fighter, but I don't understand the reason why he is the poster boy of MMA. He beat Sherk (not in Sherk's natural weight class), beat Koscheck (but went to a UD), barely got past BJ (and I would put money down that BJ wins the rematch), beat Hughes the first time after two kicks to the groin, beat Hughes again when Hughes didn't really train and was already beginning to go downhill, didn't train hard enough and proved he had a glass jaw after the first Serra fight and won the second fight when it was clear Serra hadn't really trained that much either.

He's talented, I'm not denying that. But everyone creams themselves over this guy. I don't understand why.

You just did a great job of making yourself look silly.

- He whopped Sherk back to front. Don't fall back on that "not his natural weight class" bullshit when you know full well that the wrestling pedigree Sherk has would give any top WW today problems. Not only did GSP beat him but he beat him at his own game.

- First off it was ONE groin kick. Hughes himself admitted that the second kick hit him in the upper thigh and more or less paralyzed the leg at that point so the kick was not only totally legal but the fight itself should've continued.

- Glass jaw? This is the same fighter that took hard shots from BJ Penn for three rounds, got poked in the eye and had a broken nose and didn't drop? Yeah, glass jaw.

- Since when is outwrestling and outgrappling Josh Koscheck en route to a UD something to be criticized about? Has the two opponents Koscheck has faced since been able to present him with any problems? No? Didn't think so.

- I'm not going to defend the lack of training and motivation GSP had going into the first Serra fight so why do you act like it's a determining factor in the second? Serra got outclassed, plain and simple. Remember how people said that Serra only beats GSP nine times out of ten? He had his one chance and made the most of it.

- "Beat Hughes again when he didn't really train and was starting to go downhill" = Destroyed Hughes even worse then the first time and it was a hard pill to swallow for Serra fans (which you clearly are) because they realized the end was near.

I'm sure you're a knowledgable guy but you just looked retarded there. You know why people cream themselves over GSP? Maybe it's because he has one of the best resume's out there. There is no fighter in MMA history that had the run he had before beating Hughes the first time. No fighter in the game went through the top five in his weight class (Trigg, Sherk, Penn, Hughes) en route to a mashing like he dished out to Hughes in their second fight.

GSP is odd for me. I respect the hell out of the guy, but I can't say I'm a fan. He's just so goddamn talented that I feel almost bad for his opponents.

He also has a habit of beating people at their own games. Someone like Fedor...He'll just come up with a gameplan to beat the opponent. GSP intentionally aims his gameplan at whatever his opponent will be doing, as if he's going "Hah. I'm better then j00" as he beats them at jiu jitsu, or wrestling, or striking. I REALLY felt bad for Koscheck, despite him being a fantastic heel because GSP just fucking humiliated him in route to that decision. Poor fucker couldn't do anything.

...It comes off...kinda...mean, I guess.

All I will say is there is a HUGE difference between fight cardio and every other kind of imaginary "natural" cardio out there.

The only thing Fitch has going for him against GSP is that he doesn't fold, and might even get stronger as the fight goes on. As long as GSP keeps the riddum going, it should be an easy night for him.

- So GSP's size advantage over Sherk had nothing to do with how he dominated that fight? What exactly has Sherk do down at WW? A win over Nick Diaz? A loss to Hughes? Anything else? He was the little man in the big mans division, same thing with Serra at WW. And I don't remember him outwrestling Sherk, but it has been awhile since I've seen that fight. I remember him pounding him out on the ground, with the help of his size to keep him down.

- Sorry, he ONLY kicked Hughes in the groin ONCE. That would not affect any fighter in any way, shape, or form. And to the second fight, which was originally suppose to be Hughes/Serra, but was changed 3-4 weeks due to Serra's back injury. Hughes did not go into this fight prepared for GSP and looked like he didn't want to be there. Good job for that win.

- He held his own against BJ in the first fight, but come around the second fight, Penn is going to take him standing. The glassjaw comment came from the knockout by Serra in the first fight and the fact that he refused to get anywhere near Serra standing and kept going for the takedown and GNP. If Fitch hits him hard enough, which I believe he will, I think GSP is hitting the ground and fast.

- I agree on the Koscheck comment. Beating Koscheck by UD is fine, especially when he pretty much embarrassed him in that fight.

- How could Serra have been outclassed if he went into the second fight with a nagging back injury? And what did GSP do? Beat him with knees to to the ribs/back. Serra fought his little ass off in that fight and worked as hard as he could from the bottom. GSP couldn't even pass a winded, injured Serra's guard.

I'm not here saying that St. Pierre isn't talented. He is, that is obvious. But I just don't understand why I see this guys face everywhere. GSP fans are worse than BJ fans. This Fitch fight is going to be a tough fight for him. If he comes in and destroys the guy, maybe my opinion will change. But I wouldn't be surprised if Fitch won.

I'm sure you're a knowledgable guy but you just looked retarded there. You know why people cream themselves over GSP? Maybe it's because he has one of the best resume's out there. There is no fighter in MMA history that had the run he had before beating Hughes the first time. No fighter in the game went through the top five in his weight class (Trigg, Sherk, Penn, Hughes) en route to a mashing like he dished out to Hughes in their second fight.

Let's not forget that he also has wins over Karo, Mayhem Miller and Jay Heiron (who was allegedly hot shit even back then - just ask Joe Rogan) on his resume.

- Sorry, he ONLY kicked Hughes in the groin ONCE. That would not affect any fighter in any way, shape, or form. And to the second fight, which was originally suppose to be Hughes/Serra, but was changed 3-4 weeks due to Serra's back injury. Hughes did not go into this fight prepared for GSP and looked like he didn't want to be there. Good job for that win.

I've heard rumours that two fighters are affected by fight changes on short notice, but that's just me.

- So GSP's size advantage over Sherk had nothing to do with how he dominated that fight? What exactly has Sherk do down at WW? A win over Nick Diaz? A loss to Hughes? Anything else? He was the little man in the big mans division, same thing with Serra at WW. And I don't remember him outwrestling Sherk, but it has been awhile since I've seen that fight. I remember him pounding him out on the ground, with the help of his size to keep him down.

To use a Rudoism, GSP basically gang raped Sherk and came back for seconds in that fight. But regardless, Sherk's resume includes wins over natural 185ers, so I'd have to say that his slightly-more-active LnP has worked pretty well for him at either weight class.

I'm not sure there is one. I mean, there was only one in mythology, right?

Sadly, that bull is not me. Didn't get to go to England, but I sure as hell got to pay for the tickets...

I'm not sure there is one. I mean, there was only one in mythology, right?

Sadly, that bull is not me. Didn't get to go to England, but I sure as hell got to pay for the tickets...

That is such a married mantaur thing to say.

I'm not here saying that St. Pierre isn't talented. He is, that is obvious. But I just don't understand why I see this guys face everywhere. GSP fans are worse than BJ fans. This Fitch fight is going to be a tough fight for him. If he comes in and destroys the guy, maybe my opinion will change. But I wouldn't be surprised if Fitch won.

You hating on GSP because of his fanboys is about as lame as LOTC hating on Penn because of his fanboys...

You hating on GSP because of his fanboys is about as lame as LOTC hating on Penn because of his fanboys...

Yeah, not really. GSP fanboys can back up their love with his resume. Penn fans can't.

Yeah, not really. GSP fanboys can back up their love with his resume. Penn fans can't.

BJ Penn has been the undisputed number one fighter in more than one weight class, the two deepest at that. No other fighter in the history of MMA can claim this. Not _one_

Beating Takanori Gomi the way he did made him undisputed top lightweight. That fight was huge. He brought out a guy considered to be one of the best and made that main event for the ROTR. A lot of people were looking forward to it because it brought out the best guy from North America against the best guy from Japan. While GOmi losing to Hansen just before kinda put a damper on this, he was still considered a top guy and for BJ to run through him the way he did, displaying all aspects of mixed martial arts in fine form, made him the best lightweight in the world. Hindsight being 20/20, I don't think anyone would have had any doubts who was the top lightweight at the time.

I would say he is the top lightweight in the world now too, as every ranking I've seen has him placed as such. I'd say that's pretty undisputed. Still, I wasn't thinking about now when I mentioned that.

In November 2003, he was the best lightweight in the world.

In January 2004, he was the best welterweight and the best P4P guy in the world. These are amazing accomplishments, and for you to say he doesn't have the resume to deserve the accolades that he gets, is ludicrous.

Honestly, BJ Penn will fight anybody, anywhere, anytime. To back up this heart, because anybody can be a Josh Haynes, he's got tremendous skills and is a very intelligent fighter to boot, if you've ever seen him break down the game. I respect the hell out of him for these reasons, and while I can understand why someone would love GSP, as I do, to not like BJ at all is fucking nuts. Hate his personality, but he is a "fucking fighter".

I can only assume that the giant bull in the picture is starvenger. I really see no other possibility.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys kill me sometimes.

Beating Takanori Gomi the way he did made him undisputed top lightweight. That fight was huge. He brought out a guy considered to be one of the best and made that main event for the ROTR. A lot of people were looking forward to it because it brought out the best guy from North America against the best guy from Japan. While GOmi losing to Hansen just before kinda put a damper on this, he was still considered a top guy and for BJ to run through him the way he did, displaying all aspects of mixed martial arts in fine form, made him the best lightweight in the world. Hindsight being 20/20, I don't think anyone would have had any doubts who was the top lightweight at the time.

I would say he is the top lightweight in the world now too, as every ranking I've seen has him placed as such. I'd say that's pretty undisputed. Still, I wasn't thinking about now when I mentioned that.

In November 2003, he was the best lightweight in the world.

In January 2004, he was the best welterweight and the best P4P guy in the world. These are amazing accomplishments, and for you to say he doesn't have the resume to deserve the accolades that he gets, is ludicrous.

Honestly, BJ Penn will fight anybody, anywhere, anytime. To back up this heart, because anybody can be a Josh Haynes, he's got tremendous skills and is a very intelligent fighter to boot, if you've ever seen him break down the game. I respect the hell out of him for these reasons, and while I can understand why someone would love GSP, as I do, to not like BJ at all is fucking nuts. Hate his personality, but he is a "fucking fighter".

God damn, can anyone explain it better?

Why don't you post more?

I second the sentiment that YPOV should post more.

I also agree with what he said. Maaaayyybe BJ was overhyped circa /GSP 1 and /Hughes 2 but I really don't think you can say that now. I'd go so far as to say that if he beats GSP for the WW title then he automatically jumps up to one of the best of all-time no matter what he does for the rest of his career.

Gomi was the #1 LW in the world at the time of their bout and BJ just steamrolled him.

No. I'll do you one better. He WAS overhyped then. He was still an excellent fighter with a great pedigree but people were saying "best of all-time" then and it wasn't warranted.

BJ Penn is the best of all time simply by virtue of his imitation of Andy Wang's post fight breakdown.

Not to mention him just losing his temper just after Wang's fight and just kicking him off of the team. I knew BJ was crazy, but daaamn.

I was in NYC this weekend and there is a billboard for this show in Times Square that was one of the larger ones I saw. It covered about 30-50 floors of a building or so pretty close to the MTV building and Toys'R'Us. I'm not sure if they do that for every card but it was cool to see GSP/Fitch/Lesnar/Herring being advertised so heavily.