TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheFranchise

All-Time Football (Soccer) Team Draft

And my pick at last.

PSP1.jpg

The other, alongside Maradona, people say is the best player of all time. I need a goalscorer in my side, and if this man can do anything (and he can do everything) he can score goals.

The most famous and recognisable player in the history of the game, and not a bad player to boot..

Pele

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/world_s...beckenbauer.jpg

He's Dominant in the air, composed on the ground and can help the side break into attack with a strong run from defense.

Creater of the Sweeper position, he captained Germany to the 74 World Cup and 72 European Championships and Bayern to 3 European Cups from 74-76, twice european player of the year and became a pretty good manager when he retired as well.

Franz Beckenbauer

Pele himself once declared this man "the greatest footballer in the world". Just as famous off the pitch as he was on it. Twice he led his club to the league title in 1965 and 1967 and a winner of the UEFA European Cup in 1968.

Flair, pace, balance and he could set you up with either foot just as easily as he could score himself. The best player ever to don the #7 shirt for Manchester United.

George-Best--C11795549.jpeg

George Best

This is what I knew would happen, something I looked forward to, people will consider a perfect eleven without the likes of Cantona and Best.. but the thing is, Best and Cantona really COULD get in any all time XI.

Great pick.

Johan Cruyff

r84165_245822.jpg

Three time Euro player of the year and voted European player of the century. One the best attacking midfielders of all time, and a central figure in the "total football" movement. Happy to have him.

The stuff about Cantona being the best French player makes me laugh, because really, this man is the best French player, and quite possibly, the best European attacker in history.

Two time world footballer of the year, one time best manager in the world (1991), three time in a row European footballer of the year. Just look at Euro 1984 to see the impact of an all-time great. Nine goals in five games, captained his country to the trophy.

Now he's UEFA President.

Michel Platini.

platini.jpg

Hmm.. I don't know now, Platini (my next pick by the way, was going to play just off Pele), Cantona and an unnamed player all have great claims to be the best.

Unfortunately, Cantona didn't play in a succesful France side, Platini's era was a much better side to play in.

But like I said, it was my next pick, so its a great one.

They've had some quality over the years, albeit not so much in defence.

That back four in 98 was amazing, made up for having Stéphane Guivarc'h up front on his own.

YES.

I was wondering when he'd go, there was two goalkeepers only I had my mind on.

If he's still there in the next round, then i'm taking the other.

That back four in 98 was amazing, made up for having Stéphane Guivarc'h up front on his own.

They weren't amazing per se when you compare them to midfields of Platini, Cantona, *unpicked* and such, but still good point.

Guivarc'h was my CM legend that year.

On behalf of Mystery Eskimo

Arguably the greatest English captain of all time, and the man that led England to win the 1966 World Cup.

He won a total of 108 caps for the England team, which at the time of his international retirement in 1973 was a national record. Although this record was later broken by *unpicked*, Moore remains the most capped outfield player ever to play for England.

bobby%20moore.jpg

So, in my own opinion, Mystery Eskimo drafts the best defender i've ever seen, and the first man in my back four if I had the chance.

Bobby Moore

I'm not going to try.. but dont worry about picking more modern players, this is just for fun, it's the team you'd like to pick.

That being said, Beckham's hardly a poor pick, i've never seen a better crosser of the ball.

YES.

I was wondering when he'd go, there was two goalkeepers only I had my mind on.

If he's still there in the next round, then i'm taking the other.

They weren't amazing per se when you compare them to midfields of Platini, Cantona, *unpicked* and such, but still good point.

Guivarc'h was my CM legend that year.

Who went on to sign for Newcastle United, after being the top scorer in the French leagues for 3 seasons in a row or so. Had a real poor World Cup, came to the Toon, had one season and left having not scored a goal. The tradition of ruining great European players continued.

Definately, Premier League Years was on earlier and it had that season on, Beckham was probably the best crosser of the ball for the next five years.

Hell, he took us to the 2002 World Cup all on his own, and not just because of that free kick.

*sigh*

i was gonna pick Beckham circa 2002 world Cup..

But I'll take ronaldinho instead

i've seen him do some amazing things in the limited soccer ive seen

Round #1 Pick #13 Overall #13

Peter Beardsley

Naff hair amazing feet

BEARDSLEY_Peter_19960811_SF_L.jpg

Newcastle United Legend and former England International Peter Beardsley. There's not many people who get to play for Newcastle United, Liverpool, Everton and Manchester United in their careers (oh and Carlise) and become a hero at all clubs. Has scored some of the most breath taking goals during the premierleagues early years, and some say single handedly handed Andy Cole his record breaking 42 goals in a single season achievement.

I once had the honor of meeting Peter Beardsley when he was buying a game for his Daughter while I was working at GAME. He had all the time in the world to talk to me, and that made me week. He is my footballing hero, and the reason I wanted to play the game as a kid. Here's to ya, Sir Peter of Beardsley!

Always up for a great laugh too:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Round #2 Pick #1 Overall #14

I apologies to TheFranchise here as I've totally stolen his pick...

Gordon Banks

2nd Best Hands in Football after the 'Hand of God'.

gordon_banks470_470x352.jpg

Position: Goalkeeper

World Cups: 1966 (Winner), 1970

Widely considered the greatest goalkeeper ever, Banks conceded only one goal -- a Eusebio penalty in the semi-final -- before the 1966 World Cup final, which England won. He will be forever remembered for a mind-blowing save off a header from Pele in the 1970 World Cup.

'That save from Pele's header was the best I ever made. I didn't have any idea how famous it would become. To start with, I didn't even realise I'd made it at all. I heard Pele shout 'goal' as he headed it, which was followed by a massive, almost deafening, roar. Even though I'd got a hand to it, I thought he must have scored,' Banks later said.

4411.jpg