TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

A Magneto spin-off movie would be a hard sell, since the mainstream will think its weird that there is a movie of a villain. I think Sony is planning on doing a Venom spinoff movie, but I have no idea how they could do it, unless they ignore Spider-Man 3.

I don't know. I just can't see Magneto's story being interesting enough to carry an entire movie. Is it going to be Schindler's List with a Mutant? ;)

The Wolverine movie is gonna suck. Call it trolling, but I have this awful fear that Wolvie can't carry a movie on his own. He works great against a team of "normal" mutants, but stick him alone....will it hold up? A loner can't be a good loner unless he has a group to seperate himself from. So I expect it to suck.

I'm sure it will bank because 13 year olds, and 30 year olds remembering their childhood, think Wolvie is still cool, but it will still suck.

The Wolverine movie is gonna suck. Call it trolling, but I have this awful fear that Wolvie can't carry a movie on his own. He works great against a team of "normal" mutants, but stick him alone....will it hold up? A loner can't be a good loner unless he has a group to seperate himself from. So I expect it to suck.

I'm sure it will bank because 13 year olds, and 30 year olds remembering their childhood, think Wolvie is still cool, but it will still suck.

I can only assume you haven't seen the first two X-Men movies and Hugh Jackman rockin' the shit in them.

Otherwise I have no clue why you'd make such a comment.

Yeah, I have no clue what your talking about. Wolverine is a very interesting character that can carry a movie on his own. I was thrilled when I heard about this movie being made.

I recently finished a lenghty read of Avengers on CD Rom and for the most part it was terrible. But the movie adaptations of the Hulk and Iron Man leading up the Avengers movie is being done so well that I just hate the fact that the X Men trilogy was so poorly done. X2 was the great but the first and third films were so bad that I have little interest in them attempting another run. The use of Cyclops alone was just ridiculous. But this Wolverine movie looks very good and they are actually focusing on a plot.

Maybe this will generate enough steam for a fourth film with Mardsen, Jansen, Ben Foster, Shawn Ashmore and somebody to play Beast so we can re-live an original X Men story or even X Factor against Apocalypse since it takes place after Jean's return and could get into Archangel.

It just sucks that with so many potential stories we got Liberty island and mutants with baseball bats and rifles.

I was never a big Cyclops fan, but I agree that they really mishandled his character...hell he was gone for over half of X2 and well, we know about his fate in X3. Cyclops may be an uptight douche, but he's a very vital and integral part of the X-Men and shouldn't be overshadowed by anyone other than Wolverine.

Well, I too was never a Cyclops fan, and I was glad they didn't focus on his character that much, since the animated series of X-Men sucked because it had Cyclops as the main focus, and it was nothing but soap opera crap.

I dont know, that trailer looked pretty fucking awesome. Liev Schrieber is such a great casting choice for Sabretooth its ridiculous. That shot of him in the fangs smiling, ripped straight from the comic books, and he's a pretty decent actor too. It feels more like "X2" than X3 ever did.

You know that Wolverine has a (2) successful comic series on his own, right? I'm not sure, but I think the Wolverine comics sell better than the X-Men comics.

EDIT: I'm in a bad mood this morning. Anyway, I think you're wrong. The end.

A loner can't be a good loner unless he has a group to seperate himself from.

You may not be aware of the story here, so lemme explain a little: Wolverine joins the Weapon X program, a clandestine government project working with mutants.

The Weapon X program? That's a group. Of mutants. For him to separate himself from when he inevitably flips the fuck out.

The problem with Cyclops is that he's too boring.

I don't want an X-Men 4, since I don't think it will be any better than X-Men 3, and I just don't think the series has momentum anymore because of that movie. I know they have the throwaway thing in the credits proving Prof. X is alive, and they tease that Magneto still has powers, but there just isn't any demand for another one. I'm much more interested in these Wolverine/Magneto spinoff movies rather than another X-Men movie.

Agreed. No need for X4. That franchise is fucked beyond repair. I am psyched for Wolverine's own flick.. but not so much for Magneto.

I think the X-Men franchise can be fixed if FOX can bring back Singer seeing how Ratner did a horrible job with the last film. Besides, there's more villains they can use: The White Queen, Sauron, Mr. Sinister, APOCALYPSE.

Yeah, I think X-Men is fine with the right mind behind it. That team is so rich in characters and stories that even removing so many iconic ones doesn't kill it. And without bringing anyone back from the dead they still have Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Iceman, Kitty Pryde, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Angel there, plus a "powerless" Rogue who probably isn't powerless if they don't want her to be considering the Magneto hint in the film. Even if you cut out Wolvie, Storm, Nightcrawler, Rogue, and Beast because of the actors you still have a solid core with plenty of characters to add (plus a Gambit introduction in Wolverine, although depending on the timeline of that film he may be out of the mix).

But I think it makes some sense for them to just sort of splinter the franchise off. Wolverine (and presumably Magneto) have the X-Men tags. You need not do "X-Men 4" when you could just spread the world out like it did in the comics. A movie based on Beast, Iceman, and Angel trying to put together the pieces of the Jean, Cyclops, and Xavier story from X3 title "Uncanny X-Men"? A side story of Rogue and Gambit? A Kitty, Colossus, and Nightcrawler led "New X-Men"? I don't know. I'm sure some or all of those ideas suck to some but the point is that even playing off the classic X-Men stories there's still a lot of side stories they could do. And that's saying nothing for what they could just write on their own.

Supposedly, according to SuperHeroHype.com, they're trying to get a "Young X-Men" movie made.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=7159

News

Young X-Men Get Gossip Girl Scribe?

Source: BlackBook, Sp@wn, Max_Rebo

May 2, 2008

In some odd Friday evening news, BlackBook magazine talked to Josh Schwartz, the writer and executive producer of shows like "The O.C.," "Gossip Girl" and "Chuck" (soon to be getting his own comic book!) and found out that he'd taken over the job of writing a screenplay for a Young X-Men movie (that title still hasn't been confirmed) which originally was to be written by Zack Penn. What's even odder than that juicy news is that BlackBook then took the story down, even though you can still see the original post at the link below. Thanks to the wonders of the internet, we were able to grab some of the original text which had Schwartz saying some rather unflattering remarks about his superhero peers and predecessors:

Something he can talk about, however, is news that he will pen the screenplay for the next installment of X-Men, a prequel of sorts. "I'm very well aware that I'll be bludgeoned by purists, but I love its mythology, and it comes with a pretty hefty paycheck." Of the project, he beams with excitement about the opportunity to involve lesser known X-Men characters who haven't yet been portrayed on film. It will center on teenage characters at the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning. "It's not like I'm adding new characters like Toaster Head, or anything like that." Despite his enthusiam, he's cautious, given the double-edged sword inherent in the seemingly inexhaustible renaissance of the genre. "The Hulk looks like it's going to be terrible. And why does he look like he's fighting against the monster from Cloverfield? I mean, with Transformers, it's not like fans were going to come back saying, 'You used the wrong car.' This, however, is a different story." Of his predecessors and their successes (or failures), he says, "Brett Ratner didn't have a lot of credibility going in to the third X-Men movie, but I think Bryan Singer [who directed the first two installments] got a free pass on Superman Returns because of his work on X-Men."

I think it should be like in the 90s.

So they can have like 782 different "X-Men brand" movies on the go with various characters appearing in multiple films and every few years they can have a big crossover where you have to watch all of the movies to get the whole story.

And there should be way more characters that have "shooting huge fucking guns" as their mutant powers.

And Rob Liefeld should direct.

The problem with Cyclops is that he's too boring.

He's the Police Chief to Logan's Harry Callahan. The audience is naturally going to dislike him. There isn't really much to do with the character. X-Men is so rich in the number of characters that it is better just to leave him dead, I think.

... Nah, not really.

That's my problem with Renolds. He's never been in a good movie and he's not even been good in said bad films. So why do people like him? The guy is just a poor mans Jason Lee.

I didn't think Smokin' Aces was that bad for what it was, and I think Reynolds was pretty good in it.

Final Scene

Smokin Aces was weird. It was ok, but there was one awesome scene where Ray Liota and another hitman were shooting each other a bunch of times in the elevater, until they shot all the lights out, and its complete darkness. That was badass. I did think it was funny that Affleck was hyped as being the main star of that movie, but was only in the first 15 minutes.

Nice trailer. Glad to see after promising, and then pulling him from the past 2 X-Men films, Gambit is finally making an appearance. I'm looking forward to this one!

It looks okay. From the looks of things Reynolds wont be in the Deadpool outfit which kinda sucks but I can see why they haven't.

Reynolds hasn't been in an oscar level movie or anything, but he's been in plenty of passable to decent movies.

I think the trailer looked pretty badass.

I think the X-Men franchise can be fixed if FOX can bring back Singer seeing how Ratner did a horrible job with the last film. Besides, there's more villains they can use: The White Queen, Sauron, Mr. Sinister, APOCALYPSE.

Interesting note: I viewed the trailer on Marvel.com, and it was placed under a little blurb. In that blurb, they indicated that Emma Frost was in it (probably a cameo of her younger self; I spotted a young Storm as well). That could potentially set her up as a future villian.

What does Gambit have to do with Wolverine's origin? I can't remember.. or is this not canon from the comics?

Nope; they know that the original comic Team X (the un-official codename for Wolverine's spy team) won't get people into theaters, which is why we are getting Gambit and Deadpool tossed into the mix.

In particular, Gambit's probably there to make up for the way they omitted him from the main X-Men films (since God forbid the movies have Gambit/Storm as a major couple, as Chris Claremont originally intended, before Jim Lee and Scott Lobdell decided to sweep Storm/Gambit under the rug in favor of shoving Rogue/Gambit down fans throats).

Yeah, I can't wait for this.

Does anyone know what's next for these movies? Like, I heard they're gonna do a Magneto flick, but are there plans to do any more movies in the X-Men universe, or are they waiting to see how these movies do first?