TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

The 2008-2009 NHL Video Games Thread

I got to say, this game is probably the most fun I've had playing an NHL game since NHL 2002, which was more of an arcade game, so I let it slide.

In previous games my biggest complaint was that my goalie would constantly give up cheap goals, and a 1 - 0 game with 2:00 left would end up 5 - 4, or some shit like that. Sure, my goalie doesn't stop everything, but they have a season save percentage of about .910 which is about average, compared to about .840 which I was getting in the previous versions in the series (mind you, this is the first time I've played any of the "Next Gen" versions in the series). I only give up 20 - 25 shots per game, but I am a big defensive nut, so that makes sense to me. The game allows you to work a power play like a power play (cycle the puck, set up one times, take point shots which bodies in front, etc).

Yeah, NHL 08 was a huge leap forward in hockey games, and 09 just improves on that formula with things like stick lifts and one handed dekes while adding online 6 vs. 6 leagues (with I believe 50 players per team- my team has 40ish) complete with stat tracking. It's my favorite sports game ever, and I've played dozens.

Man, this game is pissing me off. I'm 0-3-1 since the All-Star break and have fallen from 4th in the Western Conference to 9th. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm still doing fine in the EASHL, and in my dynasty, I'm winning more than 50% of the faceoffs and getting more shots in most games.

Still, I have gone from 23-12-11 to 23-15-12, being outscored 9-2, including a 3-1 loss to league-worst Ottawa. I even lowered the AI learning slider, and haven't had any luck scoring. It's usually not a problem for me to get goals. Now I can't even support LaBarbera and his <2.00 GAA.

Man, this game is pissing me off. I'm 0-3-1 since the All-Star break and have fallen from 4th in the Western Conference to 9th. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm still doing fine in the EASHL, and in my dynasty, I'm winning more than 50% of the faceoffs and getting more shots in most games.

Still, I have gone from 23-12-11 to 23-15-12, being outscored 9-2, including a 3-1 loss to league-worst Ottawa. I even lowered the AI learning slider, and haven't had any luck scoring. It's usually not a problem for me to get goals. Now I can't even support LaBarbera and his <2.00 GAA.

I've run into this a few times, but I welcome slumping from time to time. I've had some games where I might lose 10 games all year. I had a pretty hot start, but have gone 6-4 over my last 10 games.

I wish I could still play but my Xbox died a month ago. I'm trying to RRD it but have been unsuccessful so far. I don't have the scratch to repair it either so I'm kind of stuck.

I bit the bullet and made my first theme purchase. My digital camera only records 30-odd seconds of video, but here's my quickie "review" of the Kings NHL 09 theme. All 30 NHL teams are available at 150 points.

I just picked this up tonight. Even though they take some getting used to, the new controls (I haven't played a hockey game since....geez...2K3?) are fantastic and Be A Pro is fucking addictive. I'm just starting out on the Baby Broons in Providence but have 1 goal and 2 assists in two games. I like that you get constant feedback from the coach during the game.

I havent even really dipped into the Be A Pro feature. I started one the day I picked it up, but left it alone and played Dynasty instead.

Then again I also use the NHL 94 controls....am I missing out on the true essence of this game?

I've had to input the 3rd jersey code 3 times now. For some reason, it randomly seems to become undone. Grr.

Me too, don't know whats up with that.

I just got this and another 360 yesterday. The one I got for free broke a while ago, and...holy crap, this is going to take some getting used to.

It'll take a few more games before I'm ready to play on Live, but when I'm ready, my tag is Kingof909.

I've barely played head to head online. Most of my timeonline with this game has been spent with the EASHL.

Everyone's going to be busy today because of the Super Bowl, but we can play sometime soon, I'm sure.

After the Super Bowl and The Office I'm probably going to jump on if anyone wants to play. PKIsLive is my gamertag if someone here hasn't added me yet.

I finally finished my first regular season with the Kings. It took me 4 months rather than 3 weeks as in NHL 08, but I have a lot more games now (Fallout owns my soul) and a lot less free time. I finished with 98 points (40-24-18), good for 7th best in the NHL, 4th in the Western Conference, and 2nd in the Pacific Division behind Anaheim. I beat the Sharks in LA in the final game to take the 4 seed and home ice in my opening round playoff series against San Jose.

The thing that sucks is that, while I started my season on All-Star and switched to Pro after I went into a funk, I still can't score on All-Star like I used to. I switched back and went 1-3-1. I lose by 1 goal almost every time, but it's always 1-0 or 2-1. I can score online on the All-Star difficulty. It's so frustrating.