TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

He honed his skills in a gym, it's not like they picked him off the street ala Tank.

Well you're kinda right and kinda wrong. Hunt actually WAS picked up off the streets. He used to be a bouncer and someone witnessed him roughing some people up and said he should try out for K-1. Though he has WAY more class than Tank does.

And Thais don't fight in K-1 becuase all the good Thai fighters are less than 160 pounds. There aren't too many Thais that weight more than 205.

BTW, here's who I would like to see in the GP:

Antonio Nogueira

Bob Sapp

Fedor Emelianenko

Heath Herring

Igor Vovchanchyn

Josh Barnett

Kazuyuki Fujita

Mark Coleman

Mark Kerr

Mirko Cro Cop

Pedro Rizzo

Semmy Schilt

Sergei Kharitonov

Tim Sylvia

Tom Erikson

Yoshihiro Takayama

Tim Sylvia has a high profile fight like three weeks before the GP. It's a title match he's basically guaranteed to win. You might as well get him out of there people.

I heard the story that he just beat the crap out of some guy on the street, and how someone said he should train in muay thai. Just that, if he had stepped in the ring right after, he probably would have been mauled. I'm sure that there's many more stories on how someone got started.

Apparently Shannon Briggs is fighting Tank Abbott. That will definitely be fun.

8 participants for the GP have been announced

• Fedor Emelianenko

• Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira

• Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic

• “The Texas Crazy Horse” Heath Herring

• “Ice Cold” Igor Vovchanchyn

• Stefan “Blitz” Leko

• Sylvester “The Predator” Terkay

• Sentoryu

Here is a bio on Terkay:

" He is 6'6 and 330 pounds. As well as being an NCAA Division 1 champ, he was also a 3-time NCAA All-American. He is currently training at Inoki's gym in Los Angeles, and is one of his top prospects. He beat Kurt Angle during his 1993 title run."

Basically sounds like a bigger Brock Lesnar without the name value.

Cool. I don't see Predator, Leko, or Sentoryu making it past the first round, though. It's pretty tough when you have your second, first, and first MMA fights respectively in a GP tourney that includes Fedor, Nog, Cro Cop, Herring, and Igor.

So we have those and also figure in:

Murilo Ninja - Chute Boxe has already named him as their rep

Coleman - You can't have a GP without the defending champ

Kharitonov - won survival fight

Cool. I don't see Predator, Leko, or Sentoryu making it past the first round, though. It's pretty tough when you have your second, first, and first MMA fights respectively in a GP tourney that includes Fedor, Nog, Cro Cop, Herring, and Igor.

Igor lost to Coleman in the 2000 GP.

Guest NCJ

If they want a real tournament of the best heavyweights Barnett better be there. Honestly I think Fedor beats Nog, Nog beats Cro Cop, and Cro Cop beats Fedor if he can avoid the take down is how their series will play out. It all depends on the draw. Barnett is the dark horse. He has the size and skill to beat anyone, it is just a question of if he has the mental toughness and heart to take the whole thing.

47 is next week who do you have Chuck or Tito, Arlovski or Sylvia, Edwards or Franca, Lawler or Diaz, this entire card is stacked and this should be a great show.

Don't sleep on Arlvoski. He does have good ground skills and has become a beast at standup. Sylvia's height advantage will be a problem for him, but I doubt this will be a walk through match for Sylvia.

Holy Crap! It's next week?!

Oh my God! Who's the TSM MMA guy? Who's going to do the preview?!?!

Oh that's right, me.

RRR: Shameless.

In other news, I am strangely drawn to the PRIDE GP card even with the oddities; they certainly have given some variety along with strong names. I am happy.

Terkay actually won a bout on one of the New Years Eve shows. I think Leko can surprise some people. He's been training MMA for awhile, and his standup skills are K-1 level. Thing is, while he might be better than Cro Cop in K-1 (I don't know for sure) Cro Cop in my opinion is the best standup fighter in MMA, if only for the fact that he has one punch KO power, and that MMA isn't about slowly softening up the body, not to mention that the other guys wouldn't be able to use their style in an MMA matchup. That's just me though.

Sylvia has a right straight that Arlovski should worry about. Pedro caught him with one, and Sylvia has underrated KO power. Look at what he did to Ricco and Gan. I see him taking this one, probably in the first round. It might not be *easy*, but he is going to win. There's too much in his favour. I haven't seen a weakness from Tim Sylvia yet (due to the nature of his opponents) and I don't think Andrei will be any different.

Coleman will be there it was announced. I don't see any Japanese fighter yet. Odd. I won't really get involved in the hype till I hear the matchups. I'm focused on UFC 47 right now.

I think Leko can surprise some people.

Leko has a sick right straight and some very nice leg kicks along with some excellent (and quick) combinations. I think he could do well if he has the right mentality for it as well as some takedown defense. However, he isn't as well known in MMA as Cro Cop is, so his opponents may not have the same respect for him. This could either be a plus or a minus.

Sylvia has a right straight that Arlovski should worry about. Pedro caught him with one, and Sylvia has underrated KO power. Look at what he did to Ricco and Gan. I see him taking this one, probably in the first round. It might not be *easy*, but he is going to win. There's too much in his favour. I haven't seen a weakness from Tim Sylvia yet (due to the nature of his opponents) and I don't think Andrei will be any different.

Sylvia is most certainly the favourite to win, and he probably will. I don't think that Andrei is proven to be the #1 contender, but the two guys he beat to get there (Maty and Freeman) both ate an uppercut. Sylvia coming in with a right straight leaves him open for that. In theory, the opening is there.

Igor lost to Coleman in the 2000 GP.

And...?

Leko has a sick right straight and some very nice leg kicks along with some excellent (and quick) combinations.

I thought you didn't watch K-1 :huh:

Simple misunderstanding as I thought you said 1st appearence for......when you meant it will be a good 1st round.

And Lenko was on ESPN2 today.

Simple misunderstanding as I thought you said 1st appearence for......when you meant it will be a good 1st round.

That's okay, I know I came off kind of dickish with my reply :firing:

I don't watch K-1.

I do, however, watch K-1 highlight reels 

Dude, you really need to see some K-1. Great stuff, especially '96-'99.

title.jpg

One of these things is not like the other...

Its must be the fat guy at the end, he is japanese while everybody else are white. Or is it the long hair hippie?

Okay, I'm gonna sound like an absolute idiot here, but oh well

1. What is the big deal about Randy Coultre? I've watched three seperate highlight reels of him off ironlife today and all he does is punch, punch, punch. And he doesn't even seem all that good at it. I like how someone like Igor Vovchanchyn punches because he actually seems like he has some knockout power there, but Coultre seems to just pound and pound and pound away. One of the things was a series of clips of him against Tito Ortiz. He wailed on Ortiz for 3 bloody rounds and he couldn't KO Ortiz? Whazzup wit dat?

2. What exactly is the Kimura armbar as opposed to other armbars, and does anyone have a decent pic of it?

Randy Couture is 40. At 40, he beat Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz - two of the top lightheavyweights in the sport. And he not only beat them, he dominated them. That alone gives him a TON of cred and respect.

When I first saw Randy Couture fight it was on a tape of UFC 13. He was announced as a Greco-Roman wrestler who had done some boxing training while in the army. He finished his first fight with a submission. So what appealed to me right away was his well-roundedness. He wasn't the best wrestler at the time (Mark Coleman would probably have that distinction), he wasn't the best striker and he didn't have the bset submissions - but he could do all three and did two of them pretty darn well.

Randy Couture doesn't have KO power, but his "dirty boxing" is still fun to watch. The best example is in his first fight against Vitor, that was an awesome fight and Randy has this uncanny ability to just shut guys down. He has some really good throws, his takedowns of Chuck in particular had me jumping up and down watching it. Randy Couture is another kind of badass - balls to the walls but he doesn't go overboard. Very, very smart fighter who, really, is a freak of nature given his age and how competitive this sport is.

Okay, I'm gonna sound like an absolute idiot here, but oh well

1. What is the big deal about Randy Coultre? I've watched three seperate highlight reels of him off ironlife today and all he does is punch, punch, punch. And he doesn't even seem all that good at it. I like how someone like Igor Vovchanchyn punches because he actually seems like he has some knockout power there, but Coultre seems to just pound and pound and pound away. One of the things was a series of clips of him against Tito Ortiz. He wailed on Ortiz for 3 bloody rounds and he couldn't KO Ortiz? Whazzup wit dat?

2. What exactly is the Kimura armbar as opposed to other armbars, and does anyone have a decent pic of it?

1. Boxing + Wrestling = Perfect fighter. Just like the Muay Thai fighters who use the kick to the thigh or leg to wear down the opponet, Randy uses the punch to wear down his opponet. I believe it is a set up move to get the opponet tired and prep for a takedown submission or some ground and pound.

2. I think it involves a keylock and no triangle.

A "straight kimura" has roughly the same effect as the regular kimura (IE- targets the shoulder), but is harder to finish, as having to extend one's own arms to get the proper torque lessens the power & leverage you can put into the move.