TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Guest Fear

Mark Coleman is freakishly strong and pretty good at what he does (i.e holding people down to the mat for the entire match), but to me, not an exciting fighter at all. Past his prime, the holes in his strategy have become all too clear. Any B level fighter should be able to exploit them nowadays.

My favourite Coleman match is vs. Allan Goes at Pride 13. Not because it's a particularly good match, but because of Goes's reaction when he wakes up. Priceless.

Mark Coleman is freakishly strong and pretty good at what he does (i.e holding people down to the mat for the entire match), but to me, not an exciting fighter at all. Past his prime, the holes in his strategy have become all too clear. Any B level fighter should be able to exploit them nowadays.

My favourite Coleman match is vs. Allan Goes at Pride 13. Not because it's a particularly good match, but because of Goes's reaction when he wakes up. Priceless.

Yeah I was like What the fuck? when I first saw that.

Another Mark Coleman moment has to be when he won the GP, and bounced off the ropes. Classic.

I guess most of Mark's classic moments have very little to do with him fighting, let alone winning.

Actually, there's a video or animated GIF out there with a better angle of Coleman's celebration, and he actually flying headbutted the turnbuckle.

Silva-Kondo is apparently off now, due to a leg injury suffered by Silva. I bet if I were to go to the Sherdog MB I would see one hundred "WANDERLEI IS DUCKING KONDO!~" posts.

Rampage v. Arona is probably off as well. Oh well, we finally get to see Almeida fight in PRIDE, along with the return of the Ronin against Daiju Takase, which could be a clinic on grappling. I certainly look forward to it.

PRIDE BUSHIDO VOLUME 3

Date: May 23rd, 2004

Place: Yokohama Arena, Yokohama, Japan

PRIDE BUSHIDO VOLUME 3 was officially announced by Dream Stage Entertainment's offices Today. The 'JAPAN v GRACIE Family' theme is back, as 3 matches include Ryan Gracie, Ralph Gracie and Ricardo Almeida. There are still 2 TBD spots on the rest of the card.

Lineup Subject To Change:

JAPAN VS GRACIE (3 vs 3):

Ikuhisa Minowa vs Ryan Gracie (Renzo Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy)

Takanori Gomi vs Ralph Gracie (Ralph Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy)

Ryo Chonan vs Ricardo Almeida (Renzo Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy)

Daiju Takase vs Carlos Newton

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs Chalid 'Die Faust'

Tamakairiki vs X

Mirko Crocop vs X

Guest Fear

Still looks like a great card to me. I'm probably the only person who doesn't want to see Ricardo Arona fight ANYONE, EVER.

I'm most psyched about Ralph Gracie vs. Takanori Gomi. I love the 155 division, and Gomi is just outstanding. Ralph showed he's still no slouch against Mishima, and I love his fighting spirit. Should be a great fight, I give the edge to Gomi.

OK, so K-1 is on ESPN2 now. Anyone want to indetify what event I'm watching? Why is K-1 considered MMA anyway, its just boxing with kicks from what I've seen...

So what's the deal with the ESPN2 coverage anyway? I'm assuming they're just replaying past events, but before the fights they had a couple guys ringside with ESPN2 mics talking about the matches, that was kind of odd. Again, how recent are these shows. Is it like Showtime with boxing where they show PPV fights like a month later?

I think they have been airing various shows the last few weeks. I am pretty sure they showed footage from the 2001 and 2002 grand prixs over the last week or so. It looks like they have been using that as the filler programming for nights with no NHL or NBA playoff games.

Guest Fear
Because MMA stands for _mixed_ martial arts. K-1 combines (or used to combine, at least) several forms of striking arts.

Still does combine several forms of striking arts. It's just gone from Karate, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do and Kempo, to Boxing, Sumo, and Muay Thai. There's precious few plain ol' Karate and Kickboxers left, they seem to be getting pushed out in favour of over the hill boxers and bloody sumo guys. Blah.

Guest Fear
The only thing MMA about K-1 is the San Shou fights which Cung Lee wins other than that K-1 is just glorified kickboxing.

To repeat what RavishingRickRudo already said, it combines multiple (striking) martial arts. So it is Mixed Martial Arts, by definition.

It's like Lucha Libre and King's Road are both pro-wrestling. Is that a fitting analogy?

What K-1 is not, is Vale Tudo.

I don't consider K1 to be MMA at all. Sure it's mixed, but they're all striking arts. Would you consider Abu Dhabi mma just because it's mixed grappling arts? K1 is kickboxing, Abu Dhabi is submission wrestling, MMA is MMA.

Guest Fear
I don't consider K1 to be MMA at all. Sure it's mixed, but they're all striking arts. Would you consider Abu Dhabi mma just because it's mixed grappling arts? K1 is kickboxing, Abu Dhabi is submission wrestling, MMA is MMA.

By definition, K-1 is Mixed Martial Arts, whether you consider it so or not.

MMA and Vale Tudo are two different names for the same thing. But the fact is, K-1 falls under the definition of one of those names, but not the other. If you want to be specific and refer only to the art of combat where almost anything goes, and not include K-1 or Abu Dhabi, you should refer to Vale Tudo.

*BUMP*

Did anyone see the Randy Couture OTR? I reminded you all, yet I missed it myself.

Apparently UFC has released their golden boy, and stripped him of the title. From another board that remains nameless:

Courtesy of Sherdog.com:

Zuffa, LLC, owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, announced that due to BJ Penn?s reported signing with the K-1 organization, Penn would no longer compete in UFC events. Additionally, Zuffa stripped him of his title.

?I am looking forward to moving on and crowning a champion,? stated UFC president, Dana White.

An announcement will be made soon regarding who will compete for the welterweight championship.

This comes just a few months after BJ Penn submitted former UFC champion Matt Hughes in the first round to grab the title. He had not yet held his first title defense.

I can see the point Zuffa has, because if their champions lose outside their organization, then they'd look bad...

but..

YOU ONLY HAVE 1 FUCKING CHAMPION LEFT YOU DUMB FUCKS! And people don't even see him as the true champ.

Jesus fucking christ.

Guest NCJ

It is an idiotic decision. Why even have belts if you are not going to keep them occuppied. We haven't had a lightweight champ since Pulver, and a Middleweight champ since Bustamante. On top of that the man who holds the Lightheavyweight championship is a sometimes incredible fighter, but he won the belt on a total fluke. Oh and you have a Heavyweight title match coming up were one man has never beaten anyone with any real skills or anywhere near there prime, and a man who is a proven steriod user. Penn was the only current champ they had where there could be no question who was number one. He decisively beat the most dominating champiom in all of MMA by making him tap out in under 3 minutes of the first round. Penn was unquestionably the best in his old weight class and was now the best at 175 until someone beat him. Instead of just keeping their cool and waiting this out they overeacted and lost their only legitamate champion. I mean look at this situation rationally. The worst case scenario is Penn fights Ludwig and losses. Ludwig has competed in the UFC before, and has stated on more than one occasion that he would love to fight for them again as soon as his schedule is open from kickboxing. If Ludwig wins I am sure that the UFC could bring him in and build him as the only man who has beaten B.J. Penn and Jens Pulver. You instantly have a great rematch opprotunity between the two, and a chance for negotiating with Pulver for rematches with Ludwig and Penn. If Penn wins you instanly make him even more credible as the best lightweight in the world because he beat the man who knocked out the only man to ever beat him. You can still negotiate a rematch with Pulver because Penn wants revenge for his only loss, and Pulver wants revenge for his teammate Matt Hughes. Now you have pissed off one of the best Welterweight and lightweight in the world in Penn, probably upset his teacher Charuto Verisimo who is probably the hotest Welterweight in the world right now, and could really throw a wrench in their plans(assuming Dana has any) if he beats Hughes next month he coul;d cement a claim of being the best welterweight in the world after having back to back wins over Hughes and Carlos Newton, and have created an even better reason for B.J. to continue to push his Rumble on the Rocks event as direct competion with the UFC. They have a chance to be a serious threat, especially with the proposed Frank Shamrock vs Caesar Gracie matchup that is going to be on ppv in August. Just the names alone could get them a major deal in the future. The UFC totally dropped the ball on this one.

Guest Fear

Great post, NCJ.

I don't get how Dana White seems so intent on portraying the UFC as this great boxing alternative, yet won't allow his champions to compete elsewhere (when boxing champs fight in multiple organisations).

Guest NCJ

Penn chocked out Ludwig in round one. So much for him losing. The UFC were total idiots on this one.

Penn chocked out Ludwig in round one. So much for him losing. The UFC were total idiots on this one.

Why would anyone pick Ludwig? He's totally one-dimensional, and the only reason he beat Pulver was because Pulver was cocky and wanted to trade. He has good enough wrestling skills that he should have taken the fight to the ground and finished him there.

Guest NCJ

I agree with everything you just said, but one of the biggest arguments the UFC tries to rely on is what happens if our champion goes to another promotion and losses.

I agree with everything you just said, but one of the biggest arguments the UFC tries to rely on is what happens if our champion goes to another promotion and losses.

My post wasn't really about the UFC being idiots but rather that EVERYONE was picking Ludwig to win. I guess they saw "K-1" thought "striking" and totally ignored that this was an MMA card. The fact is that Ludwig's chances to win were so much higher after the UFC dropped Penn, because people thought that since the UFC was afraid of Penn losing, that he probably WOULD lose. Common sense was thrown out sez I. Everyone has a chance, but this had just gotten ridiculous.

Regarding the UFC, I believe that they should have kept Penn, because win or lose it would make them look classless by dropping him, as it did. Besides, even if they wanted to drop him, at least wait till AFTER the fight. The biggest problem here is the UFC itself however, as they don't understand that their pay towards the fighters is low compared to Japan. Spend money to make money. At UFC 43, Lindland got paid like what, five grand? The best middleweight you have now that Busta had left (Second verse same as the first), and you pay him a lower amount than guys that he's beaten decisively. This reminds me of politics in a way; one group wants to set an example for the guy that leaves, who is the problem, by just cutting him and sending a message to anyone else who wants to do the same. The other group realizes that the underlying problem is deeper and more complicated than that, in that it's the company, since if you spent money in the right place the fighters wouldn't leave, you'd look like a class organization, more guys would come in and you'd probably make more money too. I'll leave it up to you to decide where to stick the "conservative" and "liberal" label on there.

Oh yeah, I hate Bob Sapp, and I like Fujita's warrior spirit. I predicted him to win the fight since I still think Sapp is a joke and would get beat by someone whose within about one hundred pounds (which still isn't close but whatever, he's a joke). All I can say is:

up3_09.jpg

FU-JI-TA! FU-JI-TA! FU-JI-TA!

That's what I'd be chanting anyway. Odds are the Japanese would look at me like I'm an idiot, than follow suit. Hooray for cultural acceptance.

Guest RickyChosyu

Judging from the crickets chirping around here, not many people ordered the PRIDE Bushido 3 show, but I did, and I had a great time watching it. Here's the results from Zach.com with my comments:

Undercard results:

1. Bertrand Amoussou defeated Raou in the 2nd round in 29 seconds by KO.

Didn't air.

2. Katsuhisa Fujii defeated Kim Jin Oh in the 1st round in 2 minutes, 58 seconds with a choke sleeper.

Neither fighter looked very impressive. Pretty much just wild, sloppy brawling with both guys inflicting damage, but a lot of missed shots and zero set-ups or technique. They both gassed out pretty fast after their initial scuffle, then didn't do much until Fujii took it to the ground and had no trouble submiting Jin Oh. Wierd moment when Jin Oh got a yellow card (didn't catch what it was for) and he started playing to the crowd like goofball like he was proud to be getting fined.

3. Emelianenko Alexandre defeated Matt "The Twin Tiger" Foki in the 1st round in 3 minutes, 16 seconds with a choke sleeper.

Foki's fighting style was listed as "Rugby." If that didn't make him seem out of place enough, he seemed totally clueless and couldn't defend himself against Emelianenko's GnP. This was never in doubt.

MAIN CARD

1. Choi Mu Bae (South Korea) defeated Yoshihisa Yamamoto after two rounds by a 3-0 judges' decision. So far, good reviews.

Strange that it got good reviews, because it didn't air.

2. Kazuo Misaki (Pancrase) defeated Jorge Patino "Macaco" after two rounds by a 3-0 judges' decision. Misaki showed good striking skills.

Exciting fight that was mainly fought standing with lots of quick quick quick exchanges between the fighters. I would call it fight of the night had Chonan/Almeida not passed it. They went to the ground a few times and their skills were equally impressive there, again, very fast. Both guys looked great here, but Misaki was landing more shots for most of the fight, including on the ground, and he seemed to have the edge in cardio, too, as he was far more active in the second round. Excellent debut by both fighters, though, and I'd like to see them again.

3. Daiju Takase defeated Carlos Newton by a 2-1 judges' decision. Both fighters got issued warnings (the cards) and it was exactly the kind of fight you would expect from two technical fighters. Stalling at points.

I would expect more from two technical fighters, namely, more attempts to win the match. This was far from Shamrock/Royce; there were several reversals and submisions attempts made by both men, but there was also a good bit of sitting in each other's guards. Their effort was good, but neither made any head way as far as ending the match because neither tried often enough. I also think Newton won this fight as well, as it seemed to me that he made more take downs and more sub attempts. Oh well.

4. Akira Shoji destroyed Tamakariki in the 1st round in 18 seconds by KO.

It's hard not to be happy for Shoji when he gets the opportunity to look like a badass, but honestly, how many Sumo wrestlers have to crash and burn for Japanese fans to stop taking them seriously in MMA? Oh well, it was short, so hey.

5. Kazuhiro Nakamura defeated Chalid "Die Faust" Arrab in the 1st round in 4 minutes, 45 seconds with a cross-arm scissors hold.

Great showing by both guys as Faust's striking was clearly dangerous and Nakamura's ground game is still sharp. His repeated arm bar attempts payed off here, unlike in the snoozer with Dos Caras Jr. where he couldn't quite crank the hold in on four different attempts. Faust was hitting some really damaging look shots, particularly an ax kick/stomp to Nakamura's face while he was lying on his back. Nakamura pulled out the win, though, and stayed focused on the armbar. Good fight.

6. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic defeated Hiromitsu Kanehara after two rounds by a 3-0 judges' decision.

Filipovic made a catcher's mit out of Kanehara's face and dominated the entire fight, but he fought very differently here than we've seen in the past. For one thing, he seemed more hessitant than usual, as there were a few times when he had the opportunity to kick Kanahara's head into the sixth row but didn't. Another strange thing was seeing him get the mount and go for submisions (Key Lock and Yoshida's Front Shoulder Choke thing), both of which Kanehara, even with his brains scrambled, escaped rather easilly.

It was almost as if Filipovic decided that if the countless punches, kicks, and knees weren't going to KO Kanehara, then nothing would, so better to ride out the time for the easy decision. For instance, several times, he used an STO trip to throw Kanehara down, but then just let him get back up. Pretty blatant stalling, that. It was a dissapointing fight, in that regard, as we're so used to Filipovic KOing fighters with ease, but I guess I should give Cro Cop the benafit of the doubt that he was "gun shy" as Hume speculated, thanks to the big loss to Randleman. Kanehara doing his Takayama impression while Cro Cop found new ways to re-arange his face was fun to watch, but the stalling late in the fight, I could have done without.

7. Team Gracie vs. Japan: Ricardo Almeida defeated Ryo Chonan after two rounds by a 3-0 judges' decision.

This was the fight of the night, and a tremendous ground battle. Personally, I think this was pretty even and I would have liked to see them go another five minutes to get a clearer picture, as both were still spruce by the time this ended. Almeida's ground game is fantastic, and Chonan was able to hang with him. Chonan was the better striker in the few standing exchanges they had, but this was a ground war, so he wasn't able to press that advantage. He did, however, get several reversals, mounted punches, and submision attempts. Another great debut fight.

8. Team Gracie vs. Japan: Takanori Gomi KO'd Ralph Gracie in 6 seconds. Ralph went for the tackle, Gomi hit Ralph with a big kick and then just laid the knees into the jaw and head for the win.

After all the talk about how Ralph could end this with one punch, this was just shocking. Ralph actually charged right into a big *knee* which caught him right in the jaw, sending him down to the mat, and from there Gomi just murdered him with the knees.

Add Gomi to the list of really impressive debuts for this show. His celebration after the fight was almost as entertaining as the fight itself.

9. Team Gracie vs. Japan: Ryan Gracie defeated Ikuhisa Minowa by a 2-1 judges' decision after two rounds. Somewhat controversial decision, everyone in agreement that it was not an impressive win. Ryan did a lot of holding in the fight and got warned by the referee about it.

As much as I like him, I don't see why Ryan won this. He did dominate the first round, getting a few good strikes and spending a good fraction of the round going for a rear naked choke, but Minowa tried to reverse him four times, and finally succeeded on the fourth. Contrast that with the second round, where Ryan again got Minowa's back early, got reversed, and then spent the rest of the fight desperately hanging on and making no attempts to reverse or fight back.

Minowa's strategy was to drag Ryan (while in his guard) to the corner and prop his head against the turn buckle, forcing it into an easier possition for him to strike. He had to do this three or four times, as Ryan kept ducking under the rope, forcing the reff to move them back into the center. The strategy was effective, and Ryan was in big trouble by the end, bleeding from the mouth and sucking wind.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Ryan had taken this fight more seriously and worked on his cardio, he would have earned himself the victory. Tonight, however, Ryan's cardio was poor and as a result, Minowa made him his bitch for most of the second round.

Good fight, though, and a really dramatic end to the show, as it went right down to the wire for who won the series. PRIDE seems to be on a role again, with the GP receiving good reviews and this show delivering the goods. Let's hope they keep it up.

The main thing that bugged me about the Cro Cop fight was Mirko forgot that Kanehara is NOT Randleman. But hey, it showed that even people like Cro Cop can get scared and realize "Hey, ANYBODY can hit me hard enough to take me down." Cro Cop, IMO, was trying to prove that he can fight different styles, which he attempted to show with the attempts at a submission. I enjoyed that fight, not just because of the sheer beating that Cop gave Kanehara, but the fact that Kanehara kept coming back. Made me respect the poor guy.

and the Ryan/Minowa fight, I'm hoping, is just a tease for a Gracie Rules rematch. THAT would be the fight to see.

Does anyone know just WHY Ryan and Minowa hate each other so much?