TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 94 - Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

Fuck off Warriorfan.

WHAT NOW BITCH!!

Don't think I forget about you.

HE QUIT!

You're a retard... Why don't you talk about how Vitor/Tito are going to rematch despite Vitor fighting at 185 now, or Fedor/Lesnar unifying the WHAMMA and UFC titles.

Fucking moron.

I know your still traumatized after watching BJ QUIT last night so I will over look this comment.

I'm totally fine with using my comment.

Also, lots more judo is gonna start to be applied in MMA. In my opinion alot of the footsweeps (which are used somewhat in wrestling but not really because GR doesn't allow leg trips and freestyle is played so low) are going to be utilized in conjunction with muay thai and clinching. The best example of this is Lyoto, who has used awesome footsweeps both against Thiago and against Tito. I think it's gotten a bad rap because of guys like Remco Pardoel, but Judo, due to its straight up stance will prove to be pretty effective. Most fans who think "Wrestling/BJJ/Muay Thai/Conditioning FTW" are wrong, if only for the fact that some of these arts themselves evolve alot (BJJ now is wayyyy different than ten years ago).

302qfs5.gif

That tells the story of what would have happened if Penn saw the 5th round. GSP's frustration would have been ugly to watch.

I know that GSP is elite, one of the very best, but people making a case for him to maybe top the P4P list after this is a little silly. He beat a smaller fighter, he's yet to move up in weight and take on bigger guys. Where as Silva's done it, and Fedor is fighting at a barely heavyweight weight to begin with and dominates.

I felt bad for Bonnar in that fight. He just never had an answer.

Granted Jones gassed himself and it would have been possible for Stephan to put the fight away at the end

Um. BJ Penn is a really awesome fighter. Do you know that? If St. Pierre raped him, he would have caused less physical, mental, and emotional damage than what he did Saturday. St. Pierre has serious, serious, skills. Very few flaws. His all-round game is by far the best in MMA. I heart Fedor. But between his last performance and Georges' most recent, the difference is striking. I could go on for days about how fucking good Rush is. His performance last night was another level from what everyone else is fighting. Lots of people make comments about size, but straight-up, St. Pierre was better. Period. Dramatically better. That performance is PHD MMA, to me.

GSP made it a close, clinch fight to get BJ's shoulders filled with lactic acid and therefore get tired, which would affect his boxing, ability to defend standing and on the ground. How fucked up is that? He has scientists examining his opponents, breaking them down to a molecular level, examining their DNA to find out their genetic weaknesses and predispositions. When asked about the takedown attempts in the first two rounds, Rush is saying the strategy wasn't to get takedowns, because then it would be a JJ fight. The strategy was to make BJ fight off the takedowns. Mindblowing stuff.

I know that GSP is elite, one of the very best, but people making a case for him to maybe top the P4P list after this is a little silly. He beat a smaller fighter, he's yet to move up in weight and take on bigger guys. Where as Silva's done it, and Fedor is fighting at a barely heavyweight weight to begin with and dominates.

OK so by this logic you feed GSP someone like McFedries and when he whups his ass (by taking him to the ground, of course) then he's atop the P4P list? Seems like flawed thinking there. Mind you, Alves is basically a middleweight so I suppose that would count, no?

That being said, I would still say that Fedor's #1 on this P4P list with GSP second due to Silva fighting inferior competition in some of his recent bouts.

Saying I know that GSP is always high on the list for being as good as he is, but he doesn't test outside of his division like BJ and Ando do. And let's face it, Fedor is always the smaller guy in his fights. A win against an opponent smaller than he usually faces doesn't bump him, even someone as good as BJ

But Fedor is in a shit division. GSP is in arguably the most stacked division in MMA and dominates it. He has no shortage of fighters to choose from, so he doesn't move up. A win over BJ is better than a win over Irvin.

PFP is purely in regards to skill and the fighter in relation to his division (his competition). If you want to say that Fedor could beat any fighter in the world, that's fine. If you want to say that Fedor could beat a bigger, stronger, heavyweight GSP (or do as well as a smaller WW) you'd be fairly nuts. A division with highly skilled fighters (WW) is a lot tougher to succeed in than one with few (HW), and therefore a fighter who dominates such a division deserves greater respect. In terms of wrestling, JJ, striking, strategy, conditioning, etc. do you really think Fedor is better than GSP? GSP is the better wrestler, is better conditioned, is the better striker (Fedor has more KO power, but GSP outshines him in terms of footwork, technique, variety of strikes, percentages landing, etc.), has better offensive positioning (I'd go so far as to say ground game, though Fedor may be better of his back), and I'd say GSP has better GnP at this point (It's been a while since those Nog and Heath beatings). Not to mention one of Fedor's best features -his strategy- was missing from his last fight (unless you really are going to say he intentionally lulled Arlovski into throwing a flying knee), while Georges displayed excellent gameplanning against BJ. Skill for skill, I'd put GSP against anyone.

If the standard for P4P in MMA is the same as in boxing then, GSP is not P4P, yet. In order to that he has to move up and down(down, maybe not so much) in weight classes and get significant wins in order for that distinction. Most boxers in order to even be considered P4P have to have or currently hold titles in multiple weight divisions. Of course in boxing there are a lot more titles to go around, so I guess that comparison is not completely on the level, but scrap the holding of titles part, with merely moving up in weight to take on and beat opponents in the next weight division.

Take Pac-Man for example, a lot of experts thought moving up to fight De La Hoya would take away some of his speed, and De La Hoya would be able to brush off his jab, walk through it and take the fight to Manny. Well, NOPE. Pac-Man laid an ass-whooping on the bigger, stronger fighter and to me, THAT is something that makes the case for P4P.

To say GSP is the best in his weight division by an overwhelming amount, is not a stretch, but I think to call him best P4P is.

But Fedor is in a shit division. GSP is in arguably the most stacked division in MMA and dominates it. He has no shortage of fighters to choose from, so he doesn't move up. A win over BJ is better than a win over Irvin.

PFP is purely in regards to skill and the fighter in relation to his division (his competition). If you want to say that Fedor could beat any fighter in the world, that's fine. If you want to say that Fedor could beat a bigger, stronger, heavyweight GSP (or do as well as a smaller WW) you'd be fairly nuts. A division with highly skilled fighters (WW) is a lot tougher to succeed in than one with few (HW), and therefore a fighter who dominates such a division deserves greater respect. In terms of wrestling, JJ, striking, strategy, conditioning, etc. do you really think Fedor is better than GSP? GSP is the better wrestler, is better conditioned, is the better striker (Fedor has more KO power, but GSP outshines him in terms of footwork, technique, variety of strikes, percentages landing, etc.), has better offensive positioning (I'd go so far as to say ground game, though Fedor may be better of his back), and I'd say GSP has better GnP at this point (It's been a while since those Nog and Heath beatings). Not to mention one of Fedor's best features -his strategy- was missing from his last fight (unless you really are going to say he intentionally lulled Arlovski into throwing a flying knee), while Georges displayed excellent gameplanning against BJ. Skill for skill, I'd put GSP against anyone.

The HW division might be weak in 2008, but it hasn't been the entire time Fedor has been undefeated. Also, as far as Fedor's strategy for the Arlovsky fight, dude the fight was 36 seconds long. A lot of fighters don't show their cards in the first round. Arlovsky obviously had a good game plan, and he came out executing, but he still ended up KO'd, so an argument could be made that Arlovsky was in the best form he could possibly be, and STILL GOT KTFO.

Boxing also has weight classes separated by 3 or 4 pounds. MMA doesn't. It's a lot different to go up weight classes in MMA.

True, so Manny won titles in the 126-130 division and at 147, so even if you throw out the titles he held in weight division in between, it is still pretty impressive that a guy so tiny could move up and maintain he his speed and power.

Dana's recent blog is fantastic. Gono practicing his entrance, his Stephan Bonnar post-fight pep talk, him being PISSED about vasgate, Wandy betting him $100 on Tavares (and subsequently rubbing his belly, saying that it's going to pay for his dinner). Oh, and BJ looking broken

The HW division might be weak in 2008, but it hasn't been the entire time Fedor has been undefeated.

Yes, it has, at least compared to almost every other division in MMA. There was never a point in MMA where someone with the skillsets of Tim Sylvia or Jeff Monson would ever sniff the Top 10 of any division other than HW.

Boxing also has weight classes separated by 3 or 4 pounds. MMA doesn't. It's a lot different to go up weight classes in MMA.

True, so Manny won titles in the 126-130 division and at 147, so even if you throw out the titles he held in weight division in between, it is still pretty impressive that a guy so tiny could move up and maintain he his speed and power.

Wouldn't Manny be the exception, not the rule in jumping up that much in weight in boxing? As you noted, jumping nearly 20lbs when you normally fight at 130 is a huge step up in weight.

Also, don't they invent catchweight titles in boxing for the sake of making fights seem that much bigger?

Anyway, doesn't it seem like the P4P rankings are there simply to stimulate discussion? Silva's in arguably the weakest division in the UFC, yet he sits atop some P4P rankings. As I said, GSP is probably on top of some others because he has dominated the deepest division in the UFC and I don't think he needs to choke out McFedries to prove that he can hang outside of 170.

Fedor... well his fight with Arlovski really didn't do anything to make people think differently about him. Me, I think he still stays on top, lucky punch or no. It's not like he's a shit fighter that gets in a lucky shot each time out.

Why's Dana acting all surprised? It's not like it's the first time someone for Jackson's has been accused of greasing.

<Insert greasy Mexican and/or Diego Sanchez joke here>

Why's Dana acting all surprised? It's not like it's the first time someone for Jackson's has been accused of greasing.

<Insert greasy Mexican joke here>

...and Roger Huerta said, "That's just the vaseline!"

*rimshot*

Huerta v. Florian is the only one I know of for sure, though now people have brought up previous accusations from Miller(v. GSP), Serra (v. GSP II) and Ortiz (v. Evans).

Even if true, it's arguable if it had any bearing the way any of those fights turned out, but it's still a pretty big deal, especially if it turns out to be a common things for Jackson cornermen to do.