TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smartly Pretty

The Concert Thread

I won tickets to a Shinedown concert off of the radio. Not really a fan of theirs, but it's free so whatever. I'm buying Springsteen tickets when they go on sale for the Greensboro, NC show tomorrow. I passed on buying Morrissey tickets for when he comes to Durham in a month or so; should have probably snagged some.

Bonnaroo turned out a hell of a lineup. With Phish doing two shows (not something I care about, but plenty of others do), along with the Boss, NIN, and Beastie Boys, they have five headlining shows for three headline spots. And I can finally make up for missing David Byrne's show back in 2004.

Just got a 3 day pass to the Harvest of Hope festival in March. It's mostly a bunch of shitty punk bands, buuuuut the Virgins, Broken Social Scene, Girl Talk, the GZA and HEALTH are going to be there, so it should be fun.

I don't know if you guys realized this, but shitty punk bands have hysterical names. "Underground Railroad to Candyland" being my favorite. Also "Ninja Gun" and the recently added "Religious as Fuck". I'm not sure if I should make an effort to see a band called "Religious as Fuck" or if I should stay very very far away from them.

EDIT: the Virgins and Broken Social Scene just canceled :( but the Mountain Goats got added so that's cool.

NIN/Jane's tour dates, via consequenceofsound

05/24 - George, WA @ Sasquatch! Music Festival

05/25 - Ridgefield, WA @ Clark County Amphitheater

05/28 - Phoenix, AZ @ Cricket Wireless Pavilion

05/29 - Albuquerque, NM @ Journal Pavilion

05/31 - Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre

06/02 - Dallas, TX @ Superpages.com Center

06/03 - Houston, TX @ Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion

06/04 - Atlanta, GA @ Lakewood Amphitheatre

06/07 - W. Palm Beach, FL @ Cruzan Amphitheatre

06/08 - Tampa, FL @ Ford Amphitheatre

06/10 - Charlotte, NC @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

06/11 - Bristow, VA @ Nissan Pavilion

06/13 - Manchester, TN @ Bonnaroo Music Festival (NIN Only)

06/15 - St. Louis, MO @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

06/17 - East Troy, WI @ Alpine Valley Music Theatre

06/18 - Noblesville, IN @ Verizon Wireless Music Center

06/20 - Detroit, MI @ DTE Energy Music Theatre

06/21 - Cuyahoga Fall, OH @ Blossom Music Center

06/23 - Toronto, ON @ Molson Amphitheater

06/24 - Mansfield, MA @ Comcast Center

06/26 - Wantaugh, NY @ Jones Beach Theater

06/27 - Camden, NJ @ Susquehanna Bank Center

07/01 - Mountain View, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre

07/03 - Chula Vista, CA @ Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre

07/04 - Irvine, CA @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

Saw Fountains of Wayne unplugged last night in Boston. It was a really good show, lots of songs from the first two albums and all four of the new songs they played sounded good but I was slightly disappointed. I assumed that being unplugged, they would change a lot of the arrangements around but there wasn't really much different from when I saw them play two years agoish except they played more ballads and turned "Stacy's Mom" into sort of a slow lounge song (they even joked that it was the version that they'd play at the Brookline Ramada in two years). I don't want to complain too much since it was a good show, just wasn't what I was expecting. Didn't help their case that quite a few people thought the opener The Everyday Visuals (local group I believe) blew them off the stage. I don't know if I'd say that but they were quite good.

It was but I enjoyed it, one of the highlights of the set. Enjoyed it far more than I would have if they played a straightforward version (though that's not saying much)

First night of Harvest of Hope was tonight. Due to some confusion with getting a ride, I didn't actually get there until 8, and the show ended at 11, but holy fuck Girl Talk is one hell of a party. There was some girl dancing on stage that I think I may have fallen in love with. I brought my 8 year old sister because she gets in for free, but also gets a 3 day pass wristband, so I now have an extra wristband, and in the process she asked me to buy her a Girl Talk t-shirt. Highly irresponsible of me, but I have a very hip sister. She was furious at the PETA booth when they demanded that a booth giving away rabbits as prizes be shut down. How cool of her.

Mountain Goats and HEALTH tomorrow. w00t.

I'm finally getting around to writing about the show my band played on Thursday, 2/26.

EXCYDE:

We opened the show, primarily due to being the least known band on the bill. Apparently, we blew a lot of people away, even if we fudged the first song of the set a tiny bit (our drummer did a roll that happens during a faster part of the song one measure early, but continued it one measure longer, so it all worked out in some lame mathcore way), and ended up making a few fans. Awesome set, best one we've ever played, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed that the only 2 originals we didn't play were the ones I wrote (which, as it turn out, are the two heaviest and have the more complex riffs of our material). Whatever. One song we didn't play because we butchered it the last time we played it at a non-house party show, and the other because it could have offended some of the people in the audience. Not my call on either front, but I'm going to do my best to get everybody else on board to playing at least one of them the next time we get screwed out of a 35-minute set into a 25-minute one.

GODDESS OF MY RELIGION:

Decent enough band, and the singer (this chick Noelle) is pretty solid and on the sexy side to boot. Didn't fit the rest of the show at all, though. A heavier, more complex version of Flyleaf, but too pop-ish for the show. Killed the momentum we started by opening.

WRATH OF MAN:

Amazing. Think of Skinless meets Leprosy-era Death, and you get WoM. Singer (their third) has a brutal growl, and both guitarists are more intense than they let on when just talking to them. Easily a band I'm looking forward to playing with again, especially since they told us they'd try to get us booked on the next few shows they have if there's room.

THY WILL BE DONE:

Formerly Kobalt, and based out of Providence. A more technical version of Chimaira, really. Solid set, but the guys seemed less interested in talking to the other band than they did just having a few beers and loading/unloading their gear when not playing. Solid set. Their manager looks like Nikki Sixx, which is hilarious because I'm almost positive he works as a manager for Hot Topic.

ACARO:

Headliners, and well-deserving. It was Chris Harrell's (singer) and Allen Benatar's (drummer) birthday, which is how the show got put together. We got on because we practice down the hall from them, and our singer (Rob) is the one who introduced Chris to the band when they were looking for a singer. Tight melodeath/metalcore, with excellent guitar work from both axemen (Felipe and Chris), and tight basslines from Met Al (who cracks me and Tony, the other guitarist of Excyde, up by being the only black man we've ever seen wearing a Burzum shirt). Allen's fills were tight as hell, too, and his double-kick is pretty brutal.

Overall, a great night.

The quote function isn't working for me, so I'll just respond anyways.

KKC: When I saw FoW, they pretty much rocked the shit. Medium sized venue, not more than 50 people there though (on a tuesday), but seriously played a great show.

Smartly: Did you see Broken Social Scene? One of the best bands I've ever seen live. Fucking incredible.

Snuff: More information on Dinosaur Jr. please.

My last concert was Annuals, who always put on a great show. I got to talk to a couple of the guys in the band, and they're all way fucking cool. My next show is Say Hi To Your Mom. I've seen them before, but they're definitely worth the $10 to see them again.

Fountains of Wayne still rocked the shit...but just in a slightly quieter way. Like I said, being unplugged didn't really change the set all that much. It was nice though to go to a show and not have your ears ringing for days after. I saw them do a free show a couple years ago in Copley Square Park in Boston, which was also was really good (probably a bit better than the acoustic show).

I'm undecided over to whether or not, I'm going to see OK Go next Friday at a new all ages club in Portland. I like them well enough and I'm sure they put on a fun live show but it's my first night back home on spring break and I'm not sure if I want to spend $16 on a band I only kind of like. Graham Parker on the 28th is also a possibility. The club he's playing at is super small, couldn't fit more than 200. Wonder if he's still good live.

BSS canceled when Langerado went under, which sucked, but I'm not too upset because they were replaced by the Mountain Goats. "The Best Ever Death Metal Band Out of Denton" under the moonlight tonight was a fucking hell of a time. Hail Satan. Deerhunter ruled tonight too, and HEALTH. Oh, fuck, Tilly and the Wall too. I don't even like Tilly and they rocked the shit.

Final day of HOH was today, and I was only there for a little bit because the last two days had me tired, but I saw my homies Ra Ra Riot and we talked for a bit and I helped sell t-shirts with them. I also caught Kool Keith and got crunk with Diplo. All in all, great weekend. All you other Northern Floridians (and fuck, with the all the camping space, Southern Floridians too) missed out.

Rothbury announced their lineup. I have no idea why they hired Bob Dylan to headline a night when a better Bob is right there in state.

Saw David Byrne last night, it was pretty much one of the best gigs I've been too. I must have been one of the youngest people there at 21.

He was chattier than I imagined he would be, having a joke with the audience. Where it was a completely seated audience and everyone was pretty quiet you could hear anything that was being shouted and he ran with some of the stuff which was pretty funny.

Whole band was dressed all in white which worked really well with the lighting. They were using lots of LED Colourblasts to light things which worked really well. He also had 3 dancers that performed choreographed stuff during about half of the songs.

The tour he's doing at the moment he's doing is just material that he's done in conjunction with Eno, so it was a real treat getting to hear so much Talking Heads stuff performed as well as the excellence that is the two albums they did together.

One of the backing singers arrived late as she'd been detained at immigration. She just waltzed onto the stage about halfway through the performance.

I don't remember the exact set list but I remember that he opened with 'Strange Overtones' from the latest album and closed with 'Burning Down the House' on the second encore.

Anyway, lots of fun was had. Glad I finally got to see him and was totally blown away by just how perfect the whole thing was.