TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Old School

What the hell is a "helmet match"? I have to assume that it has to do with that stupid Hulk Fist contraption Hogan was wearing around that time. And that show looks fantastic from a nostalgia standpoint.

Around this time, Hogan was wearing a helmet during house shows. He brought one to the ring with him against Bad News Brown at MSG. I'm sure they used the same ending for this match.

I come across a great deal of wrestling magazines from this era. I recall seeing one with a cover featuring Hogan wearing this stupid helmet with a caption about how the WWF needed to ban it.

How is the unseen Piper-Muraco match on the new Maple Leaf Gardens show? Is it a wild brawl like their Boston match, which was on one of the Best of WWF tapes back then

This MSG card sounds promising and I don't think I've ever seen this Hart Foundation/Rockers match.

But I'll be the one to say it: Shawn and Marty's trunks are WAY too tight. Let's leave something to the imagination, boys.

November 25, 1989 - Madison Square Garden

-- Haku vs. Paul Roma

-- The Hart Foundation vs. The Rockers

-- Al Perez vs. Brooklyn Brawler

-- Ted Dibiase vs. Jake Roberts

-- Tito Santana vs. Bad News Brown

-- Hercules vs. Dino Bravo

-- Randy Savage vs. Jim Duggan

December 17, 1988 -- Spectrum

-- The Red Rooster vs. Sam Houston

-- Mr. Perfect vs. Paul Roma

-- Rick Rude vs. Brutus Beefcake

-- The Rockers vs. The Brainbusters

-- IC Champ The Ultimate Warrior vs. The Honky Tonk Man

-- Harley Race vs. Danny Davis

-- WWF Champ Randy Savage vs. King Haku

-- Jim Duggan vs. Frenchy Martin

-- Andre the Giant vs. Jake Roberts

Man, that is a fucking empty crowd. Poor Savage. There were a lot of foulmouthed fans at ringside. Tons of bleeps during the tag match. And what the FUCK is going on with Bobby Heenan's hair? Yikes.

Man, that is a fucking empty crowd. Poor Savage. There were a lot of foulmouthed fans at ringside. Tons of bleeps during the tag match. And what the FUCK is going on with Bobby Heenan's hair? Yikes.

I ws just about to post this. The crowd at this Philly show looks emptier then the crowd a those final few AWA shows they've been playing on ESPN Classic. They're really bad too, between the swearing, the boring chants, and the general lack of interest. This show really sucked.

That's probably why they stopped televising the Spectrum shows locally so that they could get more people in for the live shows, but from looking at attendances for this year only shows featuring Hogan drew well there. This card only drew 5,723 for a Saturday afternoon and the previous months card in November featuring Hogan drew 12,062 so more than double

There is a Rockers vs Arn and Tully match-up on that card and you can never go wrong with that pairing.

Take my word for it, even that match wasn't that good.

The WWE Classics On Demand staffers aren't necessarily wrestling fans themselves. I'd imagine they showed the higher-ups the matchlist for the Spectrum show and got it approved irrespective of the quality of the content.

The person I used to have contact with at programming seemed to have a clue, but on the flip side he once picked out an Old School card because he thought Duke Doherty's commentary was hilarious (it was previously unheard on 24/7 up to that point, I believe). It was kind of funny.

There is a Rockers vs Arn and Tully match-up on that card and you can never go wrong with that pairing.

Take my word for it, even that match wasn't that good.

Eh, it was good. Not GREAT, but solid. Loved the bit where Michaels was shoulderblocked by AA and Tully bumrushed the ring just to berate Michaels.

I've only seen up to the end of the tag match so far but it's funny how when Heenan gives a wisecrack about a face, instead of acting repulsed like most face announcers do, Graham just laughs.

So far the line of the night came in the 1st minute of the broadcast when a fan walking to his seat chanted "Weasel" behind the Brain's back . . . Heenan: Surprised they let some people vote.

Just watched the 1st half of the 3/90 MSG show (Have no clue when it aired on CoD). The announcers were hyping up WMVI during Powers/Sharpe. Lord Alfred noted it's a good opportunity to throw a big party w/ girls to watch the event. Monsoon, ever the saavy businessman, cut off Hayes noting that he preferred to watch ppvs by himself. "That way you can sit back and watch it in your underwear or pick your nose" he noted. I guess that explains his whereabouts during RR90.

Is this Boston Show from 10/87 that's currently up a repeat from a few months ago? Some of these shows are so similar that it's hard to tell.

Dear God, who the fuck thought giving Pete Doherty 10+ minutes was a good idea? And he WON! I guess that's one of his five wins.