TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smartly Pretty

The Concert Thread

I'm seeing Radiohead tomorrow night. I wish I had more to say.

No band you shall ever see at any other point in your lifetime shall ever have so much as a fighting chance of matching the performance that Radiohead shall inevitably give. Take it from one who knows.

No band you shall ever see at any other point in your lifetime shall ever have so much as a fighting chance of matching the performance that Radiohead shall inevitably give. Take it from one who knows.

I don't know. I've seen Radiohead and I can think of a few bands that I've seen that have put on a better show...

Kings of Leon, The Strokes, Oasis, The Black Crowes, The Raconteurs... all come to mind.

There's seriously a band called The Devil Wears Prada?

Unfortunately. What's worse is that they are actually worse than the movie.

No band you shall ever see at any other point in your lifetime shall ever have so much as a fighting chance of matching the performance that Radiohead shall inevitably give

I HAD NEVER SEEN A SHOOTING STAR BEFORE. 25 years of rotations, passes through comets' paths, and travel, and to my memory I had never witnessed burning debris scratch across the night sky. Radiohead were hunched over their instruments. Thom Yorke slowly beat on a grand piano, singing, eyes closed, into his microphone like he was trying to kiss around a big nose. Colin Greenwood tapped patiently on a double bass, waiting for his cue. White pearls of arena light swam over their faces. A lazy disco light spilled artificial constellations inside the aluminum cove of the makeshift stage. The metal skeleton of the stage ate one end of Florence's Piazza Santa Croce, on the steps of the Santa Croce Cathedral. Michelangelo's bones and cobblestone laid beneath. I stared entranced, soaking in Radiohead's new material, chiseling each sound into the best functioning parts of my brain which would be the only sound system for the material for months.

The butterscotch lamps along the walls of the tight city square bled upward into the cobalt sky, which seemed as strikingly artificial and perfect as a wizard's cap. The staccato piano chords ascended repeatedly. "Black eyed angels swam at me," Yorke sang like his dying words. "There was nothing to fear, nothing to hide." The trained critical part of me marked the similarity to Coltrane's "Ole." The human part of me wept in awe.

I finally attended a Radiohead concert. I don't think that I need to tell you how awesome they are. I would say that this was the best big concert that I've ever attended.

In Rainbows

They performed every song from In Rainbows, which was really the final push that I needed for that one. I have a new appreciation for their new material. "Bodysnatchers" and "Weird Fishes" were two of my favorite performances of the evening.

Hail to the Thief

"The Gloaming"

Amnesiac

"Pyramid Song"

"You and Whose Army" - My favorite song from Amnesiac. Thom was at his best here. I was extremely pleased.

Kid A

"Everything in its Right Place" - This was almost a house version of the song, with some bass and drum mixed in.

"How to Disappear Completely"

"The National Anthem"

"Idioteque" - While I consider this to be overplayed, it was one of their best performances of the night.

"Morning Bell" - My favorite version of this song.

OK Computer

"Exit Music (For a Film)"

"Climbing Up the Walls"

"Karma Police" - Ten thousand plus people singing along with this one. Just surreal.

The Bends

"Just" - My favorite performance of the night. Really, just excited to hear this one live.

"Street Spirit (Fade Out)"

Pablo Honey

Nothing.

I'd be willing to bet money that a couple of songs have escaped my mind. They played a two-hour set and at no time did the band grow tired and mail it in. As previously stated, the best big concert that I've ever attended.

Unfortunately, no. A good friend of mine saw them a couple of months ago and they closed with "Paranoid Android," but I wasn't so lucky. I also really wanted to hear "Electioneering" and "In Limbo," but they can't play everything.

There's seriously a band called The Devil Wears Prada?

Yep, and they weren't too good either (we were waiting for Relient K to take the opposite stage).

I don't know. I've seen Radiohead and I can think of a few bands that I've seen that have put on a better show...

Kings of Leon, The Strokes, Oasis, The Black Crowes, The Raconteurs... all come to mind.

All of those bands? Really?

Concert was awesome. Grizzlybear opened (they were ok), and Radiohead were great. That out of the way, are there any concerts that don't have the "token Tool T-Shirt" guy? Seriously, every concert I've been to has that guy.

Also, there was a really obnoxious dude who looked kinda like Marvin behind me. I think he was on E.

So my band played a show this past Saturday and got FUCKED by the guy putting it on.

The first band, Joint Damage (rapcore, more like when Anthrax and Public Enemy did "Bring The Noise" than, say, E-Town Concrete), got 45 minutes, and took full advantage of it. They also brought the biggest (and drunkest) crowd.

We were on second. It took us 10 minutes to set up. We owned the show for the 20-25 minutes we played. Right before our fifth tune, "E.K.F.O.," the guy doing sound (who's a friend of my band's singer) was told to tell us that it was our last song. We blast it out, the promoter comes over to tell us we took too long setting up (it took 10 minutes, whereas every other band took at least 20), and to get the fuck off the stage. We had to practically hold our drummer back from throwing his entire kit at this guy (who is a fucking douche). Needless to say, we're never playing a gig this guy sets up again.

Third band, Escape 2 Everything, are utter shit. Think Breaking Benjamin...and remove any semblance of talent. Yeah. Horrible, atrocious shit. They get...**drum roll**...CLOSE TO A FUCKING HOUR!!! 3 people showed up to see them. Everybody else was for us and Joint Damage (JD brought about 20 people, and we brought a dozen or so). Any word on their set taking too long? Nope. And they didn't even have the common courtesy to check out the other bands on the bill: they were all in their practice space before somebody had to find them to get them to set up.

Crimson Bile closes, puts on a decent show. Similar to Joint Damage, but more like 311. They get...CLOSE TO A FUCKING HOUR!!! Yeah, they headlined, but to cut our set short when we were told we'd get 45 minutes, and not even tell us before we play? Completely fucking lame.

So yeah...small rant. Playing KC's in Pawtucket again next weekend, looks to be a decent show.

Also, there was a really obnoxious dude

Yes, I think that he just travels from one Radiohead concert to another. At the Glasgow one he stood next to me and introduced himself by saying 'Johnny Greenwood mate, fuckin' legend', and later went on to inform me that if I were to ever learn to play any of their songs on the guitar that I would feel 'like Slash... fucking aweeeesome'.

All of those bands? Really?

Yep. I just don't get the fuss over Radiohead. I mean, I really do enjoy them, otherwise I wouldn't have gone to see them, but the shows that I mentioned blew me away more so than Radiohead ever has.

No Mfn, The Strokes did not give a better performance than Radiohead. edit: and I don't even dislike The Strokes that much.

Radiohead put on a great show. No fucking way the Strokes could put on a better one. No way.

Also, "National Anthem" is quite the experience live.

No Mfn, The Strokes did not give a better performance than Radiohead. edit: and I don't even dislike The Strokes that much.

I mean it's all a matter of personal opinion. I'm not trying to knock Radiohead by saying that I enjoyed the performances of other bands more.

Eitherway, Radiohead are a fanfuckingtastic band. I'm glad you guys enjoyed their shows.

Saw Gnarls Barkley with Hercules and A Love Affair opening tonight. Great show, probably one of the better ones I've seen this year. Though Cee-Lo seemed a bit pissed towards the end for some reason. But yeah both bands were fucking tight.

Saw Gnarls Barkley with Hercules and A Love Affair opening tonight. Great show, probably one of the better ones I've seen this year. Though Cee-Lo seemed a bit pissed towards the end for some reason. But yeah both bands were fucking tight.

Dude, you need to get the Hercules & Love Affair Album-it's really good.

Yay. You may find some 300-pound bleached-blonde piece of trailer trash who will suck your dick for meth.

...or you could just go to Wal-Mart and find the same thing.

Neigh is what a horse does. You're thinking of "nay".

Does that mean no?

Also, your period should come before the closing quotation mark.

Only going by U.S. grammar rules. I'm a citizen of the world.

But yeah, it means no. Waste of time. I mean, they have some decent songs, but it's 2008.

Well, it's not going to hurt you. I'm very choosy about live music, but if you want to go, go ahead. I'm just saying it's going to be halfway between sad and boring. Being drunk will help, I'm sure.

Fun fact: I will rarely if ever turn down a free concert. I can't think of very many bands I'd turn down for free. At the very least, concerts always make for fun people watching.

Of course, this line of thinking led me to attending a Taste of Chaos tour stop two years ago.

But yeah, I'd see Poison for free.