TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cran Da Maniac

Desert Island Draft, Comics Edition

41+OpzUN0qL._SS500_.jpg

Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson Omnibus

Miller's noir epic is amazing. This hardcover collects his whole run on Daredevil, which does a great job of showing how Daredevil's live is forever changed by the reintroduction and death of Elektra.

Just for the record I already believe that I have last place secured!

Ok for my first pick I'm picking the first storyline from one of my favorite series ever:

new_graphic_novel1522.jpg

Y: The Last Man Vol. 1 Unmaned

In the summer of 2002, a plague of unknown origin destroyed every last sperm, fetus, and fully developed mammal with they Y chromosome....with the apparent exception of one young man and his male pet. This "gendercide" instantaneously exterminated 48% of the global population, or approximately 2.9 billion men.

Now aided by the mysterious Agent 355, the last human male Yorick Brown must contend with dangerous extremists, a hoped-for reunion with a girlfriend on the other side of the globe, and the search for exactly why he's the only man to survive.

And for the first pick of round two I'll go with my favorite Batman story ever.

LongHalloween.jpg

Taking place during Batman's early days of crime fighting, this collection tells the story of a mysterious killer who murders his prey only on holidays. Working with District Attorney Harvey Dent and Lieutenant James Gordon, Batman races against the calendar as he tries to discover who Holiday is before he claims his next victim each month. A mystery that has the reader continually guessing the identity of the killer, this story also ties into the events that transform Harvey Dent into Two-Face.

Just for the record I already believe that I have last place secured!

Maybe I should pick only Howard Mackie series from here on out just to take that away from you...

If everybody agrees with this ruling I'll let it stand, if not then I'll keep it as is. The X-men Omnibus does start one story, but does not end it. If somebody wants to pick that story, then I'll allow it.

Yeah...I just realized my error. Its nuts that they didn't include the last 5 or so issues of the Dark Phoenix bit, but oh well. I'm content with the book as is.

ultimates-hc1.jpg

I'm going to retake Mark Millar and Brian Hitch's reinterpretation of Marvel's greatest heroes, The Ultimates, V1. It's edgy and a perfect example of the realistic widescreen style in modern comics.

Stevie, I edited the main page to reflect the change. You may want to change your original pick post so that it doesn't confuse the other posters though.

Also, what's everybody's opinions on the Omnibus selections? Should we keep allowing them to be selected or not?

Pretty much a case-by-case, I think. The problem with the X-Men phonebooks is, like I said, there are several different, distinct, and individually TPB-worthy stories in the 30 or so issues. Steviekick's choice covers a lot of that. You've got the All-New All Different X-Men (GS#1, XM#94-100), Phoenix Saga (101-108), Savage Land (109-116), Japan/Alpha Flight (117-121), Proteus (125-128), and the Dark Phoenix Saga (129-137). That's a shitload of stuff

I removed my previous post.

Starvenger is right. Some of the omnibus'es can get confusing, because the 1960s-1970s ones usually collect single issue stories and the 1980s ones collect epic ongoing interweaved stories.

Wait, which one was the Hydra? :)

Since Steviekick changed his pick, I would like to take the first X-Men set I mentioned above. I believe that it was the first collected edition I ever got for comics, and it holds some nostalgia for me. My copy is actually signed by Claremont, but sadly I never got to meet Dave Cockrum.

Giantsize1.jpg

So that's Giant-Sized X-Men #1, X-Men 94-100.

Just to let you people know, if you haven't noticed, but I've been trying to keep the first page updated with who's up, and if anybody has makeup picks to make.

But don't feel like that should preclude anybody from sending PM's. I may not be too timely with the updates and don't want anybody to miss a pick for that reason.

LLGC missed his pick, so I'm making mine

FantasticFourOmnibusVol2HC.jpg

Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol 2

I'll be willing to change this pick if it causes too much controversy. But this is the essence of Kirby and Lee's FF. Galactus, Wakanda and a ton of other stories make this a top pick.

With my next pick I choose a ground break story by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli.

Batman Year One Contains the issues 404-407.

This tells the story of Batman and Jim Gordon's career beginning in Gotham City.

37-1.jpg

Crisis1.png

Infinite Crisis

I think it's a debated topic, some people enjoy it, and some people don't and think it's a retread of a storyline DC spent 20 years trying to change. I was one of those that enjoyed it, and it was the story that pretty much got me back into comics. And I do love me some Superboy on Superboy violence.

BatmanHush.jpg

Batman: Hush

Part of my love for the story has to do with Jim Lee's art, which I find to be amazing. I also like Hush's origin story, who's essentially the anti-Bruce Wayne.

For my next pick I choose a series that has a big effect on any post 'KC" DC issue since....

Kingdome Come

kingdom%20come%201%20GIF.gif

I love this story because Ross and Waid finally show how badass Captain Marvel can be. He stand toe-to-tow with Superman in a memorable fight.

The series has planted the seeds for what maybe in store for the DC universe in the future. The story has been so influential it has had elements of its future pop in recent DC stories. For proof luck at JLA where Arsenal becomes Red Arrow, JSA where Cyclone appears and the current "Gog" storyline.

This series also push Alex Ross into the stratosphere with his artwork, which makes me jealous because I could only dream of drawing like he does.