TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBlaze

2008 Summer Olympics

Guest Tzar Lysergic
They should spray blood everywhere instead.

Right now I've got the battle of sub-saharan welterweights.

Now, I could go on for pages about how the olympic boxing scoring system is the most crooked, inaccurate, silly, ridiculous, blatantly WRONG thing in the history of the silliest, most ridiculous crooked innacurate sport ever, but I won't. I'm just watching this guy from Cameroon thump this other asshole. These guys have been goin at it for four rounds, and they scored 19 total punches so far. 19.

It really is superfucked. I was watching some yesterday and was confused as shit by the scoring.

What's worse is how crooked, inaccurate, silly, ridiculous, and blatantly wrong the scoring/judging was in boxing before they went to the 3 man "button-press" system.

jonesr.gif

Si what?

Anyone watching any gymnastics? I don't care who wins at all since all judged sports are a sham, but this chinese girl totally ate shit on the bars earlier. I love, and I mean love watching these fragile abused teenagers totally embarass themselves in front of the world at their moment to shine.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

If you're watching the Khedafi Djelkir (FRA)/Paul Fleming (AUS) fight right now, it's a treat. If not, make it a point to do so later. Best fight of the games by FAR.

After weeks of bluster, world record holder Alain Bernard had a chance to back up his bravado in the pool this morning in Beijing. Instead, the Frenchman collapsed in the final meters of the 4x100-meter freestyle relay, enabling the United States to win one of the most thrilling swimming races in Olympic history. Did Bernard choke? Yes, but that's not the only reason he lost.

When he dove into the pool as the anchor of France's 4x100-meter relay team, Bernard had a .60 second lead over American Jason Lezak. Even though the 32-year old Lezak is one of the best sprint freestylers in the world, the .60 lead held by Bernard should have been insurmountable. Bernard held the world record in the event. A world record holder with a sizable lead... you do the math. So what happened?

There were two main factors in the American's come-from-behind victory. First, Jason Lezak swam the fastest relay leg of all-time. This is not to be overlooked or underappreciated. Without Lezak (and, for that matter, Michael Phelps, Garett Weber-Gale and Cullen Jones), Bernard would have been so far ahead he couldn't have given up the lead even if he was Greg Norman.

Secondly, Bernard swam a poor mental race. Call it whatever you'd like, but it had all the hallmarks of a choke. It's impossible to know whether Bernard was nervous or overconfident during the race, but it's safe to say he was foolish. After swimming the fastest first 50 meters of any of the 32 competitors, Bernard came back with one of the slowest. By the 70-meter mark, he had slowed considerably. At that point, Lezak began catching up, and Bernard made mistake #2. Instead of keeping a steady stroke, Bernard increased his turnover, which caused him to break his rhythm and led to the tightness that Rowdy Gaines described on NBC's broadcast.

To his credit, Bernard was gracious in defeat, clapping when the Americans received their gold medals and shaking the hand of Michael Phelps after the ceremony. Or maybe that was just his way of surrendering. The French are pretty good at that one too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/b...rth_place_medal

Hilarious.

That scene at 4:01 or so where the "USA" graphic pops up, with Phelps and Weber-Gale celebrating by the pool, Lezak celebrating in the pool and Cullen Jones in the bottom portion of the screen - goddamn, that was great.

okay pbone, okay...that's how the announcers pronounced it so that's what I went by.

That US 400m relay win was amazing...I, too, actually found myself shouting and cheering for the win. Eat it, frenchies!

original.jpg

Spanish Basketball team doing that chinese eye thing for an ad campaign back in Spain. Awesome.

Watching Weightlifting on NBCOlympics.com right now, good stuff, 185kg (407lbs) clean and jerk.

Jesus, the rest of the teams might as well just climb out of the pool right now and save their energy in this relay.

We Americans sure do love swimming don't we

Coming Summer 2010- Michael Phelps is...AQUAMAN

The US Women's Gymnastics Team is imploding here at the end. Sacramone fell off the beam AND on the floor and Liukin and Johnson both stepped out of bounds on the floor as well. They'll probably still get the silver, but it has to be disappointing considering that if they'd stayed upright and in bounds they would have had a legit chance at winning the gold.

I know it's been said previously, but watching this awards ceremony, there's no way the 'women' on the Chinese team are 16. Maybe one or two of them, but as for the rest, yea right. Even standing on the gold medal podium, they're still shorter then the other two teams. Which I know is a trait of a lot of Chinese, but even if the face they look mighty young.

Not that I think it should matter, but if that's the rule, that's the rule. Although they supposedly are 16. If they are really....they sure do mature slowly in China.

Man, it was hard to watch that interview with Sacramone. She looked like she was ready to completely break down at any second.

The girl anchor person on the studio was 100% right about the interview and the chinchilla line was classic.

The team captain is probably 16 or 17, but she's listed as being 20. The tallest one looks like she's about 14 or 15. The one that was standing second from the right looks like she's around that age as well, but the 3 babyfaced ones are likely somewhere between 11 and 13. As someone who has seen Chinese acrobats perform in Cirque Du Soleil and the New Shanghai Circus the majority of the girls on their team look to be about the same size, shape and build as girls billed as being between the ages of 8 and 14 on those other programs.