TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Chinese Democracy Leaks

Thanks for the names of the songs.

With this and Carter 3, I'm gonna have some good shit to listen to for the summer.

You actually like the Carter 3??!?!?

so when do I get my free Dr. Pepper?

It still hasn't been "officially" released yet.

GUNS N' ROSES 'Chinese Democracy' Leaker Gets FBI Visit - June 24, 2008

RollingStone.com reports: Last week, the Internet was rocked when California blogger Kevin Skwerl posted nine newly leaked "Chinese Democracy" tracks, including three previously unheard songs allegedly from GUNS N' ROSES' long-awaited album. Skwerl — who used to work in the distribution department of Universal Music and is now a Web designer — runs the blog elsewhere, and says he received the tracks from "an anonymous online source."

Yesterday Skwerl was surprised to find himself face to face with two FBI agents who paid a visit to his day job. "It was kind of an ambush," Skwerl tells Rolling Stone. "When I came back from lunch they were waiting in the lobby for me. It's a little creepy they know where I work." Two young FBI officers, who Skwerl describes as "Mulder and Scully types," questioned him for 15 minutes about where he got the tracks and made plans to visit his house at 7:00 a.m. this morning.

I wasn’t sure if they were going to come by with a warrant and trash the place, like in the movies,” he says. “It was nothing like that.” The FBI officials wanted to see the original files, but Skwerl erased them last week per instructions from Axl Rose’s attorneys. Skwerl ultimately gave them second-hand files that are now widely available on the Internet.

Last week Skwerl’s blog crashed from the traffic flood that resulted from his controversial posting. “My host contacts me and says, ‘What the fuck did you do?’” I go, “Uhhhh. I posted some music.” He goes, “What exactly did you post?” I go, “Uhhhh. [Meek voice] New Guns n’ Roses.” He goes, “Motherfucker.” Before long his cell phone rang with an unfamiliar 323 number. “It was a really cool guy from the Gn’R camp that was a middle man between someone who was very angry and me. He was trying to reach out and see if I’d go without a fight, which is more or less what I did.”

Skwerl agreed to take them down, but a cease-and-desist letter soon followed threatening possible legal action. “I’m not so worried about that,” Skwerl says. “It’s a legal grey area since it wasn’t for download, it wasn’t a finished product. We aren’t sure who owns the recordings. I feel like I might survive this.”

Axl's gonna beat the fuck out of that kid. Haha.

And, yes, The Carter 3 is pretty fucking amazing. But I don't wanna talk about Wayne in a GNR thread.

This is weird. I had an ex that dated "Skwerl" right after me. I didn't know him personally, but it's still strange to me to see him come out of the woodwork after all these years for his 15 minutes of net fame.

You're not alone. I had a girlfriend who had cut her teeth on Skwerl. Couldn't never get to her, on account of him. This Skwerl was a chicken farmer, the sort of guy who brought his work home with him, the sort of guy who once he chickened, he never checked out. I couldn't compete with that.

It was originally called Oklahoma and was written the day after the Oklahoma city bombing, when he was sitting in the courtroom being sued by his ex's.

""Another song, called ''Oklahoma'' - heard tonight only as an instrumental - was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly. ''I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing,'' Rose remembers with a wince. ''We had a break, and I'm sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing - it was like, 'Forgive me, people, I'm having trouble taking this seriously.' It's just ironic that we're sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I'm sitting there with, she don't care. Obliterating me is their goal.''"

There's nothing to support "Rhiad" being "Oklahoma." The reason why it's been reported so is that when they first played the song in Vegas in 2001, the people writing the first reports on the show mistook something Axl sang in the song as "Oklahoma." That's where the confusion comes from.

I finished listening to this the other day, and it is not very good. If it didn't have the 14 years of hype behind it, it would be an okay album, but add the hype to it, and it's not a very good album. The original leaked album wasn't much better. At this rate, I'm hoping that it never gets officially gets released.

I'm with Jaxl when he says he thinks of Axl as a" home sports team". Axl Rose is one of the best songwriters in the last 30 years and has overcome a lot of personal adversity. He has a lot of potential and it's nice to see that it's not going to go to waste. I expect to hear a lot of new songs from Axl Rose and his brand in the upcoming years and see what direction it takes. I really like the way he sounds on "Madagascar." Someone compared his sound on the song to Tom Waits.

On a related note, I think Canadian Dragon and a lot of other people have it wrong when they dismiss the album because it's been so long coming. It's an excellent album.

Guest The Elements of Style
Axl Rose is one of the best songwriters in the last 30 years and has overcome a lot of personal adversity. He has a lot of potential and it's nice to see that it's not going to go to waste.

If you've been in the business for well over twenty years, can you still be talked about as "having a lot of potential"? Maybe it's because I'm so used to hearing the word in sports discussions when talking about prospects (once again, oyu know that place where sports intersects with music? Axl's there!) but doesn't sound right as a description of someone you're calling one of the best songwriters of the last thirty years (with which I would heartily disagree). At some point you shift from fulfilling potential to fulfilling expectations. Surely Axl Rose has done that. Do Stephen Malkmus, John Darnielle, Tom Waits, Jeff Tweedy, Michael Stipe, Bono, Thom Yorke, Morrissey, et al., have potential?

I'm with Jaxl when he says he thinks of Axl as a" home sports team". Axl Rose is one of the best songwriters in the last 30 years and has overcome a lot of personal adversity. He has a lot of potential and it's nice to see that it's not going to go to waste. I expect to hear a lot of new songs from Axl Rose and his brand in the upcoming years and see what direction it takes. I really like the way he sounds on "Madagascar." Someone compared his sound on the song to Tom Waits.

On a related note, I think Canadian Dragon and a lot of other people have it wrong when they dismiss the album because it's been so long coming. It's an excellent album.

I'm not dismissing it, I just don't think it's very good, and I like their previous work a lot. Hype behind an album has a lot to do with what people think of them all the time, but I'm not basing my opinion of the album solely on the hype. I just don't feel it's very good, it's not the worst thing I have ever heard, but it's far from the best. I downloaded the "leaked" version from a couple of years ago, and this has a few better songs then that one, but overall it's just not worth the wait. I think if it ever comes out though, it's going to make huge bank based on the wait. People have been waiting for it and want it already, good or bad.

Axl Rose is one of the best songwriters in the last 30 years and has overcome a lot of personal adversity. He has a lot of potential and it's nice to see that it's not going to go to waste.

If you've been in the business for well over twenty years, can you still be talked about as "having a lot of potential"? Maybe it's because I'm so used to hearing the word in sports discussions when talking about prospects (once again, oyu know that place where sports intersects with music? Axl's there!) but doesn't sound right as a description of someone you're calling one of the best songwriters of the last thirty years (with which I would heartily disagree). At some point you shift from fulfilling potential to fulfilling expectations. Surely Axl Rose has done that. Do Stephen Malkmus, John Darnielle, Tom Waits, Jeff Tweedy, Michael Stipe, Bono, Thom Yorke, Morrissey, et al., have potential?

Yes, I would say that they do have potential. As long as there is music to be made and they're all still alive, these people have the potential to make great music. When you take into account his songwriting skills and meticulous craftsmanship in building a song, Axl does have potential to do great things. It's impossible to fulfill the expectations. Obviously, Axl Rose's focus is on making the best album he can make. I'm sure there's a lot of reasons why it's taken so long to come to fruition. One of those reasons would surely be artistic integrity rather than fulfilling expectations or appeasing the public.

Well, artistic integrity (whatever that actually means in this case) kind of goes out the window as mattering if the product isn't very good.

Also, given the tremendous number of musicians that have been involved in this project, then booted and replaced, I think "desperate perfectionism" is a more likely cause than any sort of artistic integrity.

Well, artistic integrity (whatever that actually means in this case) kind of goes out the window as mattering if the product isn't very good.

Also, given the tremendous number of musicians that have been involved in this project, then booted and replaced, I think "desperate perfectionism" is a more likely cause than any sort of artistic integrity.

Yeah, that Shaq man.

The chorus on that latest track is pretty great. I kind of like the industrial feel to it, but although I've always liked Buckethead some of the shred stuff in there seems kind of pointless. It seems even a bit more just show-offy than his usual stuff and doesn't really help the song all that much.

Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs

Kevin Cogill, 27, of Culver City, who admitted to allowing public access to the songs on the Antiquiet blog, was arrested today on suspicion of violating federal copyright laws.

By Scott Glover, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

10:02 AM PDT, August 27, 2008

A man accused of posting nine previously unreleased songs by the rock band Guns N' Roses on a website where they could be accessed by the public was arrested at his home early today on suspicion of violating federal copyright laws, authorities said.

Kevin Cogill, 27, is accused of posting the songs, which were being prepared for commercial release, on the Internet blog Antiquiet in June, according to an arrest affidavit. The site received so much traffic after the songs were posted that it crashed, the affidavit states.

Cogill admitted to posting the songs when he was questioned by an FBI agent, according to the affidavit. He was arrested at his home in Culver City this morning and is expected to appear in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles later today, said Assistant U.S. Atty. Craig Missakian.

[email protected]

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gu...0,6914718.story

------------------------

“Chinese Democracy” Leaker Arrested on Suspicion of Violating Federal Copyright Law

8/27/08, 2:30 pm EST

Remember back in June when those nine possibly Chinese Democracy-bound Guns N’ Roses songs leaked? At the time, the man who admitted leaking them, Antiquiet blogger Kevin Skwerl, told Rock Daily “If legal proceedings come my way, I’ll face them 100 percent. I’m not afraid of that. I did what I did, and I’ll face the music if I have to” after a meeting with the FBI. Skwerl (real name Kevin Colger) will face the law, as he was arrested this morning at his Culver City, California home for suspicion of violating federal copyright laws. According to the FBI, Colger admitted to posting the songs when questioned. Colger is set to appear at the U.S. District Court today, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Craig Missakian.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...-copyright-law/