TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 94 - Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

- ST. PIERRE TRAINER RESPONDS TO ALLEGATIONS

Monday, February 02, 2009 - by Tom Hamlin - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fighters of Greg Jackson’s team are no strangers to ritual inside the Octagon. First there’s the “Jackson nipple tweak,” a bizarre, if amusing, twist of the nipples his fighters often do before fighting, believed to prepare them for intense battle inside the Octagon. Now, there appears to be a new ritual in Jackson’s camp, and it’s the source of controversy following Georges St. Pierre’s rout of B.J. Penn at Saturday’s UFC 94.

St. Pierre’s cornermen, including Jackson, were at the center of a storm at UFC 94 after officials from the Nevada State Athletic Commission approached them during the fight to investigate allegations that they were applying Vasoline to St. Pierre in between rounds.

Jackson spoke to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday afternoon and said the misunderstanding arose after Phil Nurse, one of St. Pierre’s cornermen, executed a ritual taught by a member of St. Pierre’s team, a “witch doctor” named Steven Friend.

“So in between rounds, (Friend) had this little drill that you do – and Phil Nurse is the one who knows how to do it – he showed Phil, and this is what Georges wanted, so we did that,” Jackson said. “But this is why we were doing it. He rubbed your back and tapped your chest; I don’t know exactly how it works. But anyways, what that’s supposed to do is get your energy in line, or motivated or whatever. So in between rounds, we had Phil Nurse do that.”

Jackson said St. Pierre has worked with Friend for years, since the French Canadian began training at Jackson’s academy in Albuquerque, N.M. Jackson says Friend has also worked with Matt Hughes and Randy Couture in preparation for their fights. Friend was featured in the sixth season of “The Ultimate Fighter” as a guest of Hughes.

“The controversy came because Phil Nurse also was putting Vasoline on Georges’ eyebrows,” Jackson elaborated. “In between rounds, you always want to put on Vasoline on (a fighter’s face). So Phil Nurse put all the Vasoline on his face, so his hands might have had a miniscule amount left over from that, when he went around the side and rubbed a little point on his back, and tapped on his chest.

“At that point, somebody in the audience thought we were greasing George down, and ran over and told the commission that we were greasing his body down. The commission came in and said ‘you can’t grease him down,’ which didn’t work. They said ‘you’re putting Vasoline on his back,’ and Phil’s like, ‘oh, there might be a little on my fingers, but it wasn’t intentional at all, and of course they wiped it right off and it was gone, so it wasn’t a factor in the fight at all.”

Indeed, much of the fight played out with St. Pierre on top of Penn, doling out a vicious ground and pound attack. Jackson said after a little explaining, the commission realized what was going on.

“We told our side of the story, we said didn’t mean to put any grease anywhere,” he said. “If we were trying to grease the back we’d be greasing up and down, we would make it count. We wouldn’t do a little tiny spot in the back. The whole thing doesn’t make any sense, so they were fine with it once we gave our explanation. It wasn’t like we were taking gobs of Vasoline and slathering on his back. They didn’t understand the drill that the witch doctor was having us do, and so it looked that way. It didn’t effect the fight at all.”

At this point, no formal complaint has been filed with the NSAC. The popular trainer chalks the whole incident up to fan paranoia.

“The whole greasing thing is pretty ridiculous,” he said. “You can’t grease somebody up. You just couldn’t do it. They check your body before you get into the cage, there’s an inspector right there. In order for us to grease him up, it would be insane. There are cameras everywhere. We don’t cheat. We don’t need to cheat to win.”

Jackson said he wasn’t aware if St. Pierre’s ritual was related to the infamous “nipple tweak,” as the whole business was “out of his domain.” As long as it made his fighter feel better, he was all for it.

“If it works, we’re going to use it,” he said.

Okay, the witch doctor thing is a bit much but Greg makes a good point about how it'd be pretty stupid to attempt greasing, especially with everybody watching.

Huerta v. Florian is the only one I know of for sure, though now people have brought up previous accusations from Miller(v. GSP), Serra (v. GSP II) and Ortiz (v. Evans).

Even if true, it's arguable if it had any bearing the way any of those fights turned out, but it's still a pretty big deal, especially if it turns out to be a common things for Jackson cornermen to do.

I think something came about during Sanchez/Diaz as well - which would've been when Diego was still with Jackson's. But of course, Nick Diaz is batshit insane.

Forgot that Sherk accused GSP, too.

Anyway, Jackson has some good points about how hard it would take to get away with greasing... but that doesn't make it impossible to get away with it. It could also be argued that if you get away with it once, it's plausible to find a method of avoiding detection that works.

Both Diaz & Karo are pretty batshit and accuse everyone of everything (Tito too, to some extent), so I can't give their claims too much credit by themselves. Someone like Florian or Sherk, though, I'd see as having little reason to make baseless claims

Anyway, Jackson has some good points about how hard it would take to get away with greasing... but that doesn't make it impossible to get away with it.

Same thing with nutshots and grabbing the fence. I'm always surprised more fighters don't try to get in one "accidental" nutshot in the beginning of the fight since they won't get punished. You also have at least one free fence grab per fight.

Forgot that Sherk accused GSP, too.

Anyway, Jackson has some good points about how hard it would take to get away with greasing... but that doesn't make it impossible to get away with it. It could also be argued that if you get away with it once, it's plausible to find a method of avoiding detection that works.

Both Diaz & Karo are pretty batshit and accuse everyone of everything (Tito too, to some extent), so I can't give their claims too much credit by themselves. Someone like Florian or Sherk, though, I'd see as having little reason to make baseless claims

Sherk's broken nose was clouding his judgement.

Tito Trinidad fucked Fernando Vargas' world up with a groin shot in their bout because he new he wouldn't get DQ'ed right away.

Anyway, someone mentioned that GSP wasn't with Jackson's versus Sherk & Miller, so there may not be much correlation, unless GSP and/or Jackson's were doing it before teaming up.

Is it wrong that I'm amused by the idea of Greg Jackson being the Eddie Harris of MMA?

[Looking at his chest] Crisco.

[wiping across his head] Bardol.

[wiping along his waist line] Vagisil... Of course if the umps are watching me real close I'll rub a little jalapeno up my nose...

*Backstage at the MGM Grand in a shadowy corner stand Greg Jackson and Phil Nurse wearing their Silver Star t-shirts.*

Greg: I need to talk to you about Georges.

Phil: What about him?

Greg: I'm worried. Worried that we haven't done enough to prepare him for what's to come.

Phil: I wasn't going to say anything but I'm worried too. I just wish there was something we could do now but I fear the hour has passed.

Greg: Maybe not, old friend.

Phil: What do you mean, master?

Greg: Well.....you love Georges, right Phil?

Phil: Of course.

Greg: And you'd do anything in your power to make sure he wins, right?

Phil: Absolutely.

*Jackson grins devilshly*

Greg: I thought so. I only need one thing from you in the fight, Phil.

*Phil looks confused*

Phil: You mean besides coaching?

Greg: Yes. This is something even more important then coaching.

*Hands Phil a jar of vaseline*

Phil: Mother of God.....I'd hoped we'd never see this day.

2BeContinued......

On the free nutshot thing...if I was a fighter I wouldn't even try to pull it off because I'd be too scared of a possible backlash from fans, fighters, officials, etc. That's why I have to grudgingly respect someone like Kongo. It's so obvious that he just doesn't give a fuck.

Is it wrong that I'm amused by the idea of Greg Jackson being the Eddie Harris of MMA?

[Looking at his chest] Crisco.

[wiping across his head] Bardol.

[wiping along his waist line] Vagisil... Of course if the umps are watching me real close I'll rub a little jalapeno up my nose...

Ahahaha, props, I just watched Major League last night.

"Rashad Evans sucks despite being undefeated, a champion, and the #1 ranked LHW in the world!"

Too bad he couldn't go to Joe Scarola's school of FIGHTING WARRIORS, and become a great MMA fighter!

Oh please. Don't bring up where I train like its some big revelation. I train at a BJJ school to learn BJJ under a talented black belt. I'm not out to become a MMA fighter.

I never said Rashad or GSP weren't talented, they obviously are. But that doesn't mean I have to blow a load every time I hear their name. I wasn't the only one who thought Forrest and BJ were going to win and I wasn't the only one who supported the fighter he picked.

I don't mind hearing the smack talk come back to me because the fighter I picked lost, but don't make it a personal attack.

Oh please. Don't bring up where I train like its some big revelation. I train at a BJJ school to learn BJJ under a talented black belt. I'm not out to become a MMA fighter.

I never said Rashad or GSP weren't talented, they obviously are. But that doesn't mean I have to blow a load every time I hear their name. I wasn't the only one who thought Forrest and BJ were going to win and I wasn't the only one who supported the fighter he picked.

I don't mind hearing the smack talk come back to me because the fighter I picked lost, but don't make it a personal attack.

You never said Rashad or GSP weren't talented? How about in past posts were you were saying "Rashad Evans sucks" or that he has 0 chance against Chuck Liddell?

You don't want to make it personal, yet for weeks in and weeks out you have been obnoxious and a pure asshole, yet when I make a personal attack you start to cry. Shut the fuck up. You were making even BJ Penn fans like myself embarassed.

Oh go fuck yourself. I wasn't the only one being obnoxious going into this fight. I wasn't the only one claiming their fighter was going to win and talking trash about the other one. I wasn't the only one on Team Penn.

I don't like Rashad Evans and I don't like GSP. Hell, I don't like most of the people that come out of Greg Jacksons camp. But I never said Rashad had no shot against Chuck. In fact, I was hoping for Chuck to pull it off with his stand-up, but it was unknown the shape his knees were in. I didn't expect the KO in that fight, but not many others did either.

Talk all the shit you want. I'm flattered that you pay so much attention to my posts and training. I would respond with personal attacks towards you if I even gave a damn to remember anything you post.

Oh go fuck yourself. I wasn't the only one being obnoxious going into this fight. I wasn't the only one claiming their fighter was going to win and talking trash about the other one. I wasn't the only one on Team Penn.

I don't like Rashad Evans and I don't like GSP. Hell, I don't like most of the people that come out of Greg Jacksons camp. But I never said Rashad had no shot against Chuck. In fact, I was hoping for Chuck to pull it off with his stand-up, but it was unknown the shape his knees were in. I didn't expect the KO in that fight, but not many others did either.

Talk all the shit you want. I'm flattered that you pay so much attention to my posts and training. I would respond with personal attacks towards you if I even gave a damn to remember anything you post.

Shut up, theres even evidence in another posters signature of the stupidity you said before the Rashad/Chuck fight. And it's kind of hard not to know where you train when every 1/10 posts you make you mention it, and have "Member of Gracie Barra" in your custom title, like you're waving your e-dick around you douchebag.

The evidence in another posters signature is a friend of mine who is doing is just to make a joke. I said Chuck was going to beat Rashad, but I was wrong. So what? I thought Chuck would KO him, but I questioned his knees going into it and thought Rashad would be able to lay on him for three rounds. Again, I didn't see his KO coming.

I'm not the only one on the board who trains, either. Hell, someone here trains at GSP's gym up in Canada and even talked about his training with Rashad going into this fight. And wow, I have that I'm from Gracie Barra in my title. Oh my, how can I be such a snob rubbing it in your face.

I'll wave my e-dick around all I want cause I don't see you stopping me from doing it anytime soon.

The evidence in another posters signature is a friend of mine who is doing is just to make a joke. I said Chuck was going to beat Rashad, but I was wrong. So what? I thought Chuck would KO him, but I questioned his knees going into it and thought Rashad would be able to lay on him for three rounds. Again, I didn't see his KO coming.

I'm not the only one on the board who trains, either. Hell, someone here trains at GSP's gym up in Canada and even talked about his training with Rashad going into this fight. And wow, I have that I'm from Gracie Barra in my title. Oh my, how can I be such a snob rubbing it in your face.

You were obnoxious in your prediction, bashing Rashad as a fighter and his talent level. You've been bashing Rashad as a fighter for months now, yet you try to deny it. You're just making yourself look more stupid then you already have. Rashad has proven time in and time out to be an elite fighter, and everytime he proves you wrong you make excuses and still bash him as a fighter making you look more stupid.

I'll wave my e-dick around all I want cause I don't see you stopping me from doing it anytime soon.

Just like I don't see you stopping me for making fun of you for getting trained by a guy who made himself look like an idiot on national TV. Joe Scarola is up there with Andy Wang and Noah Inhofer as the biggest douchebags in TUF history. Atleast Andy Wang didnt pack his shit up after he lost because he wanted to go see his girl.