TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Fuck the sing-a-long basketball announcer routine act that Kennedy has going right now. He showed his true potential in the Taker feud and the build to his title match with Batista at the Rumble a couple of years ago.

If anything, that push he had in 06 against the Taker is what proved to me he wasn't any good. I liked Kennedy's act in OVW in 05 and was glad he was on Smackdown in late 05, but that injury just killed him. He was gone for months, and I didn't miss him one bit, then I knew they were going to overpush him when he came back, and they did. They actually made him cut real promos that went on for 10 minutes, and it proved that he had no mic skills, and since he had that injury, he got worse in the ring too. Ever since that lame push in 06, I have never wanted to see him again.

CM Punk's going to be at a WWE block party before the house show near me.

I was thinking of asking for an autograph, what should I get him to sign? I don't have a T-shirt or any of his merchandise yet.

I was thinking of asking for an autograph, what should I get him to sign? I don't have a T-shirt or any of his merchandise yet.

Get him to sign your copy of ROH Unscripted II.

I vouch for a Pepsi can. And then eBay that can.

Good idea, though I might keep it for myself actually.

Newsbites from today's Observer.....

Regarding the Mike Adamle decision, it was ultimately a Vince call. Vince said he sees traits in Adamle similar to those of Eric Bischoff. Well, they were both lousy wrestling announcers but I think the similarity may end there. Vince thinks they both project smarmy. Nobody ever projected smarmy better than Bischoff, but I’ve never seen that in Adamle. I see him more as an older guy brought into Alice in Wonderland and being completely out of his element. Vince also believes that Adamle has “incredible verbal abilities” but hasn’t shown it because he never learned to talk in the pro wrestling language, and that’s why he’s been frustrated. Vince enjoyed directing him as a performer, which is a far cry from going nuts on him as an announcer. Time will tell. The reaction by most in the company was apparently not positive on the decision, with some thinking Vince is trying to justify a series of bad decisions related to Adamle, although others backing Vince parrot that Adamle is untapped talent. The decision was one of those secrets that nobody, including those in the ring, were aware of until Shane McMahon announced it. Like a lot of the people at home, as the show progressed, more and more people were thinking Jim Ross and most were shocked.

The new writers initiative is a part of the company’s attempt to position themselves as part of Hollywood as another method of upgrading the company image. It dates back to Kristen Prouty’s hiring to head Celebrity Relations, with her big move getting Kevin Federline to do the angle with Cena on Raw in 2006. Her role is to make sure everything any celebrity needs is taken care of when they are working with the company, to pamper them and treat them like royalty, and something she’s been successful at. She was responsible for putting together all the wwe.com celebrity videos which is where Freddie Prinze Jr. got hooked up with them. Her success in that role has put her as part of the recruiting team for new writers. Vince wants the writing team to be “well balanced” (his term) as he wants the perception in the TV industry that WWE hires top level TV writers. But, the head writers, Brian Gewirtz, Ed Koskey and Michael Hayes, don’t fit into that mold. Gewirtz was an assistant writer at MTV before coming to WWE nearly a decade ago and got the right recommendations shortly after Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara left. The company is now spending real money, like a major TV show, to get Hollywood writers, not people who may have written a TV show, but someone like Michael Pavone who is something of a minor name, and Prize Jr.

Prinze Jr. is slated to be working under Michael Hayes on Smackdown. His hiring was really not a major topic of discussion among people at the tapings as compared to the mainstream press it got.

Holly, who has been with the company for the better part of 14 years, is on the endangered species list. He’s no longer being used, and at 45, he may not be brought back. The feeling is that someone like Undertaker would have to go to bat for him one more time. Holly has had a rep for being like a Japanese veteran, in that he works very stiff with newcomers (like the Matt Cappotelli incident on “Tough Enough”) with the old-school mentality that they have to prove they can survive in a tough profession. He did that with Brock Lesnar, sandbagging him on a power move causing Lesnar to have to overpower him and it ended up with Holly breaking his neck, although they did work a short program out of it when Holly returned. His role would have been to be in a tag team feuding with DiBiase & Rhodes, but the feeling was he wouldn’t get them over in the right way (he’d lose but make them look bad) and his only role would be to make the newer pushed guys look better than they are. Reportedly Holly’s promo work to further the Rhodes turn program was done, but they decided against airing it because the interviews weren’t good enough. Vince is said to be generally indifferent on Holly, in that he’s kept him around like Funaki forever, but they don’t have any plans to ever do anything with him.

Dos Caras Jr. and El Sicodelico Jr., the nephews of Mil Mascaras, are back in play. Ovaciones in Mexico reported both had signed three-year contracts, although at this writing, that was not the case. At press time, Sicodelico Jr. said he was looking over the contract. WWE officials believe he is close to signing and were considering it a formality. Caras Jr. had first claimed he wasn’t going to come because he didn’t want to spend several months in developmental. In Mexico, several newspapers and wrestling magazines reported Caras Jr. hasn’t signed but is 95% sure he will sign and start in October, after the CMLL tour of Spain. Caras Jr. was on TV on 8/4 saying he hasn’t signed and the offer wasn’t to his liking. Neither is charismatic nor good talkers and that can work against them, nor are either top level workers or great high fliers which a lot of fans would expect about the Mexican wrestlers, although WWE itself doesn’t favor a high flying style. As noted before, Caras Jr. was a multi-time national Greco-Roman wrestling champion who was a mid-level MMA fighter (best known for doing a match in Japan wearing a mask and getting his head kicked off by Mirko Cro Cop) and from a famous wrestling family. To me, Caras Jr., even though he’s a main eventer in Mexico, has always been cold to me as far as charisma goes. His stardom is more based on that he’s a shooter, tall and the family name and technically is fine. The shooting ability, height (because he won’t be in a company where almost everyone is a lot shorter than he is) and Mascaras family will mean nothing in the U.S., but I can see if John Laurinaitis is looking at still photos instead of tapes, he’s the guy you pick when trying to recruit a new star. Super Luchas reported that both would start in Florida Championship Wrestling. There is a feeling they need to be de-programmed of the Lucha mentality and learn American style (Caras Jr. has worked Japan, which isn’t the same thing, but closer and understands how to work with Americans and Sicodelico Jr. has worked Texas for years) and both are earmarked for Smackdown to be the new Hispanic stars. They have better physiques than all but a few of the Mexican wrestlers and the mentality is you find people who look like TV stars and teach them to wrestle, as opposed to finding people who can wrestle but don’t look like TV stars. Sicodelico Jr. also claims a Texas home address and frequently worked indies in San Antonio, so wouldn’t have the Visa issues and expenses that Caras Jr. will have that could delay a start date. Will be interesting to see, with the success of Mysterio, what the WWE’s attitude will be regarding them wearing masks.

There also seems to be a new booking philosophy to almost a TNA Russo style, where everything is built around constant swerves. We had our third Edge and Vickie split in a month on Smackdown, so all the praise about how they weren’t turning this into a Kurt & Karen deal is for naught. Instead of building programs to peak interest in matches, it feels like they lead the audience into thinking something will happen and do the opposite at the end of the show. Time will tell. So far it has been entertaining, but surprises are always good until the product becomes overrun with them. When things always change without a base of consistency, you lose the emotional caring about the product, which isn’t good in the long run.

The problem with the Edge/Vickie swerves is that neither would be worth a crap as a face right now, so there is no point in turning either. I am amazed that WWE doesn't seem to grasp the obvious way to end this angle: Edge either loses a match to someone with Vickie's job at stake, then he cuts a bitter promo dumping her and demanding a divorce.....or Vickie finally abuses her power so much that Vince (or Shane, Steph, Linda, etc) steps in and fires her on the spot. Both would end with Edge cutting the vicious promo.

2 Pepsi cans. One for you to keep and the other to sell. Let me know how he is. I haven't met him yet, but I keep hearing different things about him (that he's a nice guy or he's an asshole) so I hope you'll be able to confirm that for me.

:headbang:

Punk's pretty straightforward so if you catch him on a bad day, he's going to be an asshole. I've had experiences where he was cool, and other times where he was a dick

I wouldn't try to talk about ROH or his independent past. Like Bob said, you don't know which Punk will show up. If it's a WWE event, he'll probably be on his best behavior. I've interacted with him twice and got both sides.

Good idea, though I might keep it for myself actually.

Bonus points if you can find a Can of Pepsi Edge and get him to write in Straight before it..

Im also jealous, we have a house show here on Sunday and theres no block party.. :(

We have the actual PPV here, and I haven't heard about a block party here.

Here's what it says for me:

WWE RAW Presents

THE WILDWOOD BLOCK PARTY

THIS Friday, August 8 ◊ 4:00pm - 7:00PM

You won't want to miss the WWE Block Party in Wildwood!

Meet WWE World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk and Women's Champion Mickie James. Get a chance to win exclusive WWE prizes, get WWE tattoos, get a chance to dunk the emcee in a dunk tank challenge, bring your best WWE pose for the WWE Superstar "Pose" contest and more!

Plus, at 8:00pm, WWE RAW presents The SummerSlam Tour at the Wildwoods Convention Center, featuring John Cena,

CM Punk, Kane, JBL, Chris Jericho and many more!

Tickets are on sale now online at ticketmaster.com,

charge-by-phone at 1-800-736-1420, or at the

A.C. Board Walk and Boscov's locations.

It doesn't give a specific location for it though. Is it at the Convention Center or somewhere else?

We have the actual PPV here, and I haven't heard about a block party here.

Here's what it says for me:

WWE RAW Presents

THE WILDWOOD BLOCK PARTY

THIS Friday, August 8 ◊ 4:00pm - 7:00PM

You won't want to miss the WWE Block Party in Wildwood!

Meet WWE World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk and Women's Champion Mickie James. Get a chance to win exclusive WWE prizes, get WWE tattoos, get a chance to dunk the emcee in a dunk tank challenge, bring your best WWE pose for the WWE Superstar "Pose" contest and more!

Plus, at 8:00pm, WWE RAW presents The SummerSlam Tour at the Wildwoods Convention Center, featuring John Cena,

CM Punk, Kane, JBL, Chris Jericho and many more!

Tickets are on sale now online at ticketmaster.com,

charge-by-phone at 1-800-736-1420, or at the

A.C. Board Walk and Boscov's locations.

It doesn't give a specific location for it though. Is it at the Convention Center or somewhere else?

I would assume so.

I bought a copy of The Best of CM Punk today at the mall, so maybe I'll bring that for Punk to sign.

Which version?

Uhm...how do I tell?

On the cover it says "World Wrestling Network & ROH Present: The Best of CM PUNK" It also has the Big Vision Entertainment logo on it.

I bought a copy of The Best of CM Punk today at the mall, so maybe I'll bring that for Punk to sign.

Which version?

Uhm...how do I tell?

On the cover it says "World Wrestling Network & ROH Present: The Best of CM PUNK" It also has the Big Vision Entertainment logo on it.

ROH released 3 volumes of Best of Punk as well as a FIP Best Of Punk called "Declarations".

Which version?

Uhm...how do I tell?

I have this one. It's actually pretty bad, except for a few matches. It's not really a best of, just a look at Punk during a specific time in FIP. The IWA MS highlights and bonus ROH matches are good features though.