TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Yeah, I've pretty much heard from a lot of critics that characters like Deadpool, Gambit, and Blob are included for no real reason other than just to finally make a film appearance. I did like the one T.V. ad I saw though, where Deadpool sliced the bullet in half with his sword. That was pretty cool.

Yeah, I've pretty much heard from a lot of critics that characters like Deadpool, Gambit, and Blob are included for no real reason other than just to finally make a film appearance. I did like the one T.V. ad I saw though, where Deadpool sliced the bullet in half with his sword. That was pretty cool.

I guess I didn't get that feeling that they were in there just to make a appearance. They were part of the same team so it made sense just I personally just wish they were in there more.

Gambit's appearance made sense within the story, it was within his best interest for this lunatic to go ahead and slaughter everyone on the island so there was never any danger of him ever returning. I think it was a cool intro for the character, something they can definitely develop later on - be that in his own flick or the next Wolverine one, should they go there.

Any news on box office numbers yet? I suppose it is early. I will say that the opening nights here have been great business. Don't know if it will have the legs though.

I went to an early showing today and it was decent enough, but not any close to on par with any of the other XMen films, thus a bit of a letdown.

There is a short scene (pretty big spoiler, too) at the end of the film after all the credits roll, by the way.

Supposedly there are 3 alternate post-credit endings which will be shown at different theaters.

Fox lied about the "completed" version so no surprise there. Nothing's different besides the special effects put in, some editing twinks, a few changed lines, and they're giving you different scenes after the credits to get you to go back and watch this shitty movie again:

Version 1

Wolverine is in a Japanese bar and the female bartender asks him if he's drinking to forgot. He responds with "I'm drinking to remember."

Version 2

The rubble of the destroyed nuclear plant is zoomed in. We see Barakapool’s hand out of the rumble and then we see his head on the floor with the hand reaching for his head, which says "Shhhh..."

The ending that I saw after the credits wasn't either of those.

It was Striker walking down the highway and he gets approached by a military vehicle and the soldier that pulls him over says they would like to question him about killing the admiral (or whatever higher ranking official he stabbed right before he activated "Deadpool")

The ending that I saw after the credits wasn't either of those.

It was Striker walking down the highway and he gets approached by a military vehicle and the soldier that pulls him over says they would like to question him about killing the admiral (or whatever higher ranking official he stabbed right before he activated "Deadpool")

You didn't stay long enough, that was a scene they cut in almost immediately after the credits started rolling, all prints likely have it...........then there is ANOTHER one after ALL the credits roll.

I stayed right until the movie stopped rolling. Till the end of the credits and everything. There was no extra scene on the print that I saw. Unless the theater just didn't run it, cause I knew there was an extra scene, so I waited till they stopped the projector and turned the lights on. Shitty.

I didn't hate it. I thought it was better then X-men 3 on my original viewing, My biggest beef was the

Deadpool

thing.

I didn't hate it. I thought it was better then X-men 3 on my original viewing, My biggest beef was the

Deadpool

thing.

My only beef with that is

I wish they could have just created a 100% new guy or used a already established mutant, not just repackage Deadpool.

Well, I saw this movie today, and I thought it was good, but they pretty much wrecked the Deadpool character. I mean, it seemed like he was only in the movie for like 5 minutes near the beginning, and I thought it was dumb that

they refer to Weapon 11 as Deadpool at the end. Even though I really enjoyed the fight scene with Weapon 11, it was really stupid to call that Deadpool.

Omega Red would've been cool.

See that would have been awesome! Didn't even think of him.

Repackaging Deadpool seemed lazy but at the same time so many would have bitched if they included another guy. So probaly damned if you do damned if you don't with that whole situation.

Regarding Deadpool

Deadpool was portrayed fine. Yeah they took a bit of a spin with the character but it works when you think about it. We all know Deadpool under the mask looks pretty much like shit due to all the damage he's taken in fights and also because his cancer. If there happens to be a spin off, they can use what happen in Wolverine to explain why he looks that way without saying he's had cancer for years. They'll have to explain why he can't shoot laser beams out of his eyes or teleport anymore but still has his healing powers but they can now explain his look a lot easier now.

And for those bitching that he didn't have a lot of time in the movie, shut up. The movie was about Wolverine, not Deadpool. I like Deadpool as much as the next guy but the movie wasn't about him. The way the movie introduced him and promoted the Deadpool character was fine enough. The movie really put him over as a badass fighter.

Deadpool was portrayed fine. Yeah they took a bit of a spin with the character but it works when you think about it. We all know Deadpool under the mask looks pretty much like shit due to all the damage he's taken in fights and also because his cancer. If there happens to be a spin off, they can use what happen in Wolverine to explain why he looks that way without saying he's had cancer for years.

Dude, no. What they did to that guy was total character assassination. They should've called him by a completely different name, since it in no way was the character who goes by that name in the comics.

They'll have to explain why he can't shoot laser beams out of his eyes or teleport anymore but still has his healing powers but they can now explain his look a lot easier now.

What?! No, this is NOT easier. "I have cancer. It's made me ugly." Presto, explanation over! And exactly how would he lose all those powers and regain the ability to speak? Yeah, I know there's some bullshit technobabble way to explain anything, but it'll still be a stretch. Also, if they're doing a Deadpool movie, the studio simply will not allow the guy to look like that for the entire movie. Regardless of the fact that the fanboys pay money to see the masked superheroes, the studios think that the audience really wants to see Tobey Maguire's face, so they use any excuse possible to take Spidey's mask off at the drop of a hat. They won't greenlight an entire movie starring Ryan Reynolds with him either hidden under a mask or under layers of prosthetic makeup throughout the entire film.

Deadpool was portrayed fine. Yeah they took a bit of a spin with the character but it works when you think about it. We all know Deadpool under the mask looks pretty much like shit due to all the damage he's taken in fights and also because his cancer. If there happens to be a spin off, they can use what happen in Wolverine to explain why he looks that way without saying he's had cancer for years.

Dude, no. What they did to that guy was total character assassination. They should've called him by a completely different name, since it in no way was the character who goes by that name in the comics.

They'll have to explain why he can't shoot laser beams out of his eyes or teleport anymore but still has his healing powers but they can now explain his look a lot easier now.

What?! No, this is NOT easier. "I have cancer. It's made me ugly." Presto, explanation over!

And exactly how would he lose all those powers and regain the ability to speak? Yeah, I know there's some bullshit technobabble way to explain anything, but it'll still be a stretch. Also, if they're doing a Deadpool movie, the studio simply will not allow the guy to look like that for the entire movie. Regardless of the fact that the fanboys pay money to see the masked superheroes, the studios think that the audience really wants to see Tobey Maguire's face, so they use any excuse possible to take Spidey's mask off at the drop of a hat. They won't greenlight an entire movie starring Ryan Reynolds with him either hidden under a mask or under layers of prosthetic makeup throughout the entire film.

He can already talk again. There's nothing to explain.

How did they destroy Deadpool? He was exactly what Deadpool pretty much is. A smartass, fast talking, bad ass assassin. Yeah they made him into Weapon XI for about 20 minutes but it will explain his damaged look he has currently in the comics without having a whole lot of backstory and why wouldn't they want Deadpool to look like Deadpool in the comics with his mask off?

That makes no sense. It's Marvel, other than Kingpin and a few others, they normally go for the look each of their characters have when they make a movie around that character. That's why they got Tobey Maguire to play Spiderman. He has the look Marvel wants for Peter Parker. That's why they got Hugh Jackman to play Wolverine and Robert Downey Jr. to play Tony Stark. They all look the part. Deadpool looks like shit under his mask, noticed that Deadpool/Weapon XI pretty much looked like shit due to all the experiments. Why is this such a big fuss?

Film raked in $87 million this weekend, which is a strong opening. Is there any real competition coming in the next little while? I know there are serious summer blockbusters on their way this year, but Wolverine will be said and done by then. This should mean at least a decent run at the box office, enough to intice them to give us some f'n Wolvie in Japan. Silver Samurai, bitch!

And, uh, yeah, add me to the list of people who don't really have a problem at all with the portrayal of Deadpool.

Is there any real competition coming in the next little while?

Star Trek. Next week.

I don't understand how anyone could not have problems with Deadpool in this movie, unless you're just not a fan of the comic character. Because the guy in this movie isn't Deadpool at all, he's a completely different person with completely different powers, look, and origin who just happens to have that name slapped onto him. He's nothing like the comic character. He's not even the only one, several of the others in the movie are fucked up just as badly, but Deadpool is easily the most popular and obviously the one they stuck in there the most just to suck up to the fanboys crowd. It's kinda like how Batman and Robin gave us that godawful thing which claimed to be Bane, or how Spider-Man 3 fucked over everyone who was a Venom fan. The studio forced those characters into the movie for no reason other than they heard "hey, those comic kids sure love Deadpool/Bane/Venom a lot, so make sure he's in our next film!" and then the filmmakers either didn't know or didn't care who the fuck those characters were or what their defining attributes consisted of. In the comics, Deadpool is not a mutant, he's got cancer, he's a gleeful motormouthed sociopath, and he knows he's in a comic book. The guy in the movie is... none of that.

Oh right, that movie.

Yeah, nice knowin' ya, Jackman.

You have good points, Jingus. I agree, for the most part. Although, it is obvious you have much more invested within the character than I do, which is the difference here. My experience of Deadpool is Marvel Ultimate Alliance for my PSP, so yeah.

Man, he is fuckin' awesome in that though, I must say.

In the comics, Deadpool is not a mutant, he's got cancer, he's a gleeful motormouthed sociopath, and he knows he's in a comic book. The guy in the movie is... none of that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Deadpool have the ability to heal himself? Wouldn't that make him a mutant?

He does, but it was an ability that was Frankensteined onto him, he's not a natural mutant.

If anyone wants to see an example of a screen-adapted Deadpool done absolutely right, check out the Hulk vs. Wolverine cartoon. That's the character's comic personality done to a T.

I haven't seen it posted in any of the spoilers but..

I've seen that there was another ending attached to the film in which Wade (Reynolds) walks to the rubble that was left after Logan / XI fight and see's the lone head. Picking it up he looks it over and says: "Who are you supposed to be?" ..leaving it open that XI wasn't Deadpool all along and more along the lines of a clone.

Hugh Jackman and Seed Planning Wolverine 2

Source:Variety May 5, 2009

Variety reports that Hugh Jackman and Seed Productions partner John Palermo are developing a sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Fox and Seed are in development on a sequel to "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which topped the domestic box office over the weekend.

The Seed partners have begun planning the sequel, which they are squarely focusing on the samurai storyline originated in the comic series, and whose Japanese locale was teased after the film's final credits. A writer has yet to be hired. Seed will produce.

Source: http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=8304

I've seen that there was another ending attached to the film in which Wade (Reynolds) walks to the rubble that was left after Logan / XI fight and see's the lone head. Picking it up he looks it over and says: "Who are you supposed to be?" ..leaving it open that XI wasn't Deadpool all along and more along the lines of a clone.

I keep seeing that rumor mentioned, but I don't think I've actually heard from anyone who saw it themselves.

From Marvel.com:

Did YOU stay for the credits of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine?"

We certainly hope so because there are two different Easter Eggs to look out for after the credits run and they kick off two sequels!

*****SPOILER ALERT******

Be warned: if you haven't seen "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" yet, the next few paragraphs will reveal plot points you may want to see for yourself!

One Easter Egg involves Wolverine sitting at a bar in Japan and delves into that backstory.

The other is about Deadpool. Yes, Deadpool!

The newly confirmed Deadpool film, which would be produced by Lauren Shuler Donner and Marvel, has Ryan Reynolds slated to star and would be a complete exploration of the character - his origins, his emergence as the Merc with the Mouth, and more!

We sure can't wait, how about you?

In the meantime, check out classic Deadpool right now in Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited!

This has continued to do huge business over the weekend. Star Trek will probably have the legs, but it couldn't top the money Wolverine made in it's opening weekend. At least this guarentees a Japan spin-off, I'm amped. Bring back Gambit, too.