TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smartly Pretty

The Concert Thread

Czech, you sent me 14 Kt. God by Panther a while back, and I saw them last night. It was just two guys, and it was an AWESOME show. Dude gave me a shirt for $7.

Many concerts in the coming months

Feist

The Siren Festival (Stepehen Malkmus, Broken Social Scene, Times New Viking, Ra Ra Riot, Islands, Dodos, Jaguar Love and more)

KRS-One (maybe)

The Faint w/ Shy Child & Jaguar Love

Liars

Santogold

Jamie Lidell

MGMT

Conor Oberst and The Mystic Valley Band

GZA

Spiritualized (maybe)

Hot Chip (maybe)

The Mars Volta

A lot of these shows are free, so that's really great for my pocket obviously.

Broken Social is no more. You'll likely be seeing Kevin Drew + random members but in terms of performing as a full ensemble they've got that on the back burner.

It's being billed as BSS. I went to the Kevin Drew tour and most of the guys were playing. They still play a shit load of BSS songs, so it was still the Broken Social Scene to me even without some members. Also, since Brendan Canning's album is coming out, this show will prob be centered around his material more than Drew's.

The Siren Festival (Stepehen Malkmus, Broken Social Scene, Times New Viking,Ra Ra Riot, Islands, Dodos, Jaguar Love and more)

Ra Ra Riot! They put in a ridiculously good show. Have fun at that one.

What, your son? Who takes their dad with them to a show? That's fuckin' weird, man.

Keep in mind he is only 14 so to get to the concert which is an hour away, he'll need a ride. It was more of a "Hey dad, me and my 5 friends need a ride to this concert so you are going" type of request. I'll mainly be going for the beer, food, women and contact highs.

Enjoy $6 beers!

On the home front, nothing going on concert wise in Southern California this summer. Maybe next year.

I skipped the $6 beers and went with the free Monsters!! Monster had a roped off area set up where you had to wait like 30 minutes in line and when you finally got in you got a free can of Monster. They expected people to have on and then leave but since I was only there to be a ride I stayed in there in the cool shade and drank free Monsters and Monster Icees all day. It was uncharacteristically hot in San Francisco that day so I figure I spent about 4 straight hours in there drinking Monsters with a pretty good view of one of the stages. After the 3rd hour they ran out of Monsters but I stayed for the shade. It was funny because once they ran out of drinks they still wouldn't let anyone into the roped off area yet they never told those alreay inside to leave.

Liars

Liars were supposed to open for Radiohead when I saw them last month and, - judging by various songs of theirs I have heard - I would have been looking forward to that. Unfortunately they were replaced by some lame chick singer who sets abysmal, melodramatic poetry to mindlessly stupid, inept electronic music and goes by the pseudonym of "Bats for Lashes".

Oh God, Bats for Lashes?

Fuuuuuuck, I'm sorry man. At least you got to see Radiohead, right?

On a similar note, when I saw The Rolling Stones, I was super excited because The Strokes opened for them in the East Coast, and The White Stripes opened in the Midwest. Who did we get?

Sheryl Crow.

ROCK!!!!!!

Just found out the Liars/Fuck Buttons and the Santogold shows are on the same day. They're both free but I'm torn on which one to go to. I'll probably head to Santogold because I see that as being more fun, but I will probably change my mind a bunch of times until then. Shit.

Went and saw Beck last Monday at the Southampton Guildhall, which is only about an 800ish capacity venue. It was part of a two date warm up before Beck played a festival over here. It was lots of fun seeing him in what is quite an intimate venue, as I've only seen him at festivals previously. The set was a good range of stuff with I think only 3 songs taken from the forthcoming album. Only track that I was dissapointed wasn't played was 'Sexx Laws' otherwise more or less all the stuff you'd expect got played. Even threw in his cover of 'Everyone's Gotta Learn Sometime' from the Eternal Sunshine soundtrack which was a nice suprise.

Support came from Yeasayer, who I missed as I didn't know they were supporting and was in the pub. Damn.

Yeah, she's like an Indian Cat Power. But fuuuuuuck is she not good.

Oh, certainly. Bollocks and Tripe, all of it. But still, I might be inclined to humor her to get into her pants. Men lie all the time for ass, why should it be any different with indie girls?

Dude, that's how I started liking a good majority of bands with girl singers.

"Is she hot? Yes?! I'm sold."

And Indie girls can see through the bullshit, but will probably do it anyway because they're sooooo in control of the situation. Yeah. Let them believe that.

Speaking of girl singers who are ugly, I did a google image search for "Peaches" and Peaches herself was the predominant result, moreso than the fruit.

promo02-peaches.jpg

I find her insanely attractive because of her personality, not unlike Winehouse... but she's nowhere near as ugly as that. More enjoyable albums too.

If a female artist is ugly I find it slightly more difficult to really get behind the music. I mean, I can still enjoy it, but it better be really good. On the flipside, I find I can overlook certain flaws in a song if it's sung by a pretty girl. Am I a disgusting chauvinist pig?

While I don't think it really affects anything either way, I just listen to what I want, an ugly girl who is a musician actually earns added respect from me. Her unashamed ugliness is something of a turnon even. This here is basically the entire crux of my Winehouse fascination. She's a talented singer, and was a decent looking girl, who totally and utterly destroyed herself, not giving a fuck at all. That's beautiful.

Diamanda Galas is like that too, probably the best female singer I know, one of the best singers period, and she's just not attractive at all.

B000003Z6B.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

She almost looks like Winehouse there.

I still find her amazingly sexy.

The chick from Cars Can Be Blue is ugly as shit, but I really like Cars Can Be Blue.

l_5b8270c55857e14981e4c59efb8f8c02.jpg

Jenkies! She's not what I would consider to be ugly.

Diamanda Galas is like that too, probably the best female singer I know, one of the best singers period, and she's just not attractive at all.

That's not Winehouse?!

God, fucking doppelganger.

That's not Winehouse?!

God, fucking doppelganger.

Winehouse is a clone of her. Galas has been around for YEARS, man. There's actually one photo of her I've seen that made her look attractive (amazingly, my introduction to her all of two months ago), from the cover of an issue of Terrorizer, that doesn't make her look half bad. Still not great, but much better than that photo there. Lemme find it...

bigt168.jpg

Much better full-sized than it is here.

And you want ugly...

1wendyo.jpg

I give you the greatest performer of the old-school punk scene, and one of the most unique female vocalists in rock history, Wendy O Williams.